Thread: Hosting advice

Question Hosting advice

Hello there,

I am new to all this but i hope someone can advise me. I have read some of the posts and you all seem to know so much! This is my first post and i'm a bit of a techno doofus - so please bear with me!

I have set up a website using [not sure if i can use their name here ] as a host but i am pretty disappointed with the speed of customer services not to mention the difficulty i have had in using the web builder packages.

The thing is - this site is for a voluntary organisation - all the members are pretty old and dont really know how to turn on a pc - never mind put up sites! I felt sorry for them as i knew it needed doing and i offered to do it for them. My web knowlege is very very limited and thats why i like web builder packages.

The thing is - it is due to expire soon (in about 2 months) and the organization is struggling a bit. We have our own domain name but can anyone recommend a free/ v. cheap hosting site that gives you web building packages?

Its not used a great deal and has had just 280 hits in 10 months.

It doesnt involve downloads - just a bit of text, a few photo's and a message board.

Hope someone can help with some advice soon! Thanks - Louise.

OOooh - and how do i submit it to search engines? Is that difficult or does it rely on the site having millions of hits in the first place?

Thanks!

Submitting to search engines doesn't guarantee you are going to have hits. Exactly what are you looking for? I have read your post two times and still don't understand. Granted, it is early in the morning and I haven't had my caffeine intake yet Maybe you could clarify for me

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, I am looking for a web hosting site that is dirt cheap (less than £30 per year if possible) and 'no frills'. It must have web-building tools (templates) and be suitable for a beginner to use.

I was also curious about submitting sites to a search engine so that when people typed in a related word to my site on a search engine - the site would be listed.

The hosting site i am using is hard to use and quite costly for our needs. Contacting customer services sometimes takes a week via e-mail.

Hope you can advise on cheap hosting packages - ones i have looked at cost far too much but then offer far more services than we will ever need.

Cheers!

Search engines usually do not work that well IMO unless you have an extremely rare keyword(s). Most people do not want to go through 15 pages of search results to find your site.

I suggest you submit a HostQuote or look in offers. You will more than likely find what you need. I do not know if you are looking for a British host, but there are probably some in there Good luck!!!

Hi Grimseeker,

You should be able to locate a host which provides template packages without a problem, its becoming quite normal for hosting providers to offer these types of services.

Why not locate a few host's which you feel comfortable with and which meet your hosting criteria, then e-mail them and ask them if they provide template based packages if its not clearly written on the website already.

With regards to search engines, this is not too difficult either, as long as your website is optimised well you can usually start receiving results anywhere from 1 month to 6 months.

Keep us posted on how things turn on out
    Tahir Ahmed
    NetspaceOnline.net - Reliable Personal Web Site Hosting & Business Web Hosting Solutions!
    NSDomains.net - Our Dedicated Domain Registration & Management Portal!
    • Reseller Hosting Solutions • Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel • Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001

If you want to be listed and get good results in the search engines, gather lots of links to your site. Submitting is virtually worthless.

I'm not a fan of web builders so I will suggest using a tool like NVU.com and learning a bit of HTML. It's really not that hard.

Thanks for the advice!

I will put the search engine at the bottom of my priority list and work at swapping links.

As for web builders - they seem like the lazy option! I dont have a lot of free time with uni, kids and a job but i will def try to learn some HTML.

I look forward to trying it out!

On another note - has anyone had experience with freewebs.com?

Hi Grimseeker,

Sorry haven’t used freewebs.com before; you could try and also take a look at nexuswebs.com.

And to help with your link building and search engine promotion take a look at internet business promoter 8.0 if your new to internet marketing this should help you a little.
    Tahir Ahmed
    NetspaceOnline.net - Reliable Personal Web Site Hosting & Business Web Hosting Solutions!
    NSDomains.net - Our Dedicated Domain Registration & Management Portal!
    • Reseller Hosting Solutions • Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel • Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001

You shouldn't submit to search engines, period. Instead make sure you get some sites to link to yours, preferrably well-established sites with themes close to yours. Your site will be listed within a few days.
    Re. building pages I agree with Dan.
    Re. finding a web host I suggest you look around for hosts with good customer feedback and pick among those. Beware of the rotten apples.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Also, www.freewht.com is the same kind of board as this, but discusses free providers. Perhaps you can find something there.
    Andrew Dresser
    Computer Surge
    http://www.computersurge.com

Excuse me, but define "old".

Talking

Thanks for all your replies - i will check everything out that you have suggested!

And ArtieFishill, i am sorry if my comment offended you.

Age is difficult to define because it depends on the age of the person doing the defining! I'm not quite 30 but to a teen i may be considered old. However, the age of the people i was talking about are 60+ - to me thats old! lol

Cheers

free host wastes your time

Hi,
    I was using free host while I wrote my first codes.
    Free host usually limits your file size and type, usually gives slow and limited bandwidth and of course plenty of ads here and there.
    You could find a decent shared host with just $4-$5/m.
    Good luck !
    PS: I was using freewebs.com. It was fine but unfortunately my site was hacked and I lost it.