Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Linux or Windows

This to me is going to be a big ish post.

In the GSP or even client opinion, what do you perfer? Linux or Windows? In your opinion which performs better? What control panel do you use? Do you like it?

Whats the best control panel for linux in your opinion?
    What about windows?

Here's the big kicker, where in the hell do you get all the files either for linux or windows??

Personally, i perfer Windows and TcAdmin. But windows is an extra monthly fee or addon cost to the server and then tcadmin is also a fee.

How many linux panels are out there, I've been through a few, my personal favorite is OpsBase(not devoloped anymore but i own a copy)

How are the other panels? I think i've used most except SwiftPanel cause it's new and GameCP.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

Have you taken a look at the cpanel game server modules?
    tanfwc

Quote Originally Posted by tanfwc View Post
    Have you taken a look at the cpanel game server modules?
    yeah that requires i actually run cpanel. so nah not into that.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

They most likely run better on windows unless they are coded for linux like teamspeak and ventrilo. Some game servers are but if the game server is coded for windows only then you would have to run it with wine or something simular. So another words both platforms are best.

For example
    If the game server is coded for linux then you get the performance, security at less cost of resources.

If the game server is windows only. Then running it on linux can be glitchy. Windows will run the server correctly and perform as expected.

Actually its depends upon on what gameserver you are running some might get better performance on Linux or some might fair with the Windows. Also its depends upon what control panel you want to use. If you are expecting to save a few bucks then linux is cheaper windows licensing can be expensive.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

TCAdmin just blows SwiftPanel/GameCP out of the water and it's worth the extra fee for windows/tcadmin. Trust me to get a proper panel developed it isn't cheap and would be very hard to compete with tcadmin.

I like to use CentOS with Swiftpanel they seem to run nice together "out of the box"

Quote Originally Posted by Goilio View Post
    I like to use CentOS with Swiftpanel they seem to run nice together "out of the box"
    So does CentOs and Opsbase.

Quote Originally Posted by JMele View Post
    So does CentOs and Opsbase.
    I have never used Opsbase so I can't comment on it, I am just attracted to Swiftpanel at the moment because it free for a wile.

For gameservers I recommend windows. Its little bit costly, but it is reliable.

Harris

Quote Originally Posted by SunShellNET View Post
    For gameservers I recommend windows. Its little bit costly, but it is reliable.

Harris
    Linux is reliable if run right also

Linux is reliable if run right also
    Yep, but configuring linux for gameservers is not a simple task

Harris

Gentoo or Debian in my opinion would be the best for game servers since they are both very light. (I am going to be testing it right now, I know gameservers.com uses debian, and so does a friend of mine to run game servers.) CentOS if you want to hop the bandwagon or more security. (heard from a friend) Ubuntu if your a noob. The community is huge, it runs game servers just fine, and no custom kernals are required for 1000 FPS. I've had experience with Ubuntu before with game servers, and it ran just fine.

My experience with Ubuntu was more of a learning experience (I used Swiftpanel as well) and I recently purchased a box with Lime Stone so I will give you an update on my experience with Debian.

Swiftpanel to me is probably the best control panel right below TCAdmin. It may not have all the features TCAdmin has to offer, but then in my opinion, you don't exactly need something that advanced. Swiftpanel gets the job done, and it's simple enough to use. FTP, restart the server, create a server, update ticrates, command lines, etc is all you basically need. I don't see a need for more, and Swiftpanel does that just as well as TCAdmin does. (With my experience)

Quote Originally Posted by JayHax0r View Post
    Gentoo or Debian in my opinion would be the best for game servers since they are both very light. (I am going to be testing it right now, I know gameservers.com uses debian, and so does a friend of mine to run game servers.) CentOS if you want to hop the bandwagon or more security. (heard from a friend) Ubuntu if your a noob. The community is huge, it runs game servers just fine, and no custom kernals are required for 1000 FPS. I've had experience with Ubuntu before with game servers, and it ran just fine.

My experience with Ubuntu was more of a learning experience (I used Swiftpanel as well) and I recently purchased a box with Lime Stone so I will give you an update on my experience with Debian.

Swiftpanel to me is probably the best control panel right below TCAdmin. It may not have all the features TCAdmin has to offer, but then in my opinion, you don't exactly need something that advanced. Swiftpanel gets the job done, and it's simple enough to use. FTP, restart the server, create a server, update ticrates, command lines, etc is all you basically need. I don't see a need for more, and Swiftpanel does that just as well as TCAdmin does. (With my experience)
    Your running a game community?

I have a custom panel(OpsBase) which is like an exact clone of swiftpanel, it's just not as graphical. same features and everything.

I almost though swiftpanel was the same panel as Opsbase

Your running a game community?

I have a custom panel(OpsBase) which is like an exact clone of swiftpanel, it's just not as graphical. same features and everything.

I almost though swiftpanel was the same panel as Opsbase
    Yes I am, and if it's exactly (or close to) like swiftpanel with all the fancy stuff removed then use that with a linux distribution of your choice. But in my experience, the difference between using linux and windows to run servers would be the cost and the resources / smoother game play (which is only reduced by a minimal. I've managed to fit one more server than I could on a quad core with linux than I could with windows.)
    Last edited by Jay Singh; 11-10-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Linux is also more efficient game servers. cpanel

Quote Originally Posted by FCservers View Post
    Linux is also more efficient game servers. cpanel
    cPanel? pleas help me god your not referring to CPGS, i will never use that.

I'm not sure anything can compete with Windows as far as game servers go, just because of how fantastic TCAdmin is, it makes running game servers on windows worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacharyW View Post
    I'm not sure anything can compete with Windows as far as game servers go, just because of how fantastic TCAdmin is, it makes running game servers on windows worthwhile.
    Yup, so true.

Linux is great for some games, Windows is great for some games but runs 99.9% of all games out there.

Go Windows if you are limited to one OS in your environment.
    i3D.net (www.i3d.net) - Contact our sales team at: sales@i3d.net
    Global leader in Performance Hosting with global reach: https://www.i3d.net/one-platform/locations/
    Network and servers present on 35+ internet exchanges, 6 continents and 20 countries

If the games is not compatible for Linux the run it on a windows machine for the best performance. You start running game under wine or any other emulator then you may end up experience performance issues in game performace its self.

For example play a game on windows and it run fine. Then install Linux and play that game on Linux with something like wine. It may work great but here and there you may run into a few performance issues which doesn't hurt the game play but you starting getting more than 1 game server running you could run into big problems.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ZacharyW View Post
    Good luck running an extreme performance Steam based server from that(2000FPS) although pointless unless you need the quality.

Being new to game servers I wouldn't know too well, but I would say Windows because things seem to run faster on it.

It's not just about the software. Either OS can run equal in the right hands.

Getting your servers to run at peak performance depends on the guys running it and the attention spent optimizing the particular OS for what it's being used for.

This may tick off a few Windows-fans but I reckon all servers should run Linux... It's just way better for servers than Windows.

Don't get me wrong, I love Windows but only on my desktop/laptop PCs.

As far as gaming servers go, we used to have two dedicated servers, one running CentOS, other running Windows Server Edition. I remember how much more efficiently the CS/TFC servers ran on the Linux machine, performance was generally better and ... well, I can't stand Remote Desktop -- it's so much more comfortable and faster managing everything via SSH instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast