Question What's the difference between name based address and a dedicated IP address?

I plan to start a small business, but I'm not sure if I should shoot for a name based address or dedicated IP address for my site when it goes online. My small business will at first stream movies from independent filmmakers and help actors/actresses for free, and will stream my own productions in the near future.

I want my business to look as professional as possible, but does it matter if I have a name based address, or would it look more professional for my site to have it's own IP address? What's the difference between the two?

This post comes up first in a search using these keywords "name based, ip address", and I haven't found any relavent information to this search, so I guess I might be the first to ask this question.

No it doesnt make a difference to how professional your site is whether your on a dedicated or shared Ip.

the only time you will need a static IP is if you wish to use SSL with your domain name

for example:

https://www.yourcompany.com

So if I pick either name based or a dedicated IP address customers will still see my domain name as http://www.myname.com?

Does a dedicated IP address mean I have a server to myself?

I'm a newbie.

This topic has come up a few times, but I am not sure what search words it would be under.

A dedicated IP address can be a useful tool to have, not only for SSL certificate capabilities, but also so that you are able to administer your web site without relying on the domain name to be accessible. (For example, when your domain name is propogating or if it happens to expire, or if you ever decide to change your domain name.)

Some hosting companies will not provide you with anonymous FTP unless you acquire an IP address.

Also, there are studies that show Google and other search engines favor IP-based web sites over named-based virtual hosted sites. (Talk to an SEO expert to get more details on this, I don't want to make too many claims.)

Your customers won't necessarily know the difference. It doesn't necessarily make your web site "unprofessional" to lack an IP.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

Does a dedicated IP address mean I have a server to myself?
    No. It just means you have that IP to yourself

That's what I wanted to hear, no way I can afford a dedicated managed server right now, just want the IP address.

Thanks for the info Akash!

Thanks for that valuable piece of information jcwebii!

Don't want Google giving me the cold shoulder, but I was thinking about getting and IP address anyway instead of a name based one.

Your welcome HostQuest. I am glad we could help you out with a little information. Best of luck with your website ventures!
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

Dedicated IP is also useful while you are waiting for DNS propagation. You may access to the site with the IP instead of the domain name, which name based cannot.