Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Similar Threads" and "Related posts from TheWhir.com"

Is the "Related Posts From The WHIR" New? I know Similar Threads aren't.

It has just today become noticeable and a bit annoying. Makes threads longer and you have to go below it to change pages.

edit* http://i49.tinypic.com/nl7890.jpg - Very annoying, way too much going on down south.
    Last edited by SPINIKR-RO; 08-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

Not new. They used to be down at the bottom of the page. We're looking at different options and the current position is something we're looking at.

While I'd agree that it makes it a little further to get to the Quick Reply box. I'm not sure it's too far at this point or if we're just not used to seeing them there.

We'll let some others chime in though.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I need to note though that you can click the - or + in the right corner to minimize or expand them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    I need to note though that you can click the - or + in the right corner to minimize or expand them.
    Ah good point,

Though I wonder if its bugged for anyone else. When I collapse one of them and attempt to collapse the other, the original one just expands again.

At first I thought the Quick Reply was gone. Now that I have them minimized, it seems OK.

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Ro View Post
    Though I wonder if its bugged for anyone else. When I collapse one of them and attempt to collapse the other, the original one just expands again.
    I had the same exact problem.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

Ah good point,

Yep, does the same thing for me in Chrome. I see that when I refreshed the page, they both went away.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

It's really strange the way that it is now. I can certainly see why you'd want this to be a little more prominent. At the same time, it would be nice if the pagignation were below the most recent post, rather than right above the "quick reply" box.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Just A quick suggestion, why not move those whir links to right sidebar?

--Roel.

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    Yep, does the same thing for me in Chrome. I see that when I refreshed the page, they both went away.
    That worked for me until I came back later, and they were back.
    Change is bad (and get off of my lawn)!
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I guess they are trying to get more people onto WHIR, but the issue maybe that I have never found it appealing content.

I would go their more often if they had a better video option, did not have so many press release type advertising posts, filler content with self advertising events. Its also very slow to load all the ads and assets on there.

The related posts feature here actually does not have much related content. I have only gone there a few times and found it a bit boring.

(no offense intended)

I guess they are trying to get more people onto WHIR, but the issue maybe that I have never found it appealing content.

I would go their more often if they had a better video option, did not have so many press release type advertising posts, filler content with self advertising events. Its also very slow to load all the ads and assets on there.

The related posts feature here actually does not have much related content. I have only gone there a few times and found it a bit boring.

(no offense intended)
    This, I'm seeing related threads dating back to 2003. I can't even minimize both of them.
    █ | Hoopla Hosting -
    █ | WordPress Web Hosting New Zealand - Reseller Hosting - cPanel - Zurmo Hosting - Softaculous - CloudFlare

Can say that I'm not a fan of the placement, it'll probably just get greasemonkey'd out imo.

I do understand that iNet wants to get people on their other properties, but how about doing it in a way that isn't shoving it down our throats?

I'm also in agreement with HC-Ro, TheWhir contains absolutely no content that I'm interested in reading, its nothing but press releases, or content that I'd rather see on WHT.
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

I would like to have an option in the control panel to hide the Similar Thread and TheWhir.com boxes, I can't see myself using them and they push the Quick Reply box farther away from the end of the thread.

I must say that I'm not a fan of this either. I appreciate that iNet interactive have other commercial interests and have every right to push content from their other sites, but I find it irritating.

Yeah. The minimizing option does seem a bit on the wonky side.

I'll point our Product Manager to this thread so he can absorb the feedback.

Thanks for everyone's input. Keep it coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
    Can say that I'm not a fan of the placement, it'll probably just get greasemonkey'd out imo.

I do understand that iNet wants to get people on their other properties, but how about doing it in a way that isn't shoving it down our throats?

I'm also in agreement with HC-Ro, TheWhir contains absolutely no content that I'm interested in reading, its nothing but press releases, or content that I'd rather see on WHT.

Ok what the heck is the junk on WHIR, I finally gave 3 minutes of my life there

Latest Articles
    Learn How You Can Make Sure Your Web Host Is Really Running Your Web Hosting Plan
    Anyone proof this? Or even check and see if it made sense? I had to eye it 3 times to begin to understand, and then still nothing.

As you explore all the web hosting services available to you, it is sometimes difficult to see through all the sales rhetoric to really gauge the quality of a particular hosting provider. With so many small-scale providers using reseller plans from other providers, how can you figure out if your potential hosting company is really...
    (stops here the rest is 404 among others)

Ok, general, generic content.

from jaguarpc.com

The by line "Articles" reads

Article Central has web hosting, domain name, reseller hosting, web development, web site management, small business, web technology and web site design articles and consumer resources.
    All of this is just crummy seo bait. Reminds me of the SEO joke that went around:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...o-a-bar/69419/

An SEO copywriter walks into a bar, grill, pub, public house, Irish, bartender, drinks, beer, wine, liquor...

Among the home page there are 42 advertisements and some other sketchy looking paid content. Ads after ads after ads. Even sub categories of some of the links are just pages of ads.

A serious readability and trust issue here for content.

EDIT* I should add that the sidebar already has whir content. http://i47.tinypic.com/5o8gls.jpg
    Last edited by SPINIKR-RO; 08-25-2012 at 08:30 AM.

If anything, please move the pagination up. Its a pain in the rear to read long threads and have to scroll so far for that.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

They should either move the block to the right side, under the area where it already lists posts from TheWhir, or remove it entirely. The posts it lists aren't even remotely related, its more "here, go visit this article that has no relation to what you're actually reading, but we think you might like it anyway"

At the least, return the format how it was before, with pagination under the last post, then quick reply, then the two "related" boxes underneath it.

For the record, I like TheWHIR, but I keep up with it via twitter.

Another vote for pagination being moved up.

I've read multiple threads and keep thinking the thread is a single page because it does not have any second page link in view where I am used to finding it. When I hit adverts (or similar threads etc) my brain treats that as the end of the thread, I don't expect Page 1 of 2 to appear under that.

Not new. They used to be down at the bottom of the page. We're looking at different options and the current position is something we're looking at.
    two words... Eww and EWWWW . Ok, technically one word.
    You have a sidebar that in many threads (this one for example) is not even halfway filled, is it REALLY necessary to make us scroll down past this stuff just to get to a reply?
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

It's still annoying clutter even when minimized...

I'm fine with the change, people are acting like scrolling down an extra two inches down a screen is going to make them so exhausted they won't be able to work.

The only change I would like to see is the button at the bottom right to change pages be placed above "Similar Threads" while the quick reply stays under it.

Quote Originally Posted by FTN-Chris View Post
    It's still annoying clutter even when minimized...
    If you can get it to minimize. For some, it won't.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    If you can get it to minimize. For some, it won't.
    Because whoever was responsible for coding them in is a genius, and just ripped the code for the normal Similar Threads bit, leaving the minimize box labeled the same, so when you close one, and try to close the other it think's you're just maximizing it again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast