Green Wordpress Hosting provider

While I like wpengine a lot, they are a bit on the $$ side, and i'd really like to be able to move to a green datacenter provider, to do my part to save the world. Any recommendations on companies who focus on wordpress ?

What I like about WPE is their focus on security and wp tuning...

All datacenters are 'green'.

Due to the massive energy costs for datacenters by design a DC is built to be as energy efficient as possible

You will not find a 100% 'green' data center. Most of the time you are taken for a ride as they may buy carbon offsets total to the energy use.

If you had a 100% green energy dataceneter then you would have no redundant power etc and it would be unstable for any production level environment.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

Try to look at turnkeyinternet they are 100% green data center.

Quote Originally Posted by timeshost View Post
    Try to look at turnkeyinternet they are 100% green data center.
    Completely not true. Please give me a reference as to what makes them 100% 'green'.

Please show me where they are completely off the grid, running on only solar and possibly water (their site is not updated)

You can sit a DC on top of a hydro plant and line its roofs with solar. I guarantee you it is still hooked to electric with a sub station down the block as well as gas generators.

DCs have a fiduciary responsibility to be as green as they can, not because they want to save the earth. Can you imagine a DC that disregards energy saving? Ya no capitol there from investors or interest in a inefficient high power cost DC.
    Last edited by SPINIKR-RO; 01-21-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

Well I was talking to their sales team and they said that this is 100% Green without GAS.

Quote Originally Posted by timeshost View Post
    Well I was talking to their sales team and they said that this is 100% Green without GAS.
    Unfortunately green is a sales pitch still in hosting.

They might be carbon neutral, they look to be a very high-percentage green-energy powered. But there's simply no such thing as 100% green. After all, gas-guzzling trucks deliver their servers right? Is all the packaging from their servers recyclable? Are they even carbon neutral?

With that said, Turnkey is miles and miles ahead of most providers I come across. So that's good. They do appear hydroelectic and solar powered.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Okay but not everythingia green. What I believe is green is wind or water Powered but most important servers that uses less resources but at the same time able to provide a+ service

It is true there isn't such thing as 100% green. Because green is a term used to market. Take a look at the practical things a "Green" provers talks about. What they do that makes them so green. Choose a provider that gives you good information on what makes them green.

If being green means doing things so the planet is not worse off by your having an account with them, then consider offsetting your own carbon footprint using a host that doesn't claim to be green. Carbon offsets, when chosen properly, like planting trees and investing in green power infrastructure isn't a sham. Maybe a provider will help you calculate your energy usage, then triple it and go to a reputable organization and give them money to actually lessen or reverse your impact. This could be the least expensive way.

Otherwise, you get what you pay for. If a company is doing many good things for the planet (beyond what others do) they have to charge more. Hosting is a relatively narrow margin business. Being responsible is costly. So cheap and green isn't very realistic. Better to figure what you can afford, and make a plan to use some of that to offset or pay a green company that has values like yours...

What's more important, being green, or purchasing your electricity from a renewable energy plant?

Ever heard of Srecs?

Being green is a way of being. It signifies a commitment to doing progressively more to have a lesser negative impact and a greater positive impact. Unless one is green-washing, being green starts with some act, like participating in getting the most responsibly produced energy you can, followed by more and more acts. There isn't a perfect state of green-dom. So if you purchase SRECS that is a good thing. Someone else might have a different way. Like others have said, you aren't going to easily find hosting providers wasting energy in the first place, but what more can be done to make your operation less harmful?

So I'd say that doing both is the direction. Because energy is the major culprit here, start doing the best you can muster to move toward cleaner and cleaner energy. So maybe you purchase SRECS now and maybe some day you install your own solar panels and produce your own SRECS in the future.

If marketing is the only goal, then you are not green. But if marketing is part of the reason you start being green the fine with me. IMO if you keep taking steps, mostly in the right direction, that is green.

Wouldn't hurt recycling, that is a must if you are serious. Also, using less in the first place is a good thing as well. Use both sides of the paper. Or better yet resist printing.

Once you start, it is easy to find ways to improve. That is the green journey.

Welcome!

The very nature of running an online business itself is green.

I run my own green hosting company, and as mentioned above I don't think that at the moment there is a hosting provider that can actually provide 100% green hosting. The reason being is that relying solely on solar power, wind power etc. to power your hosting infrastructure isn't 99.99999% reliable all of the time. There will always be a backup generator connected to the grid to ensure uptime.

A 'Real' Green hosting business should ensure that everything that your business touches effects the environment as little as possible. The hosting that I provide is carbon offset which is giving something back to the environment. All of my back office operations are completed via the web, clients pay over the web and invoices are emailed. The office is as paperless as it can be and I recycle everything, even the office desk is made from recycled office furniture. Being 'Green' shouldn't be a marketing gimmick it is a way of life and should be rooted through the businesses foundations right from the beginning.

if you are still looking for hosting then my business is called green house web hosting. Take a look.

easyDNS is bullfrog powered and now has a Wordpress hosting option

Quote Originally Posted by mcJames View Post
    Any recommendations on companies who focus on wordpress ? What I like about WPE is their focus on security and wp tuning...

I think people missed this point. Turnkey is not a dedicated WordPress host. Hosts that are just regular hosts are not going to fine tune WordPress and understand WordPress issues. They might help with basic tasks and eventually give you the standard reply "WordPress is 3rd party software that we do no support.....your on your own"!

I don't believe you can find any pure "Green" datacenter. Green datacenters are those designed for maximum energy efficiancy and minimum environment impact. The best way to archive the above goals is not to run any server, even not purchase any.
    For managed Wordpress hosting, you can try zippykid.com if you find WPengine is pricy. You can also check out the "wordpress hosting" plan from vps.net. If you want to find out how "green" they are, ask them.

Ya u can be a green save money

Probably has already been mentioned but the best one out there in my opinion is TurnKey Servers. They offer Customizable, Eco-friendly Servers VPS, Dedicated, & Cloud Solutions
    https://zuziko.com Learn WordPress and Web Development