Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by zoid View Post
    24/7 does not mean five minutes, no one expects that, but it does mean within a reasonable timeframe and 12 hours are not reasonable.
    Correct, But in theory as long as one gets a response within 24 hours within 7 days within the next 365 days then yes you are providing 24/7/365 support.

Response times and opening times are completely different subjects and requirements.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Correct, But in theory as long as one gets a response within 24 hours within 7 days within the next 365 days then yes you are providing 24/7/365 support.
    I dont know what you mean. 24/7 means that someone is all the time on duty and based on that you can expect a timely response.

Response times and opening times are completely different subjects and requirements.
    Guaranteed response times, yes. Opening times, no. This is exactly what 24/7 refers to.

24/7 means that someone is all the time on duty and based on that you can expect a timely response.
    As long as the response is within them 24 hours then the term "24/7" is being met for quicker response an SLA will need to be present which outlines the response times.

There's countless providers who have 24/7 support but provide 6 - 12 hour response times, Only because someone is present doesn't mean you'll get a timely response under the "24/7" term without an SLA "24/7" could mean one reply per 24 hours
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

As long as the response is within them 24 hours then the term "24/7" is being met
    No, you can have 24/7 support and never respond. The response time is not related to the support hours.

There's countless providers who have 24/7 support but provide 6 - 12 hour response times
    Yes, the usual lousy customer service.

Only because someone is present doesn't mean you'll get a timely response under the "24/7" term without an SLA "24/7" could mean one reply per 24 hours
    Well, if someone is present you can expect him to do his work, cant you.

No, you can have 24/7 support and never respond. The response time is not related to the support hours.
    Exactly. To me, 24/7 support means that someone is physically on-the-clock (or, at minimum, instantly notified to come on-the-clock) if a support situation warrants it. I see this more related to emergency support--i.e. if a site or server is down, someone is available immediately to respond to it.

A 24/7 support moniker doesn't mean immediate support responses in every situation (at least to me). If there are a lot of tickets, or if a support request needs a specialized staff member to respond, or if normal (non-emergency) requests are handled during normal business operating hours, then I would certainly understand a wait for a response to a non-critical query.

Bottom line? Support response times are completely separate from the availability of the company to provide support at a given hour.

Richard
    Richard C. Hay - Celebration, Florida
    Web Application Development, Graphic Design & Organization Management Services

I think everyone is missing the point here...although the OP said 24/7/365, the OP also referred to "INSTANT ACTIVATION" which it clearly wasn't. Let's deal with the issues:-

24/7/365 - this is a term used mainly dealing with Support requests and actually being able to contact your host / provider at any given time or date. This translates to as well, if you were to send an email to your provider at 1 am Christmas Morning, it will not be rejected due to they are closed. It will be accepted into their system and they will respond to it once time permits. Many factors could hinder responding to those requests however your response will never-the-less be handled / responded to once available. Many people confuse this with Guaranteed Response times of which I will deal with below. This is only considered misleading if you try to send in your requests and the system rejects you using all valid avenues of contact.

Guaranteed Response Times - this is where the meat is and what a lot of clients get confused with. Your AVAILABLE time and your RESPONSE times are different and should be noted. Just because a provider is available 24/7/365 does not mean they will respond to you within 5, 10 , 20, 60 minutes. Once you see a provider advertising Guaranteed Response Times, its only then you could take into consideration the length of time it takes for them to respond to your request. If they have a guaranteed response time of 1 hour and you are going into 1 hour and 1 minute then their advertising is misleading and can be considered as that. If you do not notice a guaranteed response time on their website, then you would have to wait until someone is "available" to handle your request since it would have obviously been received as stipulated by their 24/7/365 citing.

Instant Activation - this is where I think the OP was misled with. Instant activation is very clear. If you submit your request at 1 am Christmas Morning, you will receive your purchased goods or services Instantly / without delay. Please take my wording into consideration because you may have submitted your request to the system at 1 am Christmas Morning, however it may have been rejected by their automatic fraud detection software which means your order would not have been able to be processed and thus no purchase was made. In other words, no transation carried out thus no instant activation to be done.
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

Quote Originally Posted by cpoalmighty View Post
    24/7/365 - this is a term used mainly dealing with Support requests and actually being able to contact your host / provider at any given time or date. This translates to as well, if you were to send an email to your provider at 1 am Christmas Morning, it will not be rejected due to they are closed. It will be accepted into their system and they will respond to it once time permits.
    I am afraid, it does not.

That a message is not rejected goes without saying and does not need further explanation or advertisement. 24/7 refers to having staff on duty around-the-clock, which will respond in timely fashion.

Basically what was already said above.

I am afraid, it does not.

That a message is not rejected goes without saying and does not need further explanation or advertisement. 24/7 refers to having staff on duty around-the-clock, which will respond in timely fashion.

Basically what was already said above.
    Your response is very vague to say the least. Timely fashion is highly relative. Timely fashion to an impatient man / woman could mean an instant response whereas for a highly patient or passive client could mean within 12 hours. This is where the guaranteed response time comes in to clarify how long you are expected to wait before actually receiving a response to your request. These are basic law terms here. You never have a valid case in the courts if your hosts only advertises 24/7/365 availablity without displaying the response time guarantee. This is similar to the Money Back Guarantees as well. If you visit a site and it displays money back guarantee, you expect to receive your money back if you are not happy. However, there are stipulations in place for some guarantees to be valid ie notifying the provider before x days of cancellation, showing the product is defective when returning an item to a store ensuring you have your bill used to purchase said product etc etc. As I said, its basic legal understandings with any merchant - client relationship
    Last edited by hostultimo; 05-27-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Your response is very vague to say the least.
    I wouldnt see what is vague about it.

24/7 means someone (most probably in shifts more than one person) is on duty all around the clock. Nothing vague, a simple statement.

I think everyone is missing the point here...although the OP said 24/7/365, the OP also referred to "INSTANT ACTIVATION" which it clearly wasn't. Let's deal with the issues:-

24/7/365 - this is a term used mainly dealing with Support requests and actually being able to contact your host / provider at any given time or date. This translates to as well, if you were to send an email to your provider at 1 am Christmas Morning, it will not be rejected due to they are closed. It will be accepted into their system and they will respond to it once time permits. Many factors could hinder responding to those requests however your response will never-the-less be handled / responded to once available. Many people confuse this with Guaranteed Response times of which I will deal with below. This is only considered misleading if you try to send in your requests and the system rejects you using all valid avenues of contact.

Guaranteed Response Times - this is where the meat is and what a lot of clients get confused with. Your AVAILABLE time and your RESPONSE times are different and should be noted. Just because a provider is available 24/7/365 does not mean they will respond to you within 5, 10 , 20, 60 minutes. Once you see a provider advertising Guaranteed Response Times, its only then you could take into consideration the length of time it takes for them to respond to your request. If they have a guaranteed response time of 1 hour and you are going into 1 hour and 1 minute then their advertising is misleading and can be considered as that. If you do not notice a guaranteed response time on their website, then you would have to wait until someone is "available" to handle your request since it would have obviously been received as stipulated by their 24/7/365 citing.

Instant Activation - this is where I think the OP was misled with. Instant activation is very clear. If you submit your request at 1 am Christmas Morning, you will receive your purchased goods or services Instantly / without delay. Please take my wording into consideration because you may have submitted your request to the system at 1 am Christmas Morning, however it may have been rejected by their automatic fraud detection software which means your order would not have been able to be processed and thus no purchase was made. In other words, no transation carried out thus no instant activation to be done.
    cpoalmighty - your responses are very detailed and I would like to personally thank you taking the time to reply. so thank you for that.

Some very good feedback in this thread, glad I started the topic now, thanks to all.

Was having second thoughts about starting the thread as I am a very patient man, my clients say I'm too patient ha ha.

I think the company I ordered the licence from did activate it instantly as I installed cpanel regardless and then I validated my server ip on the cpanel website and it turns out it was active moments after I placed the order.

I have just had no communications from the company which is very odd, and a first for me in terms of ordering things from other companies.

I'm hoping I get a response tomorrow as others have said in this thread. (I kind of hope I get a response because I need some sort of invoice for banking purposes).

For those that have said along the lines of, support only work 24/7 - well, I tested that out so far I have submitted two emails to them both about different things and I still don't have a response. that was well over 24 hours ago (for those that say tickets are done in order). I cant even submit tickets as I don't have a welcome email yet containing my details. just sent a direct email to support@....

On average I tend to wait about 6 hours before I start to get twitchy, I believe if your claiming 24/7/365 support with multiple staff surly emails should be responded to within at least 12 hours, or are my standards just set to high?

If you have time off for what us Brits call "bank holidays" then surly you should state less that 365?

- the waiting continues I will update you all how I get on, as mentioned above I really hope I get some sort of reply, if nothing else some confirmation of what I have ordered would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    cpoalmighty - your responses are very detailed and I would like to personally thank you taking the time to reply. so thank you for that.

Some very good feedback in this thread, glad I started the topic now, thanks to all.

Was having second thoughts about starting the thread as I am a very patient man, my clients say I'm too patient ha ha.

I think the company I ordered the licence from did activate it instantly as I installed cpanel regardless and then I validated my server ip on the cpanel website and it turns out it was active moments after I placed the order.

I have just had no communications from the company which is very odd, and a first for me in terms of ordering things from other companies.

I'm hoping I get a response tomorrow as others have said in this thread. (I kind of hope I get a response because I need some sort of invoice for banking purposes).

For those that have said along the lines of, support only work 24/7 - well, I tested that out so far I have submitted two emails to them both about different things and I still don't have a response. that was well over 24 hours ago (for those that say tickets are done in order). I cant even submit tickets as I don't have a welcome email yet containing my details. just sent a direct email to support@....

On average I tend to wait about 6 hours before I start to get twitchy, I believe if your claiming 24/7/365 support with multiple staff surly emails should be responded to within at least 12 hours, or are my standards just set to high?

If you have time off for what us Brits call "bank holidays" then surly you should state less that 365?

- the waiting continues I will update you all how I get on, as mentioned above I really hope I get some sort of reply, if nothing else some confirmation of what I have ordered would be fine.
    You are welcome for the detailed response.

The issue now here is you stated its over 24 hours which could be a problem. Did you recieve a notifcation saying your ticket has been accepted into their system? The reason I asked is because some companies purposefully do not use support@companyname.com due to the issue of spam. Probably they have some random support email such as support15124s@companyname.com so they may have never received your email. Also, did you check your spam folder for a welcome email from them?

You are welcome for the detailed response.

The issue now here is you stated its over 24 hours which could be a problem. Did you recieve a notifcation saying your ticket has been accepted into their system? The reason I asked is because some companies purposefully do not use support@companyname.com due to the issue of spam. Probably they have some random support email such as support15124s@companyname.com so they may have never received your email. Also, did you check your spam folder for a welcome email from them?
    Yes - I use outlook with my ISP email address (not a free email address like hotmail,gmail - as I know places are starting to block those emails these days).

Yes nothing in junk I have even logged into the virginmedia website to check their webmail server to make sure nothing is sitting in there and that too is blank.

I thought that too about the support address but when you click
    "contact us"
    it says on their website
    "24 Hour Support Email: support@REMOVEDCOMAPNYNAME.com"
    If i don't hear anything tomorrow, I might contact them on here as I know they have an account on WHT. Might send them a PM tomorrow and point them to this thread, I'm a strong believer on not publicly bashing a company as everything can be resolved with just a bit of communication something must be a miss somewhere.

I'll see what happens tomorrow.

STILL NO REPLY! - to anything on any address, not even had my welcome email.

I thought I would try and sign onto their WHMCS page but its not letting me on with the password I chose. I went to recover password and entered my email and still not received my password reset link.

(thought I would try the above because I really need some form of receipt for banking purposes).

think its time to point them to this thread.

EDIT sent them a pm on WHT, lets hope something happens from here on in. failing that I can always call them however that is going to cost a fortune for me being in the UK. paid enough for the licence and addons - would have thought this would warrant some kind of support?
    Last edited by Flumps; 05-28-2013 at 03:30 PM.

STILL NO REPLY! - to anything on any address, not even had my welcome email.

I thought I would try and sign onto their WHMCS page but its not letting me on with the password I chose. I went to recover password and entered my email and still not received my password reset link.

(thought I would try the above because I really need some form of receipt for banking purposes).

think its time to point them to this thread.

EDIT sent them a pm on WHT, lets hope something happens from here on in. failing that I can always call them however that is going to cost a fortune for me being in the UK. paid enough for the licence and addons - would have thought this would warrant some kind of support?
    UPDATE: the company called me all has now be sorted it.

Turns out virginmedia was blocking emails. - i'll chase this up with them in the morning strange that first for me.

UPDATE: the company called me all has now be sorted it.

Turns out virginmedia was blocking emails. - i'll chase this up with them in the morning strange that first for me.
    Great news, ah Virgin have a issue with that. But then I had a BBM email with them.

For most companies i think there was limited staff available during the memorial weekend to solve things like this.

If your order isnt activated it may be seen as a sales question and not tech support.

I agree that they anyway could have given a reply that sales team or whatever would respond in normal working hours etc. but they can have been very busy if it was limited staff available.

Question..

Is advertising 24/7/365 on your website legal, when your clearly not as a business?

ordered a cpanel license from a well known company and so far I have waited 4.5 hours to get a welcome email let alone the license information.

I have even sent an email just to ask them if they can confirm if they have my order, and have not got a reply.

went with this company because of the good reviews,and because of their presence within the hosting market is very well known.

don't want to name bash, but getting fed up as I'm sure anyone running a business would feel, when your trying to prep servers for clients. (first time we have used this company for cpanel licenses).

surly a business that says license activation is "instant, 24/7/365" I would have thought I would have the details within the hour, it being "instant" and all.....

I'm guessing because it's an American company that they are out of hours being Friday 7.40 PM or possibly in bed early?

strange thing is it was within company time when the order was placed.

oh well I'll carry on waiting.
    If they said 'instant' 24/7/365 I would certainly be disappointed. If they didn't claim instant I wouldn't have any issue with a 4 hour wait on a license request. Sure I want it faster, but they could be busy with other things, and it's not an unreasonable length of time to wait, especially if they need to do a fraud check (such as because you're a new customer).
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12