Page 1 of 87 12341151 ... LastLast

BurstNet [now DigiPlus] Relocation

Just got this email:

Over the years the cost for electric has consistently gone up, as well as many other expenses surrounding the COLO business. We, up until now, have been absorbing the cost spikes. Also, BurstNET is one of the only providers that does not require a 36 month contract and does not charge the average $399.00 set up fees.

Effective with your next billing cycle, New BurstNET COLO pricing, which includes monthly power, will be as follows:

Full Rack $899/month
    Half Rack $499/month
    Quarter Rack $299/month
    Single Server $99/month
    Due to our prior and estimated growth, we are heavily investing in the business. Your COLO racks/Servers have been selected to be relocated. We are upgrading our COLO facility to the following:

Our Tier 3 Data Center in North Carolina
    More Redundant Network with 3X the carriers currently provided
    Double the bandwidth capacity
    Type II audited facility
    These changes will go into effect on your next billing cycle and your servers will be moved on Sunday March 30th 2014. You will receive another update with service downtime to accommodate the move. Assume your servers will be offline from 9PM ET Sunday March 30th until Monday March 31st 9AM ET.

If you have any questions, please contact Keith Vannan directly at 570-955-1993 x1538 or via email at keith.vannan@burst.net. Thank you.

-------------------

Does anybody else besides me think this is absurd? 10 days notice that they will be moving RACKS of servers over 600 miles to a datacenter they gave no information about, past or present?
    Last edited by Postbox; 03-28-2014 at 10:08 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I hope this is a joke. because if its not ( plus their dallas incident ) i am finding another provider.
      0 Not allowed!

Time to make sure you have a good backup of everything before the move it!
      0 Not allowed!

Not even going to allow them to move my equipment, going to fly there and grab em myself if said email is true.
      0 Not allowed!

BurstNet Colocation Notice

Did anyone else just receive this? Trying to determine if it's legitimate or not. There's no way in hell I'm moving my servers to North Carolina and paying twice as much.

Dear Christopher Hacken (Beyond Metrics LLC),

Over the years the cost for electric has consistently gone up, as well as many other expenses surrounding the COLO business. We, up until now, have been absorbing the cost spikes. Also, BurstNET is one of the only providers that does not require a 36 month contract and does not charge the average $399.00 set up fees.

Effective with your next billing cycle, New BurstNET COLO pricing, which includes monthly power, will be as follows:

Full Rack $899/month
    Half Rack $499/month
    Quarter Rack $299/month
    Single Server $99/month
    Due to our prior and estimated growth, we are heavily investing in the business. Your COLO racks/Servers have been selected to be relocated. We are upgrading our COLO facility to the following:

Our Tier 3 Data Center in North Carolina
    More Redundant Network with 3X the carriers currently provided
    Double the bandwidth capacity
    Type II audited facility
    These changes will go into effect on your next billing cycle and your servers will be moved on Sunday March 30th 2014. You will receive another update with service downtime to accommodate the move. Assume your servers will be offline from 9PM ET Sunday March 30th until Monday March 31st 9AM ET.

If you have any questions, please contact Keith Vannan directly at 570-955-1993 x1538 or via email at keith.vannan@burst.net. Thank you.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm at a complete loss for words....

Okay, maybe not. I racked the first server in their Dunmore location with the assistance of Benji (Shawn's brother). He gave me a full tour of the facility and it was very nice. There was a lot of time and money put into this place. He expressed their plans to become a large colocation provider for the health industry with their location and SAS certifications they were working on.

The first week or two was a bit spotty. There was port speed issues and the server went down for some time due to some routing issues when they were sending traffic through Scranton to the new Dunmore facility. These issues were eventually resolved and the network was relatively solid.

Eventually we had decided we wanted to run an outgoing mailserver on our colocated unit. It turned out that just about every IP address in their allocation was blocked by Yahoo Mail with no chances of getting it delisted. I worked with Guy H. for a while to try and resolve it, during which time he supplied me with multiple different IP blocks, all of which were completely blacklisted by Yahoo. This ended up going nowhere and we had to move our mailserver elsewhere.

After these issues, we started using the server just for file backups and some ping monitoring purposes. We found that the network was so lossy that it was unsuitable for our monitoring needs. For the last 6+ months the server has been simply storing backups, which it has done a fine job with.

We've paid our $69.95/month for about a year now, always on time. I have been following all of the position changes in the management over there and I knew that things were likely going rough. They had just invested a ton of money into this new facility, and they have been offering heavily discounted colocation prices these last few months. Now all of the sudden they decide to not only raise the prices because of an increase in monthly power costs (*cough*bullsh--*cough*), but also relocate a "majority" (read: all) of their equipment over 600 miles away? If this doesn't SCREAM trouble, I don't know what does.

And for those of you that had followed the whole BurstNET/VolumeDrive scandal, I have been to the new VolumeDrive facility and racked servers there. The network and support that I experienced exceeded BurstNET by miles. BurstNET was so quick to openly bash VolumeDrive for their actions, then turn around and pull stuff that's arguably just as bad.

I will not be having my colocated hardware moved over 600 miles away from me. I will also not be paying an increase because of "monthly power increases". Sorry BurstNet, but you just took a huge step backwards. This marks the beginning of the end.
    Last edited by MacSto; 03-20-2014 at 01:02 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Not a joke at all. I mean they didn't even give me any details of this "new datacenter", besides some BS info. They didn't even list the damn network providers. Im flying up to New York this week, so I guess ill be stoping by their offices.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lunanode View Post
    Not even going to allow them to move my equipment, going to fly there and grab em myself if said email is true.
    That makes two of us. Except in my case, I'll be driving there.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MacSto View Post
    I'm at a complete loss for words....
    Eventually we had decided we wanted to run an outgoing mailserver on our colocated unit. It turned out that just about every IP address in their allocation was blocked by Yahoo Mail with no chances of getting it delisted. I worked with Guy H. for a while to try and resolve it, during which time he supplied me with multiple different IP blocks, all of which were completely blacklisted by Yahoo. This ended up going nowhere and we had to move our mailserver elsewhere.

We've paid our $69.95/month for about a year now, always on time. I have been following all of the position changes in the management over there and I knew that things were likely going rough. They had just invested a ton of money into this new facility, and they have been offering heavily discounted colocation prices these last few months. Now all of the sudden they decide to not only raise the prices because of an increase in monthly power costs (*cough*bullsh--*cough*), but also relocate a "majority" (read: all) of their equipment over 600 miles away? If this doesn't SCREAM trouble, I don't know what does.
    My email to Keith detailed that exact information on the whole discounted racks they were GIVING out at only $400/month. I mean thats pretty much just giving away racks at that price, and now I have to pay more to cover there bad marketing ideas?????

Oh and as for the Yahoo IP thing, I had the SAME exact problem. Lucky I found an IP block there that was good with no blacklist....If you were staying with them, I would be happy to give you the IP block in a PM. It took me months to find it, but now I make sure they give me one every time.
      0 Not allowed!

This is very alarming, and I am not even a customer of Burst. I am very surprised they would make this big of a change with no prior warning, and with such a small window of notice. It does look legit, but I hope for their customers it isn't.
      0 Not allowed!

And of course I just paid my bill for this upcoming month about a week ago too. Looks like I might be moving back down to Quonix in Philly.
      0 Not allowed!

I guess they are realizing being one of the cheapest on the (really crappy hosting) market sucks.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Onra Host View Post
    My email to Keith detailed that exact information on the whole discounted racks they were GIVING out at only $400/month. I mean thats pretty much just giving away racks at that price, and now I have to pay more to cover there bad marketing ideas?????

Oh and as for the Yahoo IP thing, I had the SAME exact problem. Lucky I found an IP block there that was good with no blacklist....If you were staying with them, I would be happy to give you the IP block in a PM. It took me months to find it, but now I make sure they give me one every time.
    I seriously appreciate the offer, but there will be no need. At this point I'm done with BurstNET, as I'm confident many others are. I will not run something as critical as a mailserver on their network when it could move hundreds of miles within days notice. Not even as a secondary backup.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MacSto View Post
    I seriously appreciate the offer, but there will be no need. At this point I'm done with BurstNET, as I'm confident many others are. I will not run something as critical as a mailserver on their network when it could move hundreds of miles within days notice. Not even as a secondary backup.
    Notice how I said If you were haha.

But I totally agree with you. I will be moving most of my servers from there. Theres a few servers I have way to many IP's on with different clients, and have to come up with a way to move the clients off...if there is a way without to much hassle. Anybody have any ideas? lol
      0 Not allowed!

Posted this in the main web hosting section already. But yea it looks real. Already emailed them.....not to happy about this at all.
      0 Not allowed!

Just received the email as well. The whole reason for burst was because they're local. North Carolina ain't happening!
      0 Not allowed!

They definitely speak the truth when they talk about the rising electric costs in the north east

I wonder if they are just moving colo clients to the North Carolina facility or will dedicated server/VPS services move as well? Didn't they just open the new datacenter in PA ~ 1 year ago?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post
    This is very alarming
    So was the sale they were doing a few months ago "Full Rack, 20A Power, 10Mbps Bandwidth - ONLY $300.00/MONTH!!!"
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    I guess they are realizing being one of the cheapest on the (really crappy hosting) market sucks.
    Given Burst's track record on this are you surprised? I see a constant pattern of up-shifting and last minute datacenter migrations with little warning to clients. These practices give a bad name to our industry.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Given Burst's track record on this are you surprised? I see a constant pattern of up-shifting and last minute datacenter migrations with little warning to clients. These practices give a bad name to our industry.
    Given all of the money they poured into the new DC, I'm beyond surprised. I'm going to assume they either sold the company or ... that's all that comes to mind.
      0 Not allowed!

I received the same notification from them; Mind you I pulled all my equipment long ago. I find it so amusing that just recently they are promoting their new facility in PA and pushing out promos like 'Full Rack / 20A / 10Mbps @ $300/month' and 2-3 months later inform everyone that they are being moved from said facility and will have to pay 3x the price ?

What a sham of a company.
      0 Not allowed!

You have to wonder what is to become of their new 'state of the art' DC in PA though ? , can they no longer afford the lease / sold the company *shrugs*
      0 Not allowed!

They opened their new facility March 2013. My guess is their 1 year lease is up, and they found something cheaper in NC.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tcalp View Post
    I received the same notification from them; Mind you I pulled all my equipment long ago. I find it so amusing that just recently they are promoting their new facility in PA and pushing out promos like 'Full Rack / 20A / 10Mbps @ $300/month' and 2-3 months later inform everyone that they are being moved from said facility and will have to pay 3x the price ?

What a sham of a company.
    We come back to the old "month to month" contract business if anyone has a 12 month contract on a rack and they attempted to increase the price 3 months into the contract then you'll be able to scream scam, sham, whatever else but typical WHT style clients only opt for month to month. You can't expect a provider to shift from one facility to another and there not be any price increase. We've seen Incero do this now Burst (again) the budget market is rapidly coming to an end with the increasing power costs that also includes other parts of the electrical systems like maintenance contracts, UPS batterys, etc
      0 Not allowed!

Don't they offer term based contracts to their clients?

The small guys may see contracts just as a method to lock you in. But the rest of us all know otherwise, reasonable contracts buy you stability that should prevent incidents like this.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 87 12341151 ... LastLast