Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site5 - oracle.site5.com | No Backups!

Site5 server: oracle.site5.com has crashed yesterday around 17:00.
    They can't restore the backup because it is said to be corrupted.
    We never did any local backups because the server has a backup drive.
    Anyhow.. the CPanel backup never could complete a backup.
    Now they offer us a 12 months credit. This is a joke.
    Would we prefer restoring our online businesses or take a
    12 months payment holiday?

Sincerly... something must be done by Site5 !!!!
    This IS NOT SERIOUS. !!!

"This IS NOT SERIOUS" -- what are you talking about?
    At any rate, backups being corrupted is a nasty situation but it does happen.

That's why frequent backup testing is always a good idea. But so is having duplicate backups, next time I'd recommend having them and ensuring they're duplicated in several locations.

I'd take the credit, it's a free year!

It may not be there fault. I had a backup corrupt on me to but it wasn't important.

But at least there trying to make it up to you instead of just acting like its not important

Something you should be aware of before signing up with *ANY* host. If your site is important to you, keep track of backups daily/weekly. Webhosts say they do backups daily, and then their TOS said they do not guarantee that the accuracy or whatever. So once they face the problem, you can't really argue with them hence the Terms of Service clearly stated, there's really nothing much you can do except to accept the free credits :O.

My luck I would happen to be a customer of Site5 hosted on the one machine on tihs earth that went down and could not be restored.

Shouldn't there be older backups? I'd be happy with that.

I am hosted on this server.
    In my opinion a serious Hosting Biz would do
    distant backups from times to times.
    If not, they would at least check the integrity from times to times or else... get out of the way!

My 2 cents.

Isn't site5 moving to the planet? slowly but surely? -- This may explain why they don't have any backups? (maybe) but they do have the 1 snapshot stuff... didn't that work or was that was is broken?

Quote Originally Posted by 5050 View Post
    I am hosted on this server.
    In my opinion a serious Hosting Biz would do
    distant backups from times to times.
    If not, they would at least check the integrity from times to times or else... get out of the way!

My 2 cents.
    Agreed - all of our backups are offsite, then replicated. Just seemed like common sense to us.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Agreed - all of our backups are offsite, then replicated. Just seemed like common sense to us.
    So are theirs. It is common sense.
    Things get corrupted from time to time though.

Such is life

A 12 month credit is pretty generous.
    During the time you had the server with them, did you ever check your backups and make sure they could be restored and were not corrupt?

Backups are more than flicking a switch and walking away. No one likes it but you need to check them, having a copy in 2 locations is always a good idea.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ramprage View Post
    A 12 month credit is pretty generous.
    During the time you had the server with them, did you ever check your backups and make sure they could be restored and were not corrupt?

Backups are more than flicking a switch and walking away. No one likes it but you need to check them, having a copy in 2 locations is always a good idea.
    With all my respect Mr Site5...
    A SERIOUS Hosting Co would ALWAYS provide AND do RSYNC OFFSITE BACKUPS. This is sadly and apparently not the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    So are theirs. It is common sense.
    Things get corrupted from time to time though.

Such is life
    This is what MD5 is for....

Though I don't know if it would have helped Britney spears......

Quote Originally Posted by 5050 View Post
    With all my respect Mr Site5...
    A SERIOUS Hosting Co would ALWAYS provide AND do RSYNC OFFSITE BACKUPS. This is sadly and apparently not the case here.
    How am I supporting site5? All I'm saying is that if you actually read ANY hosts TOS - the first thing in big bold letters will read, we are not responsible for client data.

If you read that, and agree to it, would you still trust their backup system? hmmm. Sounds like a sticky one

Like I said, always do your own backups.

Hey Ramprage just get out of the way!
    We are dealing with a serious issue here.
    Site5 has bloked us customers from posting on their famous Disneyland Forum:
    http://forums.site5.com/showthread.p...1&goto=newpost
    I really don't find it funny.

Sorry but "the backups are corrupted" is a bullcrap excuse from hosting companies, what it really means is "we didn't make any backups" but they won't come out and say it because it would show how shady they really are.

Thumbs down

This is called CENSORSHIP.
    Remember!

Posting here is not going to magically fix your corrupt backups. Do not bash other users for trying to help you understand the situation. You are responsible for your own backups, no matter which company you choose! Always keep your own backups of your data if it's important.

Unfortunately corrupted backups are a part of life, it's a serious issue but telling others to "get out of the way" is not going to help you recover your data.

My $0.02 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    Posting here is not going to magically fix your corrupt backups. Do not bash other users for trying to help you understand the situation. You are responsible for your own backups, no matter which company you choose! Always keep your own backups of your data if it's important.

Unfortunately corrupted backups are a part of life, it's a serious issue but telling others to "get out of the way" is not going to help you recover your data.

My $0.02 cents!
    I'm sorry but how is it a part of life, we backup our stuff constantly and I don't think I have seen a corrupt backup yet. I think the hosting industry has far too many instances of "corrupt backups" than it should.

I'm a customer on the Oracle server with Site5 also, I understand we should make our own backups but in the entire length of time I've been on the Oracle server, its never let me run a full backup, it always times out no matter what time of day so I don't have a full backup.

My main issue with this situation is Site5's attitude, they've offered us a free 12 month credit, fair enough but its like they give us free stuff and want us to shut up and carry on. I want my data restored, they can keep the credit.

Theres a couple of things about this situation that don't make much sense, when Site5 reported on their forums that the server had gone down they started the restore process, it got all the way up to 80% restored (so they said) then we didn't here again for a number of hours. At that point we got an email saying the backups were corrupt, the datas gone. So how could it have got to 80% restored?

I'm really not happy with Site5, this is the second time the raid array in this particular server has corrupted within a couple of months, I'm currently looking at my options for moving elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RossH View Post
    I'm sorry but how is it a part of life, we backup our stuff constantly and I don't think I have seen a corrupt backup yet. I think the hosting industry has far too many instances of "corrupt backups" than it should.
    I agree, some companies try to hide the fact that they had not made any backups with "corrupt backups" excuse even though they advertise regular backups on their web site. However Corrupt backups do happen at times, not all the time but some times.

But in my opinion the customer should always download regular backups of their data. If you cannot download it because of slow ISP, there is an easy option in cpanel to backup to a remote FTP. Regardless if you are paying $100 or $10 per month, or what the company advertises. No company will take responsibility for your data, and that is always written somewhere in their Terms of service.

The whole situation is different for different companies.

Quote Originally Posted by g_bowskill View Post
    I'm a customer on the Oracle server with Site5 also, I understand we should make our own backups but in the entire length of time I've been on the Oracle server, its never let me run a full backup, it always times out no matter what time of day so I don't have a full backup.
    Surely this should be taken as a warning that -
    • things are not all right with the server
    • your data is at risk

I'm no Site5 fan, but backups can get corrupted. What do you think FSCKs are for?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Just seemed like common sense to us.
    There you go again, common sense has no place at WHT!
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

In a bad sorta way it's your fault you can only blame yourself because most hosts don't backup even if they say they do, so if your server dies, crashes or whatever the reason be, you at least know at for sure that you are something to go on.

I guess you have learned your lesson and will do a backup, daily, weekly or monthly because if you rely on them, well you can't always count on them, or the server, things happen be it here fault or not.

Quote Originally Posted by g_bowskill View Post

My main issue with this situation is Site5's attitude, they've offered us a free 12 month credit, fair enough but its like they give us free stuff and want us to shut up and carry on. I want my data restored, they can keep the credit.

Theres a couple of things about this situation that don't make much sense, when Site5 reported on their forums that the server had gone down they started the restore process, it got all the way up to 80% restored (so they said) then we didn't here again for a number of hours. At that point we got an email saying the backups were corrupt, the datas gone. So how could it have got to 80% restored?

I'm really not happy with Site5, this is the second time the raid array in this particular server has corrupted within a couple of months, I'm currently looking at my options for moving elsewhere.
    Also, another note, why are you relying on cpanel or whatever you are using to do a backup, sometimes they do corrupt, use ftp, or ssh there is several different ways to do a backup and I would never use CPANEL or some control panel to backup my software because the fact is, things screw up, and you might not notice until you are in this situation and notice things aren't right, or you didn't fully get everything.

If you are having all these problems, why are you even there still, that's again your own fault, if they are having problems, or screw up things, leave, if you stay you risk things happening again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast