Green hosting information

I want to know that how we can do green hosting I am confused about it so pls friends clear my confusion with your simple and useful replies.

There are a couple ways of doing green hosting..

One way is by using hybrid equipment like servers that run good of electric. These servers wont hurt our environment.

Then there is when you pay for hosting and a percentage goes into rebuilding trees and green life and many other ways like this..

Some hosts use green energy to power their servers and call them self green hosting provider..

Quote Originally Posted by BH-Greg View Post
    There are a couple ways of doing green hosting..

One way is by using hybrid equipment like servers that run good of electric. These servers wont hurt our environment.

Then there is when you pay for hosting and a percentage goes into rebuilding trees and green life and many other ways like this..

Some hosts use green energy to power their servers and call them self green hosting provider..
    I would do a combination of everything that Greg said here.

Use energy-efficient server (think about using SSD drives because they use less energy, AMD processors also tend use less energy... choose your hardware components carefully). Attempt to find a data center that uses green energy, not just energy credits. Some hosts will plant a tree with every hosting account. Eleven2 does this, I believe.

EDIT: Even though Green Hosting is often used as a marketing ploy, I believe that it's a serious issue that hosting providers need to address. Anything that we can do to lessen our impact on the environment we live in should be done. Don't NOT do this because you believe it's a marketing scheme. That's irresponsible.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Hybird equipment is good option for green hosting.

But you can post and discuss more useful info on this platform

Using wind energy, as a renewable energy source, is a way to go green by providing electricity to your data center and supporting the environment at the same time.

There are more and more green options for web hosting out there, but you must do you research. Also, all data centers have pollution issues related to e-waste and also back up generator power which necessitates large diesel engines and thousands of gallons of diesel fuel. Did you know that the back up generators in some data centers are powerful enough to power small cities? Have a look at this video: http://www.nytimes.com/video/2012/09...ter-going.html
    Aaron Handford, founder of MyGreenHosting.com
    100% Green web hosting solutions
    Powered directly by geothermal/renewable energy
    24/7 Livechat support

Anybody for BloomEnergy?

Have you guys heard about BloomEnergy (www.bloomenergy.com)?

I heard from a friend that Google used them to power their servers/dc.

Although I don't think it's 100% green technology, it does provide an alternative to the current "green" strategy for more environment-friendly and cost-effective energy sources.
    Bayanihan.net - Create Your Hosting and Domain Reseller Store

Thanks all for the inform

BloomEnergy.com looks amazing! Thanks for the link. We will be in contact with them when we build our Canadian data center.
    Aaron Handford, founder of MyGreenHosting.com
    100% Green web hosting solutions
    Powered directly by geothermal/renewable energy
    24/7 Livechat support

Many hosts provide green hosting

Can I use it for bulk emailing with Interspire ?

There are many shades of green. You need to determine a budget, and make a prioritized list of what is important to you. What is green to you. And go shopping for a good fit. Every process creates waste. So claims of being 100% green should be taken with a bit of sea salt. Look for providers that have information on what they do and be sure and have your hosting needs met by them. All within your budget.

Because the fact is that you are the one creating a carbon footprint (by needing hosting), so maybe you might ask yourself first: What can I do to be green in my (life, business, and hosting choices). Make this about what you can do, not just what some company claims (though that is important too!).

Wasn't short but hopefully helpful!

Wow, I was looking for some information of green hosting and it's nice that there are some great info in here. In general, I know now that most green hosting companies implements wind turbines.

I heard about green hosting very recently ...
    Powering a data center directly with renewable energy, planting trees, plants and grass around and over Data Centers and more day to day activities such as energy conservation and the use of energy saving appliances.

About Green Hosting

Hi,

I want to know each and everything information installation about "green hosting" and its process ?

If you want to be honest and say your hosting is green you have a very, very hard and long path ahead of you. None of these is absolute, there are many approaches, and ignorant people are likely to just respond that it can't be done (with the odds I sometimes agree with them), but here goes:

1). Start with a long, inner posed question: "Why do I want to be a green host?" If you want to deceive people and be dishonest and think this is away to make some quick money then nothing I say will make sense because it is hard to do and not a marketing ploy. If you truly want to make a positive difference, then proceed, otherwise pick another scam like being the cheapest host around, or having deceptive unlimited plans. If you are serious you will have to alter your life and start to become green in everything you do. Anyone not personally committed to this can't even begin to approach the problem. You can't be green at work and then drive home and be wasteful. The internet and library are full of information so start learning. Estimated time to alter your life: one year. Now that you have your priorities straight:

2). Depending on whether you are building a data center or going with an existing data center you need to measure the output of carbon (and other greenhouse gasses) and start with the knowledge of the negative impact your activity (hosting, DC operation, using any computer connected to the internet) has. This is not something you can do in a few days, or a week. This should take about a year of your life to understand because there are many complexities. If you are serious, then you should have a very sick feeling in your stomach, or possibly a sense of hopelessness at several points along the way. Why? Because the odds of reversing such a grand impact are staggering. I hope you do proceed though because I want everyone in the world to do this. Why do you think that governments don't just enact some legislation or make a green plan? Well, some have and they are so far failures, but that is a start, and mostly because it is one of the most difficult and challenging problems humankind has ever faced. The hosting industry is no exception, in fact it will be one of the hardest to change and is one of the most negatively impacting industries around. Estimated time to understand the problem: one year. Now that you have the problem defined:

3). Design an approach to: eliminate that impact and offset that which you can't eliminate. Then figure out how to make a positive net impact towards the planet. YOU MUST BE MAKING A POSITIVE NET IMPACT TO BE 100% GREEN. All processes have waste (if you did number one and two above you would know this) and it is easiest to not pollute in the first place. Even if you designed a 100% solar powered, or simply tapped into a hydro powered grid you would not be in the position of positive net impact. Why? Because things break and need to be fixed (reused) or discarded (recycled) and that makes your impact negative. You have to be responsible for all the processes that pollute. When they make all the equipment it pollutes. When you are done with it that pollutes. Then there is the pollution generated to transport it. In seemingly endless ways we are destroying the planet. Estimated time to craft a solution: one year. Now that you have your solution defined:

4). Start implementing your approach and tell the world what you are doing, share your struggles, your triumphs and put a little label on your site and say "we are trying to be green and doing hard work to reduce our impact." The more you become green, the more work you see to still do. It is an ever-difficult challenge. Anyone who says they are green and honest would be constantly designing approaches to become more green because that is how it works. If you don't mind finding out that your shade of green is very close to brown and are willing to suck it up and do something about it then you can finally say you are green, and be sure you have the proof and share it.

In short, the industry does much to be efficient, but that isn't green because the net effect is still negative. If a data centers used green power that would be wonderful and only a start. But please consider it! Do it! If a DC did this and it wasn't the only thing (see numbers 1-4 above), then I think they can call themselves green with an asterisk to explain. If a host planted enough trees to offset the carbon emissions generated by what they did that would be a great start and they could post a sign and make green claims if they are doing steps 1-4 above and they honestly say what they are doing, how and keep making inroads. Doing some little or big thing and posting a notice on your site saying you are green is probably deceptive. Many visitors and the industry will know you are not being honest.

Sorry I can't give definitive steps that are easy and cost very little because that is impossible. But I'm serious about this and I hope you are too. Start doing something and take steps every day. Soon, in a few years you can say to the world "I'm green!*"

Our data center in Toronto Canada is another example of a green data center, since it's very close to lake Ontario, it uses Enwave's Deep Lake Water Cooling; renewable & clean.

Thumbs up Green Hosting Practicality

I love environment so I preferred all environment friendly but for beginners like me, my budget is tight so I need a bit cheaper hosting because usually green hosting are really more expensive than conventional hosting.

The difference is that.. for environment lovers, spend a lot to promote the green hosting. They use most environment friendly materials and everything but the output and quality are just the same with non green..

Green Hosting Certs

14001 is the Green IT certification.

Companies that are under ISO 14001, what they do is set targets for environmental performance and raise them when they are met, continually improving performance.

14001 is a subset of the 27001 which is the most prestigious and toughest certification to obtain.

There is a company in Germany for example that has 2 data centers fully powered by hydroelectricity.

This is quoted from an article on Blue Acorn. I cannot link websites yet, so I'll copy and paste it for you.

" Whether you’re planning a new website for a start-up business or recreating an existing corporate site, now is the perfect time to take a closer look at your hosting company and determine whether there might be more environmentally friendly options. Green or “carbon-neutral” web hosting is an increasingly popular choice… but what qualifies a hosting company as green, and how can you find one?

What is Green Web Hosting?

By now, we’ve become accustomed to companies making green choices in their everyday operations – choosing recycled paper products, for instance, or turning off lights and other machines when they’re not in use to save energy. Cleaner fuels create less smog, and recyclable packaging means less garbage goes into landfills. But to most of us, the Internet appears to exist without any physical elements. Isn’t it environmentally friendly by default?

Not exactly. The machines that power the Internet – such as the computers your host uses to store and publish your website files—consume an enormous amount of power, not to mention the physical space and administrative needs required by the hosting company. It’s possible for all of these to be provided in an environmentally responsible manner – but not all companies are willing to put in the extra effort and foresight. It’s up to you to decide which type of company you will support.

What Makes a Hosting Company Green or Carbon-Neutral?

There’s an influx of new, “green” hosting companies out there, using one or more of these solutions to offset the energy costs of running a website:

Using wind or solar power provided by their own eco-friendly energy sources
    Buying electricity from Bullfrog and other green power companies
    Purchasing Renewable Energy Certificates from their energy company (representing eco-friendly energy sources)
    Donating to organizations that offset the carbon footprint of their operation by planting trees
    Implementing green office procedures to lessen energy consumption in the office: lights-out hours, carpools, solar-powered offices, telecommuting staff, paperless operations or recycled paper, discounts to non-profit organizations and environmental groups, less heating usage, and extra-efficient machines
    Who Offers Green Web Hosting?

Green web hosts are all over the Internet these days, clamoring for your attention, but not all of them are created equal. Take the time to ask questions, comparing and contrasting the services and environmental benefits offered by various hosts. Below are a few of today’s most popular green hosting options:

Dreamhost and Host Papa rely on Renewable Energy Certificates to support eco-friendly energy sources for their hosting operations.
    AISO is 100% powered by its own solar energy platform.
    Go Green Web Hosting is powered by wind energy.
    Ethical Hosting and PlanetAir both run on green energy from Bullfrog.
    ThinkHost offers solar- and wind-powered web hosting, and allows employees to telecommute. They also volunteer with socially progressive organizations.
    iPage is 100% wind powered.
    Green Geeks buys Renewable Energy Certificates worth three times the amount of energy they use, calling themselves 300% green hosting. They also minimize energy costs in the office and support telecommuting employees.
    [NOTE: This list is not intended to reflect our recommendations for hosts, nor a complete listing of all green hosting companies, but merely a rundown of some of the available options.]

These and many other green hosting companies are paving the way to a new online business model that relies on sustainable power and eco-friendly choices to support our Earth, our neighbors, and our future.

The Cost and Value of Going Green

It might cost you a few extra dollars to get a hosting package from a company that offers a completely carbon-neutral service, but it’s worth the price – not only in the value of knowing your company’s choices will help to preserve the planet, but also in boosting your bottom line.

Green web hosting is a small investment that will make a big difference to many of your customers, clients, and colleagues. Today’s consumers are more aware of environmental impact than ever before, and many of them choose their products and services with an eye toward sustainable alternatives. Going green is a feel-good choice, and an easy way to show your concern for the Earth without sacrificing business growth or quality of service. So by leveraging the “marketability” of green hosting, you can actually bolster your value proposition to those consumers. "