hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Green Hosting : Air cooled datacenter

Forum Jump

Air cooled datacenter

Reply Post New Thread In Green Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
WHT Addict

Air cooled datacenter

We are getting ready to make some colocation space one of our datacenters available to the public. It uses a hybrid system that uses air cooling most of the time with a mechanical system when it's very hot in the summer (Northwest North Carolina).

We filter the air for particles and add/remove humidity as needed, temperature is always between 69 and 73F.

We maintain humidity between 40% and 60%, does anybody look for tighter humidity controls and for what reason?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 AM

Corrosion and static electical charges are a big danger to hardware. Although some manufacturers allow their products to operate as low as 30% it may not be ideal for a general purpose datacenter. Our datacenter operators run between 45-50%.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
WHT Addict

Corrosion is the classic problem with having humidity that is too high.

The other problem you mention, static is the opposite, when humidity is too low and can cause electrostatic discharge (ESD) problems with people and components as well as the dreaded in-server ESD normally only seen in the driest conditions.

Most equipment can operate in a much wider range though. Below are the specs for your average piece of dacenter equipment.

Operating Temperature: 10to 35C (50to 95F)
Non-operating Temperature: -40to 70C (-40to 158F)
Operating Relative Humidity: 8% to 90% (non-condensing)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 AM

scarcity oodacrs

thanks for the info.. i was looking for it..

Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 PM

Netapp built one that uses air for cooling when possible at RTP in NC. Give them a call; I'm sure they would love to talk to you about how they handle humidity.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 PM
WHT Addict

I have seen it many times, what a fantastic facility. They let their humidity drift to 75% or more. Everything is fine at that humidity with server vendors, but tapes and tape drives are sometimes outside the mfg spec.

Video of NetApp
https://communities.netapp.com/videos/1282

http://www.netapp.com/us/company/new...-20100714.html

http://www.dacentec.com sales@dacentec.com

Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Web Hosting Master

5% +/- change in relative humidity is about normal for most data centers, keep an eye on it though, you certainly don't want a built up of static or condensation.

Most data centers I worked in have some "free cooling" rooms, but they are predominately for their own equipment not colo.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Junior Guru

This reminds me of Google's top secret datacenters and Facebook datacenter as well.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM

I have been working on a solution for my small data closet (dare I call it a data center) that entails earth tubes.

That solution typically maintains a steady 30-60% humidity from all the paperwork I have gone over thus far.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended

What is the basic problems do you felt when you tried to be green? Means using the air cool DC is not in just TEXAS so you just use windmill energy, so?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 PM

scotland would be a good place to put a data centre during the winter freezing here lol