Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by pixel_fenix
    Dual Xeon 2.4ghz with 2 gb of ram should be able to do around 9-10 cs servers.

Course this all varies on your player count and overall usage.
    I really would love to know how you managed to get 9-10 cs servers on a dual xeon 2.4ghz server. I have had a 24 player CS server take 80-90%. Ofcoarse that number seemed to have droped abit, after a few steam updates.

Originally posted by 2Guns
    I have it running on windows and it is still being a CPU Whore.

Its starting to look like this game is going to 1 game per server in the end....... ouch.
    I have just recently got a Dual Xeon 2.4ghz, 1GB ram, windows 2000 machine, and have seen upward to 20 players on one of my cs1.6 game servers with the task manager hardly ever going beyond 1%. Now I am thinking if I should be getting windows servers instead of linux. Since on one of my linux servers (dual xeon 2.0ghz 1gb ram) 20 players ends up taking 80% of one of 4 cpus (hyper threading 2 x 2 physical cpus = 4 cpus)

In my experience, game server hosting can make alot of money, but at the beginning it can be a money sucking business. Dont expect to be breaking even for a while. Also, be prepared to have clients that will email me about any problems they might have, even problems that they might have caused, like tweaking a CS addon a certain way causing it to crash (steam made it all possible).

Also, you will have to start worrying about ping times and locations. You will get some people signing up, ordering a server from location x, getting the server setup, only to find out he is located 5000kms from the server and starts blaming you for the ping time.

You will also get clients that are not very fluent in computers, so you have to help them out a bit at the begining and push them in the right direction. You might also get some clients that like to write with caps lock on and like to emphisize everything they say.

Now, if you are patient enough to go through all that, you have to start looking at the hardware/hosting and figures.

Now, a dual Xeon 2.0ghz can handle about 4x 20 player CS servers. Lets say you rent a server out from ev1servers (rackshack), you will be paying about 265usd/month for the server.

265/4 = $66.25USD/month cost per game server.

So you will have to charge atleast that if you maintain the above model (4x20max for dual xeon 2.0).

I charge $81.95 for a 20 player server, so if I take this approach, I am only making $15.70USD/month per 20player to support and maintain the server.

It sure is a good thing I enjoy this business, otherwise I would have been out of it long ago. Then again, Im a fighter, not a quiter.

Hope this helps!

windows for steam is the way to go..... you can easily get 6-8 CS servers (about 7 20 person servers) (well less than 6 if one or 2 are running mods such as warcraft 3 or superhero mods for CS) but anyways a 32 person server on a windows 2000 (2003 is better) will take about 5% of usage when it is FULL (with amxmod, metamod, and was on de_airstrip)

thats my 2 cents for ya....

games such as COD, MOHAA, BF1942; id say depending on the size, no more than 1 per CPU..... (so no more than 4 because of hyperthreading )

*oh yeah the server was a dual 2.4 xeon with 1.5 gig ram

also i know a person at SM that has theor supergamerz package (with a P4 3GHz with hyperthreading, 1.5 gig ram) and he has a 64 BF1942 server along with a 16 person ravensheild server on it, running fine....

Zero your numbers are misleading at best.

There is no way a 32 person server could only take 5% of the CPU. And even if it was true that would suggest you could run 16 32 player servers (or 512 player Slots) at only 80% Server load.

80 Player slots is a more real number.

And 2 CPU's with hyperthreading will never be equal to 4 real CPU's.

And a 64 player BF and a Raven on a 3 Gig HT machine............

Maybe

Thanks for your time.

2Gunz

ahh the days before steam good luck guys.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Why did they release steam in the first place .

Originally posted by TeKiZeRo
    Why did they release steam in the first place .
    For $$$. They wanted to explore new methods of selling games to gamers. Ways such as frustration, pain, and fear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12