Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green means working from home

I am passionate about carbon footprint reduction and believe a combination of centralised servers, green hosting, carbon offsets and efficient data-centres all have a role to play. But the most important and all too often overlooked factor is the ability for hosted collaboration and document management software to provide an alternative to commuting for at least 50% of all employees 50% of the time. I strongly believe that the use of hosted ECM will do more for your carbon footprint than practically any other measure you might care to implement.

One other quick thing I'll mention - iPhones really seem to help us work remotely no matter where that is - home or meetings. We've deployed them throughout much of the company, and it helps keep things more paperless and allows for more telecommuting as well.
    Christian Dawson Exectuive Director and Co-Founder, i2Coalition
    The i2Coalition is comprised of small to medium cloud providers, data centers, registrars, registries and other foundational Internet enterprises. Join today!
    Follow us on Twitter @i2coalition or checkout our forum!

Yes iPhones (and other 3G phones) work nicely with our system. It is pretty compelling to show a customer his scanned pdf contract or our latest pricing spreadsheet from our Webrecs system in a coffee shop or bar. Or even better to send him the link to his iPhone for him to pull down the document himself .

Agreed. I love it when things are both good for the environment (like going paperless) and also just plain cool!
    Christian Dawson Exectuive Director and Co-Founder, i2Coalition
    The i2Coalition is comprised of small to medium cloud providers, data centers, registrars, registries and other foundational Internet enterprises. Join today!
    Follow us on Twitter @i2coalition or checkout our forum!

Wonderful thread. Yay! Green!
    Last edited by the_pm; 10-17-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Offer highly efficient vehicles as company take home cars in lieu of a pay raise.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    Offer highly efficient vehicles as company take home cars in lieu of a pay raise.
    Oh wow good one. I didn't even think about that!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Yes working remotely definitely is one of the best things to do, to make your company green and especially in web business it is so simple to do. But I hear many people struggling with all the distracts at home, they see their workers work less and not as emphasized as before.

Green technology is not only the wave of the future, but it will also shape and mold who we are and how we live our world for future generations to come. I personally applaud any business or person that is attempting to go green and become more environmentally friendly.

When I was originally planning the 'go green' move for us, I didn't actually realise how many little and big things you can do. I got a list together of a few things we could do in the short term and some we can do long term and started concentrating on goal setting per quarter.

Short term examples: 100% recycled high grade paper, just as good as 1st run paper. Switching to low emission units. Using eco-friendly data centers.

Long term (1st year onwards) examples: Looking at lease for Smart Cars (the small ones) as our 100% decal branded vehicles for client site visits, plant a tree scheme.
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

Getting rid of the motor car would be a big step in the right direction. Working from home could at least cut a 2 car family into a 1 car family and might eliminate the need for a car. We use a scooter which has a 3 litre gas tank! It cost $5 to fill it up and takes over 1 month to use .

I must agree that working from home is one of the best ways to to green. My car has one of these big W12 engines, and I work from home sometimes. However, it's very hard for me to work from home all the time. I just need to "change the walls" sometimes Then I come to our main office.
    Hosting24.com Web Hosting - First class web hosting services.
    Boxbilling - Complete billing, invoicing and client management system.

it good to see that people are starting to take this on board. even america is finally starting to think green, which is important given it's size and the massive percentage of damage it does. obviously hosting can never be 100% green but every initiative will make a difference in the long run.

great!!! for a better future

Guys, but don't you think that some people are (or at least would like to be) "too much green". They are ready to throw away their money for any crap which has green logo on it.

Look into clean diesels, their foot print is less than most of the hybrids when you start really looking. CPFs and wind energy for your providers are 2 of the biggest things you can do and dump all those old tower servers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

I believe petrol cars are more green than diesels...

Quote Originally Posted by mrcjdawson View Post
    One other quick thing I'll mention - iPhones really seem to help us work remotely no matter where that is - home or meetings. We've deployed them throughout much of the company, and it helps keep things more paperless and allows for more telecommuting as well.
    yeah smart

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting24 View Post
    I believe petrol cars are more green than diesels...
    Yes, I agree with you

I'm also surprised that some people still believe hybrid cars are more green. Probably they didn't read that making a hybrid car causes huge damage to nature

We work from home. It's amazing actually how little paper you need in the office. We dont print much and if we do it gets recycled.

Good point from Hosting24 though... it has to be a 'genuine' idea.

Tree planting as a company event or planting a number of trees per year contingent on revenue are pretty good ideas too.
    SevenL Networks - VPS Hosting and VPS Web Hosting

Even my company has an office, i usually stay and work at home if I dont have to go .. Save gas , save money hybrid cars ??? I have same idea with you hosting24.. Good point!

Working from home is definatly much greener. I personally think that alot of company's now a days put Green on the label just to try and sell more not because it really makes any kind of impact on our world.

If you can't work from home there are still other alternatives such as biking(great exercise) or as mentioned hybrid cars (Conserve gas and money)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast