Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    well yes, a cloud is essentially a VPS. the issue however, is that there are different types of VPS solutions. vps.net for example sells VPS solutions, but, it is in a cloud formation.. the differentiators are typically related to hardware redundancy, fluidity in that containers can be seamlessly moved to different physical nodes if more resources are required or in case of hardware failure, allows customers to seamlessly and in real time add hard resources (ie cpu, ram, etc) - and typically, though VPShive does not see to take this approach, requires some form of utility based billing..
    now this is much much better and patient explanation than the openegg and wiredtree analogies. as an average customer, I'm not that familiar of how exactly a VPS is run and maintained. and in a way, i feel we don't have to understand all these technologies that well anyway. what we, as customer, care about is what these technology can bring us, and these should be put very clearly on the feature page. now with your kind explanation, i think i have a better idea why VPShive is different from some other companies. but still, this doesn't change the fact they are providing VPS solutions, and i think it's proper to discuss them in this forum. people who are looking for quality VPS solutions will want to know more about them and what they can get from paying more.

The idea behind the VPShive solution is to make it fully scaleable, offer protection from some of the ailments we see on the net today and have a solution allowing for backups and fail-overs - make it fully redundant from a technical perspective while keeping all of the technology invisible but highly available to the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    All very valid points. But speaking for myself, I was anticipating more of a "WOW" factor when VPShive went live. When I saw the final website & packages, I was simply underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, the core vps product is robust and worth the money. I have nothing bad to say about the network, the hardware, or their xen setup.

AGAIN: the core vps product is robust and worth the money!

But primarily, its the specs & the marketing that sell the product. The specs are basically the same as everywhere else. I was expecting to see at least more Ram, HD space, or bandwidth than the 'other guys'. In the end, we got exactly the same or a little less. I thought that since they own/control the datacenter (hardware, network, etc.) that they would be able to provide more.

In my opinion, now they have to sell themselves as to why they are better.

And I don't think they have done a good enough job differentiating themselves from the competition. They need to tell us and show us how their hardware is better, the network is better, and how they will support it all better. I haven't seen that yet. So until then, we can only compare the "512MB Ram/200GB Bandwidth/20GB Space".

The wow factor will be there, we had to design the base and instrastructute to handle the plans. We have a delivered a very nice easy to use portal, using a 100% full 10Gbe infrastructure and gapping off every last single point of failure.

The wow FACTOR comes in, the version 1.5.
    Consider this an an Opersating system with basic tools, like notepad, a simple browser and mail client.

the Now come the vAPPS. This is going to set this apart from the rest.

All cloud products are one way or another vps based , our whole offering is livving off of the cloud, we should probably be a bit more clear about that. The HIVE is ridiing inside of the fluffiest cloud in the sky
    Last edited by ameen; 01-26-2010 at 02:16 AM.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Mainpipe,

Your also right, we had our product ready before pricinmg We will be reviewing it all during the next few days, more literature will be put up shortly. I am currenrly working out of th hoposital, been here since thursdy amught not be out till wed or longer but we will be make a few changes and then release are veAPPS
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing

the transfer speeds are amazing. have not seen anything move that fast. is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's VPSHive

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    Well, to be fair, you are not comparing apples to apples..

Being "late" to the "VPS party"?

VPSHive is not the same product as a standard VPS offering. Forget the fact the ServINT is running software level virtuozzo virtualization (which is debatable at best to be equivalent to solutions like XEN or VMWare) - but, putting that aside for a minute.. these local host node VM solutions lack elasticity and certainly lack hardware level redundancy and fluidity..

these are not the same solutions, not even close..

the more accurate statement would be that legacy VPS solutions are behind in the VPS party - heck, they arent even playing in the same game..

If you are price conscious and do not see or require the advantages of the higher end solution - then you are correct, you should stick with what works for you. But, the incentive to move to such an offering is not price - the incentive is the technological advantages of one offering over another - and those advantages are not insignificant..

the control panel has little to do with it. I know people like fancy control panels, etc.. those will come, over time.. the key thing here, that most seem to have missed in this thread is that you are not buying a standard local host node VPS model with software level virtualization. Heck, you arent even buying anything close to slicehost or rackspacecloud offerings (which at least represents legitimately isolated virtualization technology with Xen I believe - but, is still a local host storage model lacking legitimate hardware redundancy and scalability).. you are buying something closer to the amazon cloud offering...

I understand peoples concern on price.. but, at the very least, people should understand what it is they are comparing price to.. and comparing a solution like this to legacy single server VPS technology is not appropriate - we are not even close to speaking apples to apples..

Now, whether or not this VPShive offering will end up actually delivering value, I am honestly not sure.. I guess we will not know this for quite some time.. but, their pricing is certainly not out of line with what they are offering.. the costs to run and maintain such a solution are significantly greater then loading up virtuozzo on a beefy single host node and ramming accounts onto it..

I hate coming to the defense of a direct competitor, I really do - but, honestly, people are not being overly reasonable here..

Andrew,

I do appreciate you trying to help people understand the difference int he offerings. We did a SOFT launch, our hard launch will be when we are complelely ready on the media and explaining the difference beteeen say a aervint vps and vpshive node.

What i need i me and my medea team to tighten up the site with explainationsa and diagrams explaining the diference.

If had it my way, we would not have launched till first, and let the betausers convert to real user now.
    GigeNET

well having a bit higher regular price is a good bargaining chip when you launch your discount codes in VPS offer section or product banners
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

This is getting more interesting by the minute! Could this be the beginning of a "Sea Change" for the hosting industry?
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

While I could get past the price, the lack of management options is unfortunate and means I wont be using VPSHive.

I've been looking for a solid - managed - cloud solution for a while now and still haven't found it.
    I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

Maybe Storm on Demand is what you are looking for?
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

i don't know why i can't access any web pages of vpshive.com except the main page. getting "operation aborted" error.

Everything works for me on vpshive.com
    Just tried, no problem on any of their pages.

I know when some one creates a thread asking for a $2 web host a bunch of other web host rant about how you get what you pay for.
    VirtuousHost.com - Premium Web Hosting
    Affordable Web Hosting Solutions
    Premium Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    100% uptime | Daily - Weekly Backups | 24/7/365 Support | 45 Day Money back Guarantee

4Gb/90gb/800gb..
    for 120/month?

Quote Originally Posted by luther1995 View Post
    4Gb/90gb/800gb..
    for 120/month?
    What exactly do you mean?

4Gb/90gb/800gb..
    for 120/month?

One thing people need to know is were including bandwidth in each plan, if you look at the competition, rackspacecloud, amazon s3 or storm bandwidth is not included and is charged per gig of usage. Anyhow in the next week we will be making the product selection a bit more user friendly, we will be switching from plans to strictly resources.
    GigeNET

The inclusion of bandwidth makes the pricing very nice indeed when compared to other's products.

Someone called me yesterday inquiring my decisions. As soon as I told them "Well, I'm just a little concerned about the price. I think it's a little...." *CLICK*

...simply just hung up on me. Needless to say, I was a little disturbed by the unprofessional phone call. If you are not going to listen to your potential customer, then, please don't waste the (my/yours) time calling.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the gentleman's name.

On the note, I've tried the beta. Everything is super solid.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Quote Originally Posted by quad3datwork View Post
    Someone called me yesterday inquiring my decisions. As soon as I told them "Well, I'm just a little concerned about the price. I think it's a little...." *CLICK*

...simply just hung up on me. Needless to say, I was a little disturbed by the unprofessional phone call. If you are not going to listen to your potential customer, then, please don't waste the (my/yours) time calling.

Maybe it was a dropped call? I would hope nobody would take the time to call for feedback then be as rude as to hang up when they receive the answer?
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    Maybe it was a dropped call? I would hope nobody would take the time to call for feedback then be as rude as to hang up when they receive the answer?
    If that's the case they can always call dial again isn't it?
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by QuickWeb-Roel View Post
    If that's the case they can always call dial again isn't it?
    Of course.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by quad3datwork View Post

Hrmm, that does not seem right, we were having phone issues through out the week, our pbx was acting funny or our pri and voip was having issues, I am not 100% sure, I was out of commission in the hospital for last week and half. The call could of dropped and maybe they thought you hung up and thought if they called back it would annoy you? Was it Jim who called you?
    Last edited by ameen; 01-31-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    GigeNET

4Gb/90gb/800gb..
    for 120/month?
    Where, I only see: Hive 4 RAM:4GB Storage:160GB Bandwidth:1600GB $250p/m

I was just reading over earlier posts again, and I saw my posts. Excuse the poor grammar and spelling. I was in the hospital since the 22nd and I got my laptop just after I got out of the ICU , I was a bit out of it when I typed those up, my apologies.
    GigeNET

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123