Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dominator View Post
    I think there are just way to much and to many issues to list with onapp, I think that summarizes it. You can reduce hardware requirements and improve over all resources with Apache Cloud stack and for a paid product VMware vSphere. We are going though testing modes right now for both products

Openstack is the path to take, but implementing it takes time. We are hoping on releasing Openstack once we perform bench mark testings, and test I/O under heavy load. Maybe you can share some tips, I am open for any ideas.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Photonhelper View Post
    Openstack is the path to take, but implementing it takes time. We are hoping on releasing Openstack once we perform bench mark testings, and test I/O under heavy load. Maybe you can share some tips, I am open for any ideas.

thanks.
    Openstack is a great platform to build off. Everything is extremely well documented which makes using, building and fixing it easy. If you understand how things work, its a lot easier to find the root cause of the issues.

If you want something you can quickly get off the ground, OnApp is your goto solution. If someone came up to me asking me what platform a startup should use for VM hosting, OnApp would make the short list.

If you want something with powerful management tools, scaleable solutions and flexible networking options, you need to look elsewhere. I've spent way too much time saying "OnApp can't do that, OnApp can't do this" and pointed customers to our VMWare solution. Doing patch work to get OnApp up to par with our VMWare solution is just asking for trouble.

Every beast has its nature; however, our onapp is simply a beast.

These are the problems I deal with on daily basics, and to be truthful I wish they fix all of our problems. I just want to move on to more important matters than having to deal wit the same o BS.
    How about this, after they did the config, we were told there are some errors and that we should re-config, and yes - the fee they want is $1500, but they will be nice and do it for $750, since its not a big fix ... if this is the path they are heading, the cliff is not far off
    Rebel Networks
    Geek Powered Hosting - The Cloud Made Simple
    SuperHero 24 |7 | 365 Support
    Please Visit us @ www.rebelnetworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Quartet-Andrew View Post
    Openstack is a great platform to build off. Everything is extremely well documented which makes using, building and fixing it easy. If you understand how things work, its a lot easier to find the root cause of the issues.

If you want something you can quickly get off the ground, OnApp is your goto solution. If someone came up to me asking me what platform a startup should use for VM hosting, OnApp would make the short list.

If you want something with powerful management tools, scaleable solutions and flexible networking options, you need to look elsewhere. I've spent way too much time saying "OnApp can't do that, OnApp can't do this" and pointed customers to our VMWare solution. Doing patch work to get OnApp up to par with our VMWare solution is just asking for trouble.
    OpenStack being difficult is a misconception. Go to software.mirantis.com, download Fuel. It does all the PXE loading, etc. You can have a cloud 100% done in ~15-20 minutes with some reading. Makes deployment idiot proof. It's even instrumented for billing by way of Ceilometer.

The study that OnApp did on OpenStack vs OnApp makes me laugh a bit. They claim it to be for service providers, but I'd love to see a big service provider adopt it. OnApp is more geared towards small deployments and Enterprises that want those sorts of features. OnApp and OpenStack are very different things for different people and different scales.
    I <3 Linux Clusters

Network stops responding on VM machines, reasons unexplained. We were asked to wait two months for an upgrade that supposedly patches the random loss of network. Not to say how fun it was to implement the updates, took us almost two months to update to then be told that we need to upgrade again. LOL
    This is an easy one to solve only because I have experienced it and solved it ourselves.

The issue is related to large packets and the TSO/GSO handling in VM's. large packets cause the VM's network to lock up.

The solution is to add to your HV's start up (/etc/rc.local):
    /sbin/ethtool -K eth0 tso off gso off

Obviously replace eth0 with your public interface on the HV.
    If you don't want to do it on the HV as a whole you can add it to each individual VM.

Quote Originally Posted by nextcloud View Post
    OnApp is a great platform with huge potential.
    Yeah, not so much, at least not from the 'support' perspective.

Things work one day, fail to work the next, then 'support' comes in and blames something that's not been changed on our end for quite some time, all to avoid doing their jobs, or when they DO do ther jobs, everything just stops working.

It's (literally) a constant blame game with them. Everything is everyone else's problem or responsibility to fix, instead of just getting in there, doing their jobs and fixing the issues caused by their software.

Quote Originally Posted by murmaiderz View Post
    This is an easy one to solve only because I have experienced it and solved it ourselves.

The issue is related to large packets and the TSO/GSO handling in VM's. large packets cause the VM's network to lock up.

The solution is to add to your HV's start up (/etc/rc.local):
    /sbin/ethtool -K eth0 tso off gso off

Obviously replace eth0 with your public interface on the HV.
    If you don't want to do it on the HV as a whole you can add it to each individual VM.

I will have to look into that because last I remember the issue has to do with the iptables NAT replicating the same query over and over that render the ethernet. Usually a rebuild or migration of the VM fixes the problem, but def will look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    Yeah, not so much, at least not from the 'support' perspective.

Things work one day, fail to work the next, then 'support' comes in and blames something that's not been changed on our end for quite some time, all to avoid doing their jobs, or when they DO do ther jobs, everything just stops working.

It's (literally) a constant blame game with them. Everything is everyone else's problem or responsibility to fix, instead of just getting in there, doing their jobs and fixing the issues caused by their software.
    Its good to see that I am not alone here, and has to deals with the same nuisance with support.

Thanks for sharing Photonhelper , i guess i would be frustrated as well with such issues which in our case have never happened.

I hope Onapp can resolve your issues in some way, else i dont blame you for looking other options.

I wonder if their support gets better with huge deployments ?

Anybody here running onapp with 1000+ cores ?
    RACKNATION: Costa Rica DDOS Protected Servers & Colocation - [ https://www.racknation.cr ]

Quote Originally Posted by x86brandon View Post
    OpenStack being difficult is a misconception. Go to software.mirantis.com, download Fuel. It does all the PXE loading, etc. You can have a cloud 100% done in ~15-20 minutes with some reading. Makes deployment idiot proof. It's even instrumented for billing by way of Ceilometer.

The study that OnApp did on OpenStack vs OnApp makes me laugh a bit. They claim it to be for service providers, but I'd love to see a big service provider adopt it. OnApp is more geared towards small deployments and Enterprises that want those sorts of features. OnApp and OpenStack are very different things for different people and different scales.
    I agree, it doesn't take a rocket science to deploy an OpenStack cloud but if your looking to dive right into a solution with very little technical knowledge, it would be quite the learning curve.

When anyone publishes a whitepaper, they are of course going to tip the scale in their favour.

OnApp Storage is more stable than it used to be. We have seen some pretty horrific failures of drives/hypervisors and were able to repair it. Now that they have improved the stability, I hope they continue to focus efforts on performance. The performance isn't up to par compared to other network storage solutions, but then again this is much cheaper compared to other solutions...

Aside from the Integrated Storage, OnApp has always been a solid turnkey platform.

OnApp does what cPanel did for webhosting - commoditizing the product so anyone can start a "cloud hosting company" - but with that comes a ton of bugs and they also tend to release updates faster than I can catch up on the changelog
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

Quote Originally Posted by CloudVZ View Post
    OnApp Storage is more stable than it used to be. We have seen some pretty horrific failures of drives/hypervisors and were able to repair it. Now that they have improved the stability, I hope they continue to focus efforts on performance. The performance isn't up to par compared to other network storage solutions, but then again this is much cheaper compared to other solutions...

Aside from the Integrated Storage, OnApp has always been a solid turnkey platform.
    Im still a firm believer that at least for enterprise type clouds, SAN is simply the way to go , cant imagine relying on a not so perfect platform for the VM storage , would give me the chills.

In our case Equallogic + Onapp has been simply a perfect companion
    RACKNATION: Costa Rica DDOS Protected Servers & Colocation - [ https://www.racknation.cr ]

Quote Originally Posted by IGobyTerry View Post
    Sorry to hear you've had problems with OnApp. Im working from my phone now however Ive started a discussion internally with our TAMs and support team, and will be in touch as soon as I arrive in the office today.

Why don't you go ahead and do the same for us, ServerPoint.com, who have been using Onapp since 2010? To this day we YET have a way to do reliable backups of our clients' VMs?

All I always get is "it will be fixed in the next release", and I have been getting that for FOUR years. You may want to review our endless streams of tickets over the last four years.

Every release brings a new set of problems.

It's funny how your company does not learn from the mistakes of fallen competitors.

I started this thread years ago:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1048229

Today, Virtuozzo is really not a name anymore. How about Ensim?

All of them companies that kept providing buggy software, and over time, they got replaced.

We developed our own VM platform because we couldn't rely on your team. And we are slowly moving all clients away from onapp.

This is how the decline begins. You may all not notice it as the decline of a company providing buggy software takes years, but ultimately, if your development team keeps working the way it does, OnApp will be just another name gone by.

Check my few dozen tickets over the last month after our last upgrade so that you can see what we've been struggling with due to your new "incremental backups". They don't work with multiple backup servers?! OnApp software does not know where the original backup was made so it can't continue syncing incremental backups from then on?!

Great thinking on the part of your team.

Would be happy to take a look into things for you. Definitely want to make things right for someone who has been with us since the start.

My email is in my Sig -- no PAs, piping into ticket system or anything like that -- so if you ever need anything please do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by serverpoint View Post
    Check my few dozen tickets over the last month after our last upgrade so that you can see what we've been struggling with due to your new "incremental backups". They don't work with multiple backup servers?! OnApp software does not know where the original backup was made so it can't continue syncing incremental backups from then on?!
    We implemented a new backup server at the same time as incremental backups and it worked great. Now that one is full and it's doing backups on our older backups servers also we've ran into this problem. Kind of perplexing it will choose to do another FULL backup on a different backup server vs a small incremental on the same backup server that already has a full backup.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseOne View Post
    We implemented a new backup server at the same time as incremental backups and it worked great. Now that one is full and it's doing backups on our older backups servers also we've ran into this problem. Kind of perplexing it will choose to do another FULL backup on a different backup server vs a small incremental on the same backup server that already has a full backup.
    Our VP of Customer Care wanted me to let you know that'll be fixed in 3.3, which is coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by IGobyTerry View Post
    Our VP of Customer Care wanted me to let you know that'll be fixed in 3.3, which is coming soon
    No offence, but we've heard that before about various releases... Still waiting for a reliable windows backup that works and doesn't require chkdsk /f every week or so...

Other than the backups though we've not had problems with onapp

If you need advanced backup why not integrate it with bakula or idera?
    SeFlow.Net - Custom Dedicated Servers now with NVMe Disks
    SeFlow Secure Network 20+ IXP connected with Default DDoS Protection. Stay Up And Running. No Matter What.

We use ahsay for our backups normally and don't really want to shell out for something extra which should work as part of the package.

check bakula that come with onapp module.

Regards
    SeFlow.Net - Custom Dedicated Servers now with NVMe Disks
    SeFlow Secure Network 20+ IXP connected with Default DDoS Protection. Stay Up And Running. No Matter What.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123