Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many VPS I can run with my server

Hello

My server detail is:

2x Intel Quad Core E5620, 32Gig DDR3 ram, 960 GIG SSD Hard, Uplink Port 1Gig

My question is how many VPS I can run with XEN(Linux VPS and Windows VPS) on this server?

It depends on ram / disk space per VPS. Do you have raid? or is a single disk?

I have 4X240 SSD hard(No Raid) and I want to create 30 VPS(each VPS 1GIG ram with 30 GIG Hard). I know that I can create many VPS but I want a good quality for my VPSes.
    Last edited by openv; 07-28-2014 at 08:50 AM.

No raid? Unless this is a specific-use scenario, I doubt many people would want the risk of [what in this case actually is RAID0] as a failure of ANY ONE of the FOUR drives will cause a total loss.

Very bad idea.

Get some hardware RAID unless you want some upset customers down the line...
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Depends upon what is hosted on your VPS!!! You can either have Windows Or Linux | Not both.

Virtualization itself will take 10% of your processor power. I would try to limit the no of VPS to max 20 here. Am not sure E5620 can take too many VPS.

There are a lot of things to take care when you create VPS's on your server.
    First - Virtualization itself requires some of power.
    Second - Even though you have dedicated ram/Hard disk , The processor is still shared. So don't overload it.
    Third - Have a backup, Don't pack your Server with VPS because you never know what kind of client you may end up with. Ram utilization may be low but he may end up using most of your CPU processing power. Be prepared for such situation.
    Crypracks.com | Premium Bare Metal Servers at Budget
    Powerful Dedicated Servers and VPS servers | Instant Setup
    Quote ? - Sales @ Crypracks.com

But I have a good hard with fast I/O, Backup Is not important for this server and VPSes.

Raid is very much necessary. I understand that your hardware's are of high standard But at the end of the day they are machines and you cant trust your clients important data with out a proper backup.
    Crypracks.com | Premium Bare Metal Servers at Budget
    Powerful Dedicated Servers and VPS servers | Instant Setup
    Quote ? - Sales @ Crypracks.com

No doubt about the aforementioned server specification. It's a high spec powerful server. Just curious to know the type of application/services you will be running from the VPS?

Definitely. No RAID, no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MilesWeb View Post
    No doubt about the aforementioned server specification. It's a high spec powerful server. Just curious to know the type of application/services you will be running from the VPS?
    Just standard sites like Vbulletin forums, Wordpress, Joomla sites.
    Is there any alternative way for get backup without raid?
    Last edited by openv; 07-28-2014 at 03:44 PM.

You can consider offsite backup plans if you don't wish to have RAID.

still raid is better together with online backup you don't know when you lose your drive. if there is raid no downtime would be there but online backup ? you still need time to restore backup and it can take hours.

plus one for raid and online backup both play safe side

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpound View Post
    still raid is better together with online backup you don't know when you lose your drive. if there is raid no downtime would be there but online backup ? you still need time to restore backup and it can take hours.

It seems this is a waste of breath

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpound View Post

Yes, you want both RAID and backups (ideally off-site, but at least on a separate server). RAID protects you against drive failure, and acts like a parachute: it gives you advance warning so that you can gently power down the server and fix things on your own schedule. Backup gives you protection against a downed server, so that if you RAID array becomes corrupt (for example), you'll have something to restore from.

Do not think of backups as an alternative to RAID or vice versa. Use them both.

RAID 10 gives you the best redundancy + performance combination. These days software RAID 10 is perfectly fine. I'll concede that hardware RAID 10 might give you slightly better performance, but I'm not convinced that it's worth the added cost and additional point of failure. Booting into software RAID 10 requires some extra effort, though, so be sure to read up on that before you start.

As for your question about how many VPSes can fit on there, since you're using Xen, you could technically fit 31 1 GB VPSes on there ... but I wouldn't recommend it. Xen is very good at managing CPU time right out of the box but with only a 4-drive array and those older CPUs you're just begging for a performance hit (and you're not leaving yourself any room to grow, either).

If you're only issuing 1 GB VPSes, I'd say draw the line at 10 - 15. Disk I/O will be your first bottleneck. See how the system behaves and play it by ear from there. 90% of virtualization administration is meeting user expectation, and there's no formula for that. You just have to start with some basics and play it by ear. Xen is very stable and will happily attempt to slog through 31 1 GB VPSes on a 32 GB system, but nobody is going to enjoy it -- especially with only four drives.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

If you're only issuing 1 GB VPSes, I'd say draw the line at 10 - 15. Disk I/O will be your first bottleneck. See how the system behaves and play it by ear from there. 90% of virtualization administration is meeting user expectation, and there's no formula for that. You just have to start with some basics and play it by ear. Xen is very stable and will happily attempt to slog through 31 1 GB VPSes on a 32 GB system, but nobody is going to enjoy it -- especially with only four drives
    I want to use SSD drive, Is there any bottleneck (Disk I/O) for this hard?
    How many VPS should be at one 1x240 SSD hard?
    Last edited by openv; 07-29-2014 at 01:10 AM.

If you are my customer which option do you choose?

1- 12x300 SAS 15k (with raid 10)
    2- 4x240 SSD (No Raid)

Quote Originally Posted by openv View Post
    I want to use SSD drive, Is there any bottleneck (Disk I/O) for this hard?
    How many VPS should be at one 1x240 SSD hard?
    SSD is indeed fast and allows alot of IOps. I think the bottleneck will be the processor. If is going to be 20 or 30 VMs you will have to calculate the processing power needed. If you provision 30 VMs that will get only one core and will be idleing and ocasionally one or 2-4 of them would work up to 50% cpu then is gonna be fine, but if 10 of them take 100% CPU, then you already bleeding the CPU badly.

Depends a lot on what are you planning to use the VMs for.
    schnellno.de - High performance SSD VPS RAID10
    XEON E5-26XX CPU | Premium Datacenter in Nürnberg, Germany
    █ Windows VPS | Linux VPS | *BSD VPS
    Friendly support team |100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellNode View Post
    SSD is indeed fast and allows alot of IOps. I think the bottleneck will be the processor. If is going to be 20 or 30 VMs you will have to calculate the processing power needed. If you provision 30 VMs that will get only one core and will be idleing and ocasionally one or 2-4 of them would work up to 50% cpu then is gonna be fine, but if 10 of them take 100% CPU, then you already bleeding the CPU badly.

Depends a lot on what are you planning to use the VMs for.
    This topic changed my mind, I will change my CPU from 2xe5620 to 2x e5-2420 and I will use 12X300 Gig Sas 15k(raid 10) instead of 4x240 SSD(No raid)

Sounds like a good plan. Better yet, do SSD in RAID10 if you can, but I presume that the price is the issue here? Just mentioning it in case it didn't cross your mind to do RAID10 with SSDs.

Quote Originally Posted by bwbb View Post
    Sounds like a good plan. Better yet, do SSD in RAID10 if you can, but I presume that the price is the issue here? Just mentioning it in case it didn't cross your mind to do RAID10 with SSDs.
    I want at least 960Gig Hard and if I using Raid 10 I must using 2x960 Gig ssd hard and it's very expensive

Two drives would give you a RAID 1 array (two disks mirrored).

Raid 10 is when you have Raid 1 mirroring two raid 0 arrays. (you need at least 4 drives)

Quote Originally Posted by dediserve View Post
    Two drives would give you a RAID 1 array (two disks mirrored).

Raid 10 is when you have Raid 1 mirroring two raid 0 arrays. (you need at least 4 drives)
    Oh yeah, And it's more expensive.

Raid 10 is the best way to go. No downtime due to drive failure, only issue is server slowdown when drive is replaced and RAID rebuilds.

That said, be sure you have a proper notification system set to let you know when a drive fails, in particular a SSD drive which rarely throws warnings before failure. The server can work properly with a down drive and unless you have a system in place to catch the down drive you could end up with multiple failed drives, a broken RAID array and a dead server.

Which brings me to point two. Do not be married to RAID as a backup system. NEVER leave your customers and your business without offsite backups. You never know what tomorrow will bring in this business as the past few months have highlighted with painful results for many. Offsite backups are a cheap insurance for you and your company
    Last edited by MrMcGoo; 07-29-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by openv View Post
    many VPS I can run with XEN(Linux VPS and Windows VPS) on this server?

50. Always go with 50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast