Thumbs down

After they already have all of my information I question this:

Please print this. You must submit this form to cancel your account. If we do not receive this form via fax you will continue to be billed and you will be responsible for the charges. You also need to submit either a credit card or a online check to pay for your final bill. We will not cancel your account and release your domain if your account has an unpaid balance.
    Can someone clarify this business of 'releasing' my domain? If the I update my record @ Network Sol. to point to another DNS is this not sufficient?

and.....

I authorize ***** to deduct from the credit card above my final bill for my service as outlined in my original order form for the above domain. In the event that this charge is contested by myself or charged back to *****, I agree that I am responsible for any charges incurred by ***** in defending authorization. I also agree to pay the 5% fee associated with the chargeback should it occur. I also understand that if I am cancelling within the first 30 days of my contract, the startups are still non-refundable, but no hosting fees will be charged to me for service rendered in the first 30 days of my contract. If I am cancelling after the first 30 days, I am responsible for all charges incurred.

Signature: ______________________________________________
    (text bolded by myself.....)

Thanks all.

[Edited by Swamper on 12-15-2000 at 05:47 PM]

Thumbs down

Thats a pretty nice way to trick people. If I were you, I'd cancel my credit card and get a new one. What it means is that if you cancel the account, you have to pay a extra month and extra charges if they want to name it. If you do a charge back on them, you agree to pay for the fees plus a extra 5%. (IMHO)

Angry

Like Synergy said, if you want to terminate your ***** account, you may be better off cancelling your charge card and starting fresh.

I'm not going to waste energy spouting off on *****'s biz practices and past history.

Good luck

***** is one of the worst in the business. A number of former customers brought a lawsuit against them regarding their business practices this year, and petitioned for class action status in the suit. I haven't heard how that's progressing.

As for the part about "releasing" your domain, that's a load of crap. They can make it a bit more time-consuming for you by refusing to cooperate when you transfer your domain, but all you have to do is contact your registrar directly to send them whatever proof they require that you are the owner/registrar of the domain.

You don't need to comply with their "demands." Just, as everyone said, cancel your CC and get another.

If you're not already a *****, don't sign up with them. If you are and plan to leave their service, do so ASAP. See the last link in my sig for more info from this former ***** customer.
    Deb Suran
    Musical Instrument Makers Forum - http://www.mimf.com

Originally posted by Swamper
    After they already have all of my information I question this:

Can someone clarify this business of 'releasing' my domain? If the I update my record @ Network Sol. to point to another DNS is this not sufficient?

Yes, your domain will be "released" if you go to NetSol to point to another DNS....also, change the tech contact if they are the tech contact.

Originally posted by Greg
    Yes, your domain will be "released" if you go to NetSol to point to another DNS....also, change the tech contact if they are the tech contact. [/B]

Better yet, run away from NetSol and setup with another registrar with one credit card and cancel the credit card that you used with *****

Well, you've had some good and some bad advice in this list. Here's what I'd recommend:

Do *not* simply cancel your credit card and consider the problem solved. That's not a good way to do it, because then ***** could simply turn your account over to a collection agency (and they could just let the amount due accumulate for months if you don't actually cancel your account). This is a bad thing, as if you don't pay once it goes to collections then it'll impact your credit rating.

What I'd recommend is writing a polite and firm letter expressly stating you require them to close your account, you do *not* authorize any additional billing, and listing specifically the date the account must be closed.

Then take that letter (unsigned) to a Notary Public and sign the letter, having the notary put their seal on it that guarantees your identity (the notary will check your ID - this way ***** can't claim that the letter was forged, you see).

Then send the letter by certified, return-receipt-requested mail to *****. That way you'll have proof that they received it.

I know this is probably a pain, but trust me, it's the only truly safe way to cancel your account, especially with a host that refuses to be reasonable. Many hosts require cancellation in writing, and that's fine, but a simple signed letter should suffice - I can't think of any other hosts than ***** that I know would require you to use their form and provide your credit card again.

Anyway, best of luck to you!

Jason
    Jason Ellis
    All Star Internet Solutions
    Economy-priced nation-wide dial-up Internet access
    http://www.allstarisp.com/

Wow. Do people actually still host on CI?

I thought they went out of business...

Unhappy

Unfortunately, not only are they still in business, but they're still "recommended" by some host directories

Originally posted by etLux
    Wow. Do people actually still host on CI?

I thought they went out of business...
    You might as well fall on your
    face as lean over too far
    backwards.

Originally posted by AppleCider
    Unfortunately, not only are they still in business, but they're still "recommended" by some host directories
    And if you're willing to pay enough, you can be "recommended" too!

I guess it was just a rumor. I'd heard they ran afoul of a group of Jesuits who'd put an ecclesiastical site on their servers (thinking, of course, that CI was an abbreviation for Catholic Internet)... who then desceneded upon them en masse and talked them out of business.

Actually, you do not need to go through that hassle of submitting a certified letter, etc.

If you are being billed through Visa/Mastercard, all you have to do is dispute the charge. A copy of the email is usually more than sufficient.

Visa/MC are very quick to side with the customer in online billing disputes. It is very rare that a hosting company will win, even with their disclaimers and rules. If you are paying with Amex, then it is a bit tougher, and the certified-notary route is a good course of action.

The hosting company, or any company for that matter, hates chargebacks. It is like having a bounced check on their record. They cannot hold your domain hostage as long as you still are the admin or tech contact.
    Top Hat Domains
    Internet Services for Less. Period.
    Peoria, Arizona
    http://www.tophatdomains.com

Well, I had two accounts with ***** and cancelled both. I didn't have any problems cancelling, in fact they acted quite honestly. My complains were their mistakes and reliability. They didn't even bill me for a 6 month period, then got it screwed up for another 3 months on one account. The second account they were never able to get my name servers setup for two months, they didn't bill me at all. Given this I was pretty lucky I guess, the mistakes could have been against me.

Originally posted by wajones
    Well, I had two accounts with ***** and cancelled both. I didn't have any problems cancelling, in fact they acted quite honestly. My complains were their mistakes and reliability. They didn't even bill me for a 6 month period, then got it screwed up for another 3 months on one account. The second account they were never able to get my name servers setup for two months, they didn't bill me at all. Given this I was pretty lucky I guess, the mistakes could have been against me.
    WAJONES, there are some more unfortunate people with *****. You may be ones without problems cancelling but I have a online buddy who went through a great hassle trying to terminate service with them.

Originally posted by Synergy
    WAJONES, there are some more unfortunate people with *****. You may be ones without problems cancelling but I have a online buddy who went through a great hassle trying to terminate service with them.
    I hear you, I won't recommend them to anyone. Their own employees are embarrased by them. They were at one time a fairly good company. They out grew their ability I guess, they have thousands of users and only a handfull of tech support people and their billing department is even worse.

They were NEVER a good company -- I was with them 2 1/2 years ago, and had the same service and reliability problems people are still reporting to this day. They just bought their high ratings on many of the host-ranking sites, which so many of us believed ranked sites honestly by quality of service...
    Deb Suran
    Musical Instrument Makers Forum - http://www.mimf.com

Arrow Case Closed?

Subject: YOUR ACCOUNT IS CANCELED

"Your E-Business Solution."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    YOUR ACCOUNT CANCELLATION IS COMPLETE
    ------------------------------------------------------

Domain: xxxx***********

Additional Comments: Your account has been canceled.

SPECIAL OFFER: Should you ever want to return to ***** and host additional domains, we will waive all setup fees on new added domains for you.
    Thanks for all your help everyone... I didn't fax in anything and nothing has been billed to my credit card so let's see what happens..

Oh, and I don't think I'll take advantage of their 'special' offer.

Originally posted by WeinBar
    If you are being billed through Visa/Mastercard, all you have to do is dispute the charge. A copy of the email is usually more than sufficient.
    I strongly recommend against doing this unless you have tried all other avenues and must do it as a last resort. The reason is that if you do dispute the charge, ***** will be able to then take that charge dispute to a collection agency. They'll be able to go after you for the amount of the charge, the $25-odd charge-back fee they get zonked by MC/Visa, plus the costs of collections.

And if you don't pay it, it very well could end up as a negative entry on your credit report. And anyone who's ever had a negative entry on their credit report knows it's nearly impossible to remove it.

Keep in mind - a simple copy of an e-mail is enough to sway Visa/MC, but it is typically not enough to sway a collection agency. A copy of a certified, notarized letter, on the other hand, is indesputable, even for a collection agency, and even for the credit bureaus.

Trust me on this. Yes, you can go the easy way, but it's risky. You're a lot better spending the hour to do it the hard way just to cover your own ass.

Good luck,

Jason
    Jason Ellis
    All Star Internet Solutions
    Economy-priced nation-wide dial-up Internet access
    http://www.allstarisp.com/

Exclamation

Swamper,

I highly advise keeping a very close eye on your CC bills and whatever documentation you get from *****. They are known to have continually billed credit cards even after sending out a cancellation notice.
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

***** is the worst company ever.
    I was with them 3 months.
    I was in the process of making a site at that time so and i never hosted it with them.
    I had problems with everything. Nothing worked and they NEVER replies my emails.
    If i got a reply it was a standard copy and paste thing.
    They never answered my question.
    I went totally nuts.
    Then i tried to cancel and i couldnt.
    I had to pay and send a fax.
    What a bull****.
    Again i went nuts and i sent them tons of mails.
    I threatened to sue them and send mail bombs.
    In the last 3 weeks of those 3 months i must have sent 40 mails or more.
    Those people are nuts.
    Finally after my last and really terrible mail they cancelled my account.
    They only way to get something done by those people is being very rude and threaten.
    It sucks but thats the only way to reach them.
    Morons

battuss

[Edited by battuss on 12-19-2000 at 06:52 PM]