godaddy.com transfer ownership feature

HI!

I don't know if everyone knows this. I have 3 domains with godaddy.com before I found out about stargateinc.com. Anyway, there is no problem with godaddy's service.

Just one noticeable thing -- they charge a fee to transfer ownership (change registrant?). It is $19.95 and nonrefundable. Is it reasonable? What I mean is why are they charging when others are offering the service for free?

If I were to transfer ownership for my godaddy domains, there is one alternative in my mind. I would simply transfer the domains to another domain registrar (most probably stargateinc.com) and then change the info in there for free.

Please correct me if my observation is in error.

Thanks.

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

I think by "transfer ownership" they mean like if you sell the domain to someone else. Not the same as "Transfer Registrars".

Yes, that is correct. And within stargateinc.com you can simply change the info (dns, registrant, admin, technical, billing) and change the username and password and pass them to the person who bought the domain. You don't pay a cent.
    That is why I don't understand why they (godaddy.com)are charging.

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

I think they charge because some people will pay.
    I don't think everyone knows that some registrars don't charge for this service.
    I have some domains with GoDaddy. But like consul does; I just move one to StarGate if I need to change registrant information.

Back to the question . . . . . . NO. I don't find it a reasonable charge.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

To transfer registrars, it is the cost of 1 year of registration.

You can simply change the info (dns, admin, technical, billing) and change the username and password and you don't pay a cent.

If you change the registrant (owner), then it is a $19.95 fee.
    Wayne Stevens
    Texas Web Solutions, Inc

Originally posted by texasweb
    To transfer registrars, it is the cost of 1 year of registration.

You can simply change the info (dns, admin, technical, billing) and change the username and password and you don't pay a cent.

If you change the registrant (owner), then it is a $19.95 fee.
    GoDaddy limits what information you can change for the domain admin.
    You can't change the registrants name.

You can change the registrants name.

You may transfer the Ownership of one or more domain names that currently belong to the same Registrant and will be transferred to one other Registrant. The fee for transferring ownership is $19.95 per domain.
    Wayne Stevens
    Texas Web Solutions, Inc

Originally posted by texasweb
    You can change the registrants name.

You may transfer the Ownership of one or more domain names that currently belong to the same Registrant and will be transferred to one other Registrant. The fee for transferring ownership is $19.95 per domain.
    That's what consul's talking about. $19.95 per domain seems like a lot of money for something so simple that other registrars charge nothing.

So let me re-phrase my previous post.

"GoDaddy limits what information you can change for the domain admin without extra charges.
    You can't change the registrants name unless you pay $19.95 per domain."

It's all about the services you offer at what prices. Where it gets ugly is when the fees are hidden.

Some domain registrars charge you a low price to get in and charge you to transfer, change owners, manage DNS, etc.

Some charge you a high price to get in and a price to transfer out.

Some charge you a reasonable fee, with no hidden fees and try to add value to their service.

It's up to you to determine who you will support based on their business practices.

I had an email from someone a week ago who was basically yelling at me because I don't sell domains for $8.95. He wanted to register 150 domains, and wanted me to do it for less than my cost. I'm not here to lose money, but I'm willing to bargain for bulk orders. I offered to register his 150 domains for my registration costs plus credit card fees, plus $1 profit a domain. He declined. He registered with another registrar who will charge him when he sells the domains to another person (he is a speculator, so the reason he's buying domains is to resell them). He just reduced his profit by $3000 when he goes to sell them. He did save $300+ now, but he'll lose nearly $3000 if he sells all the domains by paying the additional transfer fee. His choice .

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

what the....
    Damn, I emailed godaddy's support recently and they said they charge $50 for a ownership transfer, jeez, I could have saved a lot more time selling one of my domains if it was $20.. maybe they changes prices recently

Summary
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Domain Question

Suggested Solution
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    At 09/10/2001 06:10 PM we wrote -

Dear Sir/Ms.,

The cost for change of ownership is $50.00, a application is in the domain manager. You will need to fill out all of the information, sign it and fax it in. If you have anyother questions about this please feel free to contact us.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Visit our web forum for information that may answer some of your questions at:

<a href=http://www.supportwebsite.com>Supportwebsite.com<a>

Sincerely,
    Steve
    Go Daddy Software
    Technical Support Representative

When people ask why domains cost more at one company than at another, they generally don't understand the hidden fees.

If you are selling domains at a loss, you can't make it up in volume - you have to make money some other way.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net