Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ichiban, thanks I am going to do that. Just to confirm... my DVI will be able to fit into this thing? http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-D.../dp/B0017K6BD2 that cord looks super short... 8 inches or something... how come it's so short?

It's hard to tell from pictures...

EDIT: I just ordered it and rushed it for one day shipping
    Last edited by Frosty; 04-30-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Yep, assuming the pic you posted earlier is the cable in question and that shot was of the end going to the PC.

Super, I should receive it this Friday

Thanks for the help, if I hadn't posted here... I would have sent this PC back for exchange and then been really depressed with that restocking fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Why would a PC have both a DVI and displayport?
    To make life easier for folks like us who don't want to replace old monitors? I have a desktop with both DVI and HDMI but that's about 5 or 6 years old now. I'm surprised to see it on something current though. (If you're seeing it in stock I guess they just don't want to sell to Australia!).

that cord looks super short... 8 inches or something... how come it's so short?
    That one is short - looks like it's intended just as a converter and you'd need to use a DVI-DVI cable with it (which you already have, right?)

Edit: FWIW I'm using the converter on a laptop with older Intel HD graphics. I think the HD4600 should work the same.
    Last edited by foobic; 04-30-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Great! Glad to be the helper around here for once vs my usual role as helpee.

Ya, I already have a DVI to DVI cable. Thanks so much for everyone's help... very much appreciated it!

I can't wait to get that thing I just ordered on Amazon by this Friday... in the interim, I'm going to fire up my PC with an analog cord and transfer all my data, install softwares... this will take a while hehe. My old PC only had 1 gig ram. I cannot wait to see what it's like to be on a PC with 8 gigs and better processor.

Someone just wrote the following review on newwegg about this computer:

======
    "Cons: HD graphics but the only video port is vga.
    Why doesn't it have an HDMI port?"
    ======

.... how come this person is complaining about it having only VGA since this computer also has a displayport? Sorry I googled this but still confused... it appears HDMI port is ONLY used if you want to hook up your computer to a TV LCD? As the computer monitor always uses DVI, not HDMI?? I'm confused about his review. I really hope I don't regret keeping this computer because it would almost be worth getting hit with a restocking fee since this is a computer I'm going to own for several yrs and don't want to regret not switching it to a PC I know has everything. I will NEVER be hooking my PC up to a TV LCD, in that case, HDMI is useless for me?

I do make youtube videos (at least I will be)... does that mean I will NEED an HDMI port to load the video from camcorder into my computer? This is super important since I will be making a ton ofvideos on a project for youtube.
    Last edited by Frosty; 05-01-2014 at 08:53 AM.

He's probably unaware of the DisplayPort or simply equates lack of HDMI with lack of digital output. You could always contact Dell to confirm that the unit supports digital video, but you should be able to confirm that yourself tomorrow. Either way,still plenty of time to return the PC if it doesn't meet expectations.

Thanks I see, I will find out tomorrow for sure. Don't camcorders mostly use HDMI (not DVI)? Because I'm going to be making a lot of videos... if the camcorder uses HDMI what am I going to do? Can I still download the video from camcorder to my computer using the displayport? I thought the displayport on this PC is for DVI not HDMI?

Sorry for being so confused, really appreciate your help

HDMI was introduced mainly for media / TV etc. but many PC manufacturers have picked up on it. DisplayPort was specifically for computers. But HDTV and high-res monitors are actually not that different. In practice, either DP or HDMI should do what you want (run a single DVI monitor at modest resolution), and you could also connect to a TV, eg. to play your videos.

To connect the (digital) camcorder you'll most likely use USB.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    DVI is an old standard - I doubt you'll find any current computers supporting it directly.
    Not sure where you got the "it's an old standard, so won't be supported directly" from? Both ATI and GeForce (the two major video card players) support both DVI and HDMI together right now.

DVI has been out there for a few years, but that doesn't really mean it's "going away", not by a long shot

I just did the stupidest thing I have done in a long time. I hooked up my brand new computer to start the initial setup process but somehow "accidentally" selected for it to be in French language rather than English. Correction: I DID select ENGLISH but somehow it got stuck on French and wouldn't let me know back to correct it. On top of that, I couldn't get to the desktop at all because it kept saying "wrong password". I didn't even create a password!!

Dell is overnighting me a recovery CD so I can reformat the computer. Either I am having a really bad day or just very unlucky in general to have something this stupid happen.

In summary, my brand new computer is now in French (I don't even speak French) AND I got completely locked out from using computer due to mystery password that I NEVER even created. LOL, seriously? ... and when I called Dell they argued with me saying this computer was bought 23 days ago. I bought it a couple days ago on 4/28, not 23 days ago! Starting to feel like I'm from another planet or this computer is just cursed!
    Last edited by Frosty; 05-01-2014 at 05:18 PM.

In summary, my brand new computer is now in French (I don't even speak French) AND I got completely locked out from using computer due to mystery password that I NEVER even created. LOL, seriously? ... and when I called Dell they argued with me saying this computer was bought 23 days ago. I bought it a couple days ago on 4/28, not 23 days ago! Starting to feel like I'm from another planet or this computer is just cursed!
    If I were to take a guess even though I could obviously be wrong. If they say 23 days ago and there is a password on there. It could be a return pc that never got properly reformatted and got tossed straight back to be sold.
    Could be the doing of Dell or Newegg. Not that it makes much of a difference as long as you can reformat it with the disk they are sending. If you speak to them again I would mention that.

Did you buy this from Newegg or Dell? Sounds like you are having so many problems with this computer. If I buy Dell I go directly through them and get awesome customer service. You have had more problems with this computer than I have seen in my life.
    HostClearly.com
    HostClearly Web Hosting
    #WeAreYourBussinessPartner
    Shared, Reseller, and VPS Hosting since 2010!

Oh my god, if newegg sent me a USED computer I am going to be livid. I didn't pay this much money for a PC that was shipped to somebody else and then shipped back! I have to call dell again and ask them when the computer was sold. I bought it exactly on 4/28. If they again tell me 23 days ago... I am sending this back and speaking to supervisor at newegg. Will not be paying restocking fee.

When I turned computer on to start the initial setup process the very FIRST box asked me what language I want the PC to be under. In the SECOND box, I immediately tried to go backwards when I saw it gave me FRENCH instead of ENGLISH but it wouldn't let me. Dell told me to continue setup and type random text into the fields to get to the desktop, but then I couldn't get to desktop because it kept saying wrong password. I then saw I could switch to try to login another another "user" it still said wrong password. Could NOT get to desktop on computer supposedly brand new!

How on earth could I have created password when everything was in FRENCH and I was entering random text into the fields just so I could get to the desktop? I didn't even understand what the fields said because I can't read nor speak FRENCH! When a password is created you must CONFIRM and re-enter the password so that it was typed TWICE, correct? If so, then this alone is 100% proof computer is used. I was just typing RANDOM stuff and never typed the exact same random text into any field TWICE.

I've been through so many computers and usually getting new computer is FUN, I never had this problem in my life.
    Last edited by Frosty; 05-02-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Just spoke to dell again. The supervisor said the computer was sold on April 7th (which is about 23 something days ago), but that simply means it was sold to newegg on that date. Newegg purchased 48 of these PCs in this model from dell on 4/7. Newegg then sold one of the PCs to me on 4/28.... so that clears that up.

Dell supervisor told me that it is super unlikely I received a used PC during that short window and that more than likely newegg did some "testing" on it or whatnot before I bought it. Do you agree with this theory?? He did however agree with me that is is incredibly strange how the PC got 2 passwords created not allowing me to get to the desktop after initial setup. I don't understand how this (password issue) could have happened? I will be able to restore this PC to factory setting today (once restore CD arrives) and then use it (I want to keep it), but now I am almost afraid to keep it!

Would you keep it??? I'm confident I can return it with no restocking fee because I will raise hell, but I urgently need computer so it looks like I'll be keeping it... I think....
    Last edited by Frosty; 05-02-2014 at 09:40 AM.

You are NOT going to believe this!!! I was on the phone with dell and we successfully restored computer back to factory condition so I thought all would be fine & well... but then we found out the hard drive in this computer is faulty/defective!! The hard drive started making a ton of clicking sounds.

I placed my phone next to tower so the supervisor at dell could hear the clicking and confirmed the hard drive in the PC I was sent from newegg has a faulty drive.

I am 100% shipping this POS back to newegg for a REFUND!!!!! I have been having a lot of bad luck lately, but this is just too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12