Thread: Programmers

Smile Programmers

Hi all. For all the programmers here how much do you charge for freelance programming? By the hour? Do you have a contract? I'm trying to get a feel for how much I should charge for some possible projects. Thanks in advance.

$20-35/hr. Contracts are usually created for anything larger than a form-mail script.

I personally charge a predefined price per project, unless it involves modifying/updating other code -- its by the hour in that case.
    C#/C++/TCL/Python/PHP developer.
    mark at mark org il

$75 - 100/hr Some type of contract in EVERY case.

Then again, this is usually SQL, ASP, or PHP devel for corporate customers I already have, hence the rate.
    "Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. "
    -- Dennis Miller

I charge between $65 - $100 an hour for custom perl code. It all depends on the job and the frequency of work from a particular client. I also have a couple of clients that I quote per project up front. I generally make contracts for new clients or larger jobs.

Regards,
    Charlie

Thanks for your responses.

To be fair, I should point out that a friend of mine is an excellent developer (light years ahead of me), and he charges $40 - $75 per hour but only takes longer term projects.

The type of project, duration, and type of client are truly huge variables in determining the rate.
    -- Dennis Miller

That's what I was thinking. I figure that the longer/bigger the project, the lower the rate and the smaller the project, the higher the rate. To a point of course. Thanks.

I am wondering that too. I am developing a fully content management application, which is taking almost 6 months so far, and it’s not even 30% done. I told him I would charge 30 an hour since it’s a large project and I will make good money on it. I guess I would have to agree with the others that if it’s a small easy one day project charge $75-$100 an hour else you would have to come up with a total for the project ahead of time, or an hourly charge.

Good luck
    John Trovato
    In Office Networks, LLC
    Programmer, Cisco Network Engineer, Roofer, Biochemist, and Conductor.

I also think it depends on what type of project you are doing. I generally get between 125-150 per hour as a standard rate and higher if I am acting as a project manager.

This totally depends on kind of work you got. If I am asked for a complex program, it would be $40-$80 per hour, if its simple it would be $10-$30 and can get for free if its too simple..
    Get help with your server optimization - A forum on server optimization...
    ExoPHPDesk - Powerful PHP HelpDesk

I charge a different price for every project, it allows for the client to get the best price for what you're doing.

You'll have to judge it yourself.

[Edited for stupidness. ]
    Last edited by Threenet; 12-15-2002 at 12:36 AM.

Re: Programmers

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! You may want to check the rules regarding soliciting in these forums.

Originally posted by (-_-)
    I'm trying to get a feel for how much I should charge for some possible projects.
    AND he isn't looking for your services. He provides services.

Sheesh!

-- Dennis Miller

Oh whoops, I misread the post.

It's late, gimme a break.