Hey,
    I am planning on starting a file/image uploading website using a custom script I wrote.
    I was wondering if anyone who has had experience with these kinds of sites before could give me some info on the bandwidth usage, disk space, ect. And what kind of package I would need. I was thinking of a VPS???
    Thanks!
    Edit: And can anyone recommend a good host with affordable VPS or dedicated server plans?

For file-sharing, a VPS would probably be best. Most Shared hosting providers have file-sharing prohibited in their Terms of Service. Do you need a control panel such as cPanel or DirectAdmin and do you need it managed or are you experienced with server administration?

Hey, thanks for responding.
    So what would a VPS be able to support? Say, 700 uploads a day?
    And I am flexible with both server administration and cPanel/phpadmin/whatever, though prefer cPanel.
    My main concern is not having enough space and affordability. I know it won't be cheap, but don't want to pay a whole hell of a lot.

Hey, thanks for responding.
    So what would a VPS be able to support? Say, 700 uploads a day?
    And I am flexible with both server administration and cPanel/phpadmin/whatever, though prefer cPanel.
    My main concern is not having enough space and affordability. I know it won't be cheap, but don't want to pay a whole hell of a lot.
    It would depend a lot upon how much resources you had available and the port speed you had available to your VPS as to how many uploads/downloads you could handle a day.
    cPanel VPS's and Managed VPS's (cPanel or not) are going to be more expensive than a bare-bones non-managed VPS for sure.
    What kind of budget are you working with?

$55-75 a mo
    I was looking at the packages here:
    http://www.surpasshosting.com/hosting-vps-solutions.php
    Would the first package be able to cater to my needs? I mean, I am not expecting to use much disk space or bandwidth until about 5 months later and by that time, I should have enough money to upgrade. . .

It would probably be a good starting point, I didn't look to see if it was managed or not or if a control panel was included.

cPanel is included.
    So, I should be ok starting off with anything relatively close to these stats:
    50GB Disk Space 500GB Bandwidth 512MB RAM
    Cuz then I will look at other hosts who offer similar numbers and try and find the most affordable/ best deal.
    Thank you so much for the help btw.

It really depends on what you have people uploading/downloading and how popular your service really is. For starting out it'd be overkill most likely but in the long run you'd eventually have to upgrade to a dedicated server (or a few) if things go well for you.

You might want to look at the Business services offered by megaupload.com where you can buy bandwidth/webspace from them and brand the entire thing to your company. Think of it as a reseller account for file hosting sites..

They want to use their custom script, so i am assuming that rebranding Megaupload wouldn't be ideal for them.
    A VPS account would definitely be an excellent starting point for you. Lots of storage, and you can modify it without worrying as well.
    Best of luck on your venture!

You will need lots of bandwidth, RAM and space. CPU might not be the problem but this depends on your script.

nick870123 Guest
    i set up my business on HourHost, and i think it's alright so far, you can have a look yourself to see if they offer what you need.
    all the best