Fastest MySQL server

Hi,

I am looking for a very fast mysql solution.

My app has a lot of write querries.
    I read about memchached, clustering, geography partitioning... and frankly my knowledge is limited.

Tell me your experience.

MySQL speed can be improved in a few area's.

Firstly before you look at the servers hardware, check the application. The reason for slowness is normally not the hardware but coding that is very MySQL intensive. Sure hardware isn't always that expensive but improving the coding is free plus a bit of time.

Speeding up MySQL is a fairly easy concept, you generally want to improve the performance of where it's stored. So this is looking at changing your hard drives from something like SATA 7.2k disks, to 15k SAS drive or SSD drives etc...

So whats the fastest hard drive? well RAM, not technically but it can be for the purpose. So RAM is always going to be faster than a hard drive, if you have enough of it then it makes scene just to store all your database there, once the server has booted up of course.

What if you don't have enough RAM, well then their is caching. Basically this just stores the most common queries in RAM, so if their run again the database can just hand over what's in RAM without having to query the disk.

Cache can also be used in your application, using something like PHP memcache you can stop the query even hitting the MySQL server and wasting precious processing power and resources.

What server do you have at the moment? what application is using the server?
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

If your goal is purely MySQL performance you may want to look at a dedicated server based solution, and not a cloud server.

SSDs do good work for improving overall database performance.

As your doing a lot of writes... Maybe change the storage engine?
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

I would look into a dedicated server aswell if you are purely looking for sql performance.. A server with either a hookup to a fast SAN or a set of ssd discs is a good option for pure performance.

You may better replace mysql with percona server . Also use Debian OS for your mysql server. We had big issues in a VB forum which was badly performing in Centos kernel. So we changes OS to debian and replaced with percona. It works great now . Also try to put temp tables in memory too .
    24x7 PROACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

So to sum it up :
    Percona server on dedicated running Debian with SSD and use temp in RAM

thanks !
    Last edited by mcdroid; 02-06-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdroid View Post
    So to sum it up :
    Percona server on dedicated running Debian with SSD and use temp in RAM

thanks !
    also + good mysql configuration . Good luck too
    24x7 PROACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

what is a good mysql config ?

Is there a tool to deploy instances of mysql and dispatch queries across multiple servers?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdroid View Post
    Is there a tool to deploy instances of mysql and dispatch queries across multiple servers?
    Have not used MySQL Proxy personally... but maybe it is something you are looking for.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

I suggest you 3 ways.

1) Check your application queries. Make sure you have using correct database engine. I think innodb would be better for you. Also, make sure you have added correct index to your database.

2) Use mysqltuner. Check whether you have correct amount of RAM.

3) Using SSD drives will improve your performance.

Once you have done the above three you will have a good database server.

Given that you want something write heavy and clustered, have you considered MySQL Cluster? MySQL Cluster seem to fit the bill.

Can you cite more usage details like:
    1. Desired performance in terms of requests per second?
    2. Size of data inserted/updated?
    3. Type of writes?
    4. Sample schema perhaps?