What do you think about this host?

I am currently using 1and1 as my hosting company and have been for a while. it has come to my attention that i have had a lot of downtime on my servier. I kind of wanted to switch but i wanted to hear what everyone else thinks about 1and1 or what you have heard.

Syphris

I haven't used them for hosting, but for domain registration they failed me.

After days of waiting for them to register the domain for me, I went and registered it somewhere else.

Also, a call to technical support was a waste of time. The operator's accent was to thick to understand, and he didn't know what a NameServer was. Being that a NameServer is terminology used both in hosting and domain registrations, you would think tech support should know what it is.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

You have been hosting with them, so you will be able to tell about them. It is true that there are a lot of complaints about them, but if things are going fine for you why you need to switch?
    If you had huge downtimes and yuo can't afford them you need to switch. But if you are okay with their service, go ahead and continue with them.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

The best thing that you can do is search around the forums. I've heard bad things on a couple of forums, but personally i never used them for hosting. I bought a domain from them once ran into some problems, but support wasn't so great.

- Daniel

I feel personally that they are one of the worst mainstream hosting providers on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Patti View Post
    I feel personally that they are one of the worst mainstream hosting providers on the net.
    and that's being polite

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

They almost beat site5 for complaints

It can be hard to judge a hosts' overall uptime. Uptime can vary with the server. 1 server may have a bad record, but 1000 others may be nearly perfect.

it has come to my attention that i have had a lot of downtime on my servier.
    How did you come upon this knowledge all of a sudden?

I have never used 1&1 so i am unable to comment

However i did have a friend on there, he never told me about his site being down.

Maybe a differant server... Never no.

I think this comes down to your relationship with 1&1. If you feel that the service you get from their organic side (the people in Customer Support (billing, support, etc)) are worth while, then go through the process of moving your domain to a new server.

But keep in mind that the same process of moving to another server, would be a similar type of process that you would need to go through if changing to a new host.

Also there is downtime considerations that need to be made, moving to a new host you can minimize the downtime as both services are online at the same time, while moving from one server to another could mean some downtime, but all depends on their server move process. Make sure you go over this with them so you understand a step by step timeline of events and that is something you are comfortable going through. Also regardless of what they say, plan for the worst and expect that you might incur some downtime, so you don't set yourself up for a false expectation.

The bad reviews certainly outweigh the good ones about them. Make your choice.I
    personally wouldn't choose them. Why risk it when there are other good to
    excellent hosts that are happy to host you? Do some research here at WHT and
    on sitepoint.com forums.

Whatever you decide, please let us know.

cris
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

I won't think there is no need for switching if you are satisfied with their services. If the only thing that is bothering you is uptime, yuo can ask them to move you to a different server. As some one said on the top, uptime varies with the server and so if you are experiencing frequent downtime, you can request them to be migrated to another one.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.