Salaries for these types of jobs...

Hi there,

I see there is another salary topic, but that concentrates on system admins and such. I'm looking for a different type.
    Does anyone know how much in the U.S.A., an accountant gets paid? I read that some here are accounts - such as Incognito I think but not sure about others as well.

In the U.K., I know accountants get paid between £25,000 and £100,000+ per year depending on company and experience which is between $44,329.69 and $177,300.31+ per year.
    Are these good rates for accountants in the United States?

Also, does anyone know how much a marketing director earns in the United States? In the U.K. I've seen them at about between £15,000 and £35,000+ per year of course again depending on experience and the company. This is about $26,590.99 and $62,045.63+ per year. Are these good wages in the United States? In the U.K. I know these are very good wages, well the latter is anyhow. In the United States how well would this do?

Another thing, how much does a sales manager and support manager wage go for? It goes for about the same as a Marketing Director in the U.K. - how about the U.S.A.?

And support people? In the U.K. they go for the same as the above two, how about in the U.S.A.? By support people I mean those whom reply to tickets such as "How do I create a mySQL db?" and "My account is slow, why?" and "I forgot my password... what is it?" - I've even seen these jobs go as low as £11,000 per year... this however for me is too low, as if I were an employee I'd want no less than £32,000 per year as after tax and all I'd get just about £1,600 per month which isn't a lot for U.K. standards but is a very good wage, so makes you think maybe in the U.K. things are too expensive.

Thanks for all the help.

Greetings:

There is a wide range for in-house accountants in the states.

We've seen from $25,000 to $50,000.

Marketing directors and sales managers generally run a similar range with an override commission on the overall sales generated.

Support managers can run from $40,000 on up.

Level 1 technical support runs low from $7 per hour on up; but in our geographic area is $10 per hour on up.

System administrators with 5+ years experience generally start at $50,000.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Accountants and Marketing Directors

Today, in the U. S., the starting rate for accountants is around $30,000, with Big 4 firms more in the $45,000 range. This can range up to $200,000 or more. In fact, CFO's of large public corporations could easily make $300,000-500,000, and much more depending on stock options and other deals. Accountants pay varies greatly based on position and on the size of the company.

Marketing and/or Sales Directors salaries vary even more widely, based on the company and the performance. For small companies, marketing and/or sales directors might make no more than $25,000 - $40,000. However, for larger companies, literally, the sky is the limit and they typically have a very large portion of their earnings incentivized. They could make anywhere from $50,000-$1 million.

Overall, you can't project earnings based on the position title. The company, the performance, the experience, and the size of the organization all heavily influence pay.

My 2 cents

I owned a web hosting company that was part of the Internet boom and the salaries (average) that I see must be taking into account those years.

I can tell you that my experience is that most jobs in this field are at or below $50K. As an accountant, you may get a higher wage... but I would be surprised unless the company is a large, successful company.

Re: Accountants and Marketing Directors

Originally posted by Incognito
    Overall, you can't project earnings based on the position title. The company, the performance, the experience, and the size of the organization all heavily influence pay.
    I have to agree (2nd time in the past 20 minutes) again with Incognito.
    It depends so much on the geographic area (i know, that's what you were asking for), amount of time spent "at work" and experience that you can't really explain it in a few words.
    In the end, it's still betwen you and your employee. Personally, as i saw, it's always a good ideea (at least for level 1 support staff) to opt for Eastern European or non-US, non-UK (in a short way, "poor countries") staff members. But this applies only if you're willing to allow your staff to remotely support your customers.

Regards,
    Adrian.

Understand in paying accountants, you aren't competing just with other companies in the industry, but all industries. Marketing, you may feel you are just competing within the industry. However, someone good doesn't care what industry they are in. They can still produce.

Also, understand that most hosting companies are small compared to companies in other industries. For instance, Interland's revenue is only around a $150 million company. I have worked for companies from $150 million to $2 billion in sales and these still aren't among the largest U. S. employers. In most industries, Interland would be considered a small company.
    Last edited by Incognito; 12-26-2003 at 03:36 PM.

Understand in paying accountants, you aren't competing just with other companies in the industry, but all industries. Marketing, you may feel you are just competing within the industry. However, someone good doesn't care what industry they are in. They can still produce.

Also, understand that most hosting companies are small compared to companies in other industries. For instance, Interland's revenue is only around a $150 million company. I have worked for companies from $150 million to $2 billion in sales and these still aren't among the largest U. S. employers. In most industries, Interland would be considered a small company.
    Yep and most hosts won't need a full time accountant, I pay a guy to do my accounting part time, costs $150 a month and another $200 for him to fill out my taxes using the data he collected from me all year. He's an accountant full time and does my stuff after work/weekends whatever. Full time he works for a gotton gin.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Re: Re: Accountants and Marketing Directors

Originally posted by AdY
    Personally, as i saw, it's always a good ideea (at least for level 1 support staff) to opt for Eastern European or non-US, non-UK (in a short way, "poor countries") staff members. But this applies only if you're willing to allow your staff to remotely support your customers.

Regards,
    Adrian.
    I agree for certain positions. However, for others it isn't practical or advisable. For instance, you must have Accounting advice from someone knowledgeable in the country in which you are located. Same with lawyers. Particularly with tax issues. For instance, I am now heavily involved with tax issues in the U.S., the U.K., France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and South Africa. Previously, I have also done accounting and consulting work in Jamaica, Guatemala, Colombia, and Australia. They all present their special challenges. In fact, in the U.S., each state is different.

Also, public companies have much higher requirements than private companies, so the value of positions changes.

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    Yep and most hosts won't need a full time accountant, I pay a guy to do my accounting part time, costs $150 a month and another $200 for him to fill out my taxes using the data he collected from me all year. He's an accountant full time and does my stuff after work/weekends whatever. Full time he works for a gotton gin.
    Sounds about right...if he has you set up right, then those probably represent his minimum rates. Does somewhat depend on what you are looking for. For instance, if he was doing tax, retirement and business planning work for you that would typically be extra. There are accountants who simply report and those who assist in other ways. For instance, I was just involved with a project where the legal structures and tax filings were changed for approximately 75 entities worldwide (all under one parent). That will reduce the shareholders' taxes by an average of approximately $7.5 million per year. However, for basic bookkeeping for a moderately sized web host, typical monthly charges would run from $150-500 and tax returns from $150-$700 on top of that.

Re: Re: Re: Accountants and Marketing Directors

I agree for certain positions. However, for others it isn't practical or advisable. For instance, you must have Accounting advice from someone knowledgeable in the country in which you are located. Same with lawyers. Particularly with tax issues. For instance, I am now heavily involved with tax issues in the U.S., the U.K., France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and South Africa. Previously, I have also done accounting and consulting work in Jamaica, Guatemala, Colombia, and Australia. They all present their special challenges. In fact, in the U.S., each state is different.

Also, public companies have much higher requirements than private companies, so the value of positions changes.
    I tried ONLY to reffer to support (and perhaps sales staff, if appliable) as i honestly can't advise for other positions, because i'm living outside US/UK.

Regards,
    Adrian.