Thread: HTTP Proxy

HTTP Proxy

I'd like to run a HTTP proxy on my server, however, I'm wondering what software I should be running. I'm not that familiar with this proxy software. I'm running Red Hat 9 w/Cpanel and I'm wondering of any good proxy software to run on my server. And for those of you that might be confused about my wording, I don't want my server to connect to a proxy, I want it to be a proxy server.
    Michael

squid
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Thanks, looks good, now I'm just wondering of any performance related issues this may have, anything you guys know about? This won't be public, just maybe a few people using it tops.
    Michael

This may have a small performance increase. When somebody goes to a web page, the proxy may cache it, and if you request the same page it will serve it from the cache, which would be faster than requesting it from the actual server. You mentioned that this is going to be for a small group of people though, so unless you all surf the same websites this probably wont give you a big performance boost.

Now of course it is going to take longer to load stuff if the proxy’s connection was slower than the user’s connection.

I'm refering to the effect it will have on my server. Will it affect anything else I run on it like my web server, etc.?
    Michael

It should have very little effect on the system load, and shouldn’t interfere with any other components of the system.

I'm installing Squid now, hopefully everything will go well. Thanks for the help guys.
    Michael

A minimal install will take about 20-30MB of RAM and some disk space (no CPU to speak of). It shouldn't have an impact on any decent-sized system.

Squid makes a great httpd accelerator, too.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

I installed it, however, the configuration file was a big discouraging...lol. I'm getting a new server within the next month so I'm not going to bother setting this up right now. But the install did go very well.
    Michael

20-30MB or RAM? I doubt that it would take up anywhere near that much of memory.