Expiring at Godaddy = backorder at Godaddy?

A domain I'm monitoring which is registered at GoDaddy will expire in the future.

I want to back-order that domain and make sure I get it. I think it makes sense that GoDadaddy's back-order service would be the best way to do it. What do you think?

Also, lets say the domain expires tomorrow, how much time will it take before I get control of it?

I believe many registrars do a 30 day grace period, but the lure of money for backorder might sway that, I am not sure.

Godaddys backorder would not be the way to go. In terms of being effective pool, snapnames and enom are better choices.
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by dmaven
    Godaddys backorder would not be the way to go. In terms of being effective pool, snapnames and enom are better choices.
    Well, if it was any domain then I would use pool, snapnames and enom. The thing is that the domain is expiring at godaddy. So, my thinking is if godaddy sees that I back-ordered the domain, they won't release the domain but they will renew it and let me have it. It makes sense afterall.

I think I heard somewhere here that some other registrar does it this way - doesn't release an expiring domain if some backordered it though its back-order service.

You are referring to netsol. I think Bulkregister as well. Both use snapnames for this. In essence once a name expires someone can place a backorder on it during the registrars grace period. It seems to be a new spin and works well for the registrars.
    Domain Maven

Godaddy is exclusively catching their own drops. As in you a guaranteed the name is you have the backorder at Godaddy and they are the droping registrar.

Aha, so does godaddy work the same way as netsol and bulkregister?
    If yes, then back-ordering though godaddy seems to be the way to go :

Yes and no. They are catching their own drops but they don't go into an auction if multiple people backorder. Early bird gets the worm.

ok, thanks