Only three days on the forum and I receive Spam from certain hosting companies...

Hello,

This is a very unique place, no doubt about that. I've been coming here for about 2 months before I decided to sign up and have a little fun on my own.

So, I've signed up only three days ago and this morning I have found my inbox with spam from web hosting companies. I've never received anything like that before.

One of the companies was www.webstrators.com. I don't know if you're allowed to write the name of the company here, but I'm kind of very pissed.

How would anyone EVER approve this kind of unethical behavior and method of looking for clients? Those who sign up for these offers much be the most naive people in the world.. How does their mind work I wonder?

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

If you receive SPAM, report it to the moderators by using the email link at the bottom of every page so they can deal with it.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

that kind of thing is definitely not tolerated here.

sorry that had to happen. no chance it could be a coincidence?
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

More likely not coincidence.

Originally posted by skelley1
    that kind of thing is definitely not tolerated here.

sorry that had to happen. no chance it could be a coincidence?
    SoftWareRevue, thank you for help.

Skelley, NO, doesn't seem to be a coincidence. Today is the first day I've started to receive web hosting offers. I have never received them before.

BUT here is a question: Does Spam really still effective so that some guys bother sending it out? Do they really think there are people left (on this planet) who sign up with their offers??? my God!!, if its true...

unfortunately it is effective. if it weren't, spammers wouldn't be spending the extra money it takes to do it. the response rate is understandably low, but enough that it must at least pay for itself.

there are definitely people on this planet that are signing up for these offers. the world brings it on itself. if people stopped responding, spammers would eventually stop spamming as it wouldn't pay off.

I hav'nt posted here in months and posted to a few threads yesterday. I recieved 3 web hosting emails today. I normally don't get any. It could be a coincidence or maybe not. I'll save the next one and post it in this thread.
    Those who can read and don't are no better off than those who can't. - Sam Clemens

I've never gotten any hosting spam... *shrugs*

Re: More likely not coincidence.

Originally posted by Artashes
    Today is the first day I've started to receive web hosting offers.
    It's unfortunate Artashes, but you have your email address is your signature rather than leaving it secure behind your profile. You could be helping yourself by making it harder for those who search boards such as this for email addresses.

Cheers

Gary

Re: Re: More likely not coincidence.

Originally posted by Editor

It's unfortunate Artashes, but you have your email address is your signature rather than leaving it secure behind your profile. You could be helping yourself by making it harder for those who search boards such as this for email addresses.

Cheers

Gary
    Correct!!!
    - Access times consistently below 80ms
    - 100% uptime the past 3 consecutive months (Alertra monitored)
    - Dell dual xeon servers in local DC
    - Visit us today @ www.webulex.com

thats why i always use certian email addy's and NEVER have my email viewable by forum members. Just asking for spam.

Sad sate of affairs, but it seems to be the norm these days.

there are also programs out there that will skim over sites and pull out email addresses which is why some people post their email address as name[@]domain.com instead of name@domain.com

The only time i've recieved something was right after I posted a request in the thread for hosting. My email/private message inbox had a few inquiries. I also got a few instant messages on AIM the other night.

FWIW...I got the same email and have received those before too.
    my email is hidden...go figure
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Originally posted by Dajo77
    The only time i've recieved something was right after I posted a request in the thread for hosting. My email/private message inbox had a few inquiries. I also got a few instant messages on AIM the other night.
    That's understandable, since you're activly looking for hosting. I would call that more cold calling sales.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

An idea you might consider, IF you already have ahosting account, is using a specific email address which you use for unsecure registartion such as WHT, and have that point to a :fail or just do an automatic 'unplesant reply' to the sender .... although the problem might be that if you use that address here you might miss enlighting 'your post has been moved' mails from chicken
    I wanted a signature but all I got was a scribble ...

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    That's understandable, since you're activly looking for hosting. I would call that more cold calling sales.
    I don't mind it.. people trying to offer me better deals, it's kinda nice.

Hmm, I'm thinking that exposing an email here (a throwaway one maybe) would be a good way to find out who not to do business with.

I don't mind displaying the e-mail...

Guys,

I don't mind displaying my e-mail in my signature.. I mean the same e-mail is all over my web site so an extra 3-4 spam messages per day won't change anything. No matter how sad it might sound...

I receive about 50 spam messages per day on all mot active accounts...

But thank you for caring... I feel happy.

happy holidays!

Re: I don't mind displaying the e-mail...

Originally posted by Artashes
    Guys,

I don't mind displaying my e-mail in my signature.. I mean the same e-mail is all over my web site so an extra 3-4 spam messages per day won't change anything. No matter how sad it might sound...

I receive about 50 spam messages per day on all mot active accounts...

But thank you for caring... I feel happy.

happy holidays!
    Yes, be happy, 50 smap messages is not so bad. I receive about 2000 spam messages in a week, I'll leave it up to you to do the math.
    - Access times consistently below 80ms
    - 100% uptime the past 3 consecutive months (Alertra monitored)
    - Dell dual xeon servers in local DC
    - Visit us today @ www.webulex.com

I suppose you folks are referring to:

----- Original Message -----
    To: <----------@perfecthost.net>
    Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 6:57 AM
    Subject: FREE WebHosting --> First 300 People
    And here I was going to rush so I could be one of the first 300 people.
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

webstrator.com is one of them

PerfectHost, yes, Webstrator.com is one of the e-mails i receive.

best