* More to Game Hosting?

Hey all,

I just visited ThePlanet, and they sell dedicated servers etc.

I spoke with their Live Help and it seems they allow Game Hosting, and many of their customers use this.

I asked him - Is it just a matter of uploading the dedicated gaming server files for the selected game - editing the settings (I.e. Title etc.) and click run, and he said that it's a lot more complicated than this.

Is this correct? and if so, does anyone have a link that could explain the process to me?

Thanks,
    Rezz

It varies depending on the game you're trying to host. Which is it?

I'll probably be hosting two games (One instance each) - Battlefield 2 and either TF2 or CSS

All Steam games are relatively easy to setup. You install the Steam dedicated server tool, and then allow it to download the contents of the game to the server. You edit a few configuration files and then start the server. After that it's just maintenance.

Battlefield 2 is similar, although I've never done it myself. My guess is the operator on the phone was mistaken - he probably thought you were trying to setup an illegal World of Warcraft server or something.

EDIT: This post assumes that you just want to setup a server for you and your friends to play on. If you want to host game servers for profit, well, just don't...

Quote Originally Posted by CArmstrong View Post
    All Steam games are relatively easy to setup. You install the Steam dedicated server tool, and then allow it to download the contents of the game to the server. You edit a few configuration files and then start the server. After that it's just maintenance.

Battlefield 2 is similar, although I've never done it myself. My guess is the operator on the phone was mistaken - he probably thought you were trying to setup an illegal World of Warcraft server or something.

EDIT: This post assumes that you just want to setup a server for you and your friends to play on. If you want to host game servers for profit, well, just don't...
    So I'd have to install the Steam program and then download it from that?

Also - I was going to use the game servers as just a community sort of thing - so people on the forum/blog can meet up and play together etc.

my advice and to simplify it down to you is to go here http://www.igc-panel.com/ read the forums on there...

you generally need root access to a dedicated server. you wont be able to do it on a shared web hosting package.

i know a great deal about it but i just dont think your find alot of people willing to openly share their knowledge for free some how considering alot of us make money off it

If you need to ask this questions its probably your best bet to rent a game server instead of buying a dedicated box to learn the in and outs first before you go spending a bunch of money and getting fustrated that you cant get the servers working.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
    So I'd have to install the Steam program and then download it from that?

Also - I was going to use the game servers as just a community sort of thing - so people on the forum/blog can meet up and play together etc.
    I wrote http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=343796 a very long time ago, but it still shows you the gist of what you need to do. There's a lot of configuration involved, so like the others have suggested you'll have a lot of reading to do. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CArmstrong View Post
    I wrote http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=343796 a very long time ago, but it still shows you the gist of what you need to do. There's a lot of configuration involved, so like the others have suggested you'll have a lot of reading to do. Good luck!
    nice tut.... thats bascially it to be honest for valve games etc.

how are you getting on?

You may be best to spend the $15/mo and get a control panel, such as TCAdmin, to help manage all of this. In my opinion there isn't a better solution out there for Windows based hosting, plus their knowledgebase and forums are huge

Give Vet a hollar, he'll set you up with everything you need quickly and happily. Worth the little bit of penny.

Definately do some reading though, knowledge is power, and power is everything!
    Adam Piatek - CTO Ritmo Technology Group
    Dedicated Servers, Web Hosting Solutions Ventrilo Servers
    adam (at) ritmohost (dot) com

Quote Originally Posted by adamnp View Post
    Give Vet a hollar, he'll set you up with everything you need quickly and happily. Worth the little bit of penny.

Definately do some reading though, knowledge is power, and power is everything!
    I though money is power and power is everything?
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

This is starting to sound like the scene from the movie "Volunteers".

And absolute power corrupts absolutely?
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!