A Small Orange OR Hostdime

I am looking at my first VPS service and I am considering one of these two companies as my final choices. The list has narrowed down for me, greatly.

ASO
    I've done my research and I am aware of a bad reputation that ASO has in relation to their parent company. However, I've spoken on a few forums with people and came to the conclusion

A. EIG is bad for a lot of hosts
    B. There apparently is an EIG badwagon people jump on to judge a host more so because of EIG and not the actual company in this case.

I've spoken with ASO through sales and their ticket replies took a little longer than expected but their phone support was friendly. I also know of a forum I frequent that is presently using their VPS services and they seem to be really happy with ASO. Their support, according to that owner, is top notch and fast.

I tried testing out their phone support for techncial support and it's been 10 mins so far with no reply(idk if that is a good or bad thing).

I love their pricing.

I asked them about EIG and the guy was actually pretty candid and frank about the criticisms they have heard about EIG and he said nothing has really changed aside from his paycheck looks different. He said they have their own management teams and that they really are separate aside from a Human Resources guy. They pretty much have nothing to do with EIG for the most part was reassuring.

They don't support litespeed directly and it would be installation fee for them to set it up for me.

Hostdime
    Attractive website and Friendly Phone support from what I heard.

I have a friend who moved to them recently and is running into a slight annoyance with them which makes me wary(he is a guinea pig for me).

They are higher than ASO.

Both companies offer Phone, Ticket and Live chat support it appears.

I am a bit torn and I am curious EIG aside, which of these hosts you all would recommend for a first time VPS customer?

If I am not mistaken, Hostdime offers fully managed and ASO does not? In otherwords if you were looking to install Litespeed, I believe HD would do this for you at no extra cost.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

ASO was founded with better principles and despite being under EIG still maintains those. Each brand under EIG is still run with the same philosophy that it had when the founder created it. EIG doesn't do much to mitigate that beyond the occasional cost cutting measure. ASO nonetheless is and always has though held itself to a much higher standard than your typical host.

I'd go with ASO and would recommend you conduct daily backups via a third-party provider like dropmysite.com
    Cody McLain
    Founder of PacificHost / AptHost

Here i was thinking those were some good prices for Managed Services. However, they do offer Proactive support of different levels at ASO. Which still isn't too bad price wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwasteland View Post
    Here i was thinking those were some good prices for Managed Services. However, they do offer Proactive support of different levels at ASO. Which still isn't too bad price wise.
    Eh.. I would stay away from the "proactive" management services or at the very least get a specific list of what that exactly means and is covered. If you are familiar with hardening/setting up your own VPS, then "proactive non fully managed support" might do you some good. If not, your going to want to go with Fully Managed (which HD truely offers).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by wirefusemedia View Post
    Each brand under EIG is still run with the same philosophy that it had when the founder created it.
    BS.
    BS.
    BS.

EIG liquidated companies. Guts them, keeping only the name and the customers. Everything from employees to servers get thrown under the bus, and replaced with something cheaper to maximize profits. I don't know where you're getting the information, but it's hellaciously WRONG.

ASO has very telltale signs of EIG overtaking it, and has for at least a year now. It's obvious to those of us who have tracked the EIG monster for the past decade.

Neither of these are known as "VPS hosts" anyway, but merely shared hosts. There are better VPS hosting choices.
    Last edited by kpmedia; 10-29-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    BS.
    BS.
    BS.

EIG liquidated companies. Guts them, keeping only the name and the customers. Everything from employees to servers get thrown under the bus, and replaced with something cheaper to maximize profits. I don't know where you're getting the information, but it's hellaciously WRONG.

ASO has very telltale signs of EIG overtaking it, and has for at least a year now. It's obvious to those of us who have tracked the EIG monster for the past decade.

Neither of these are known as "VPS hosts" anyway, but merely shared hosts. There are better VPS hosting choices.
    Did EIG take your cookie of something?

Any and every business only cares about maximizing profits (I would think), at the end of the day they are in business to make money in turn finding cost savings (outsourced employees, cheaper vendors, etc.)

It happens all the time, a business gets acquired and employees have to find new employment services are consolidated. Nothing in life is guaranteed my friend that's just the way the world works.

Just my 2/c
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

No, he just got screwed up by EIG; three times if I recall well...and so was I, once.
    There is indeed an EIG bandwagon, but there was no other choice but start it in order to let people know about the group.

There is not even a comparison; HostDime all the way.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

Quote Originally Posted by asgard View Post
    No, he just got screwed up by EIG; three times if I recall well....
    Correct.

They'd buy the host I was using, and rape it, always screwing up my sites in the process.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

B. There apparently is an EIG badwagon people jump on to judge a host more so because of EIG and not the actual company in this case.
    I agree. I've used ASO myself not so long ago and they're definitely better than their sister companies (HG, Bluehost, etc.) If you do end up using them, just keep in mind that there's always the risk of things falling apart eventually because...well.. EIG.

Quote Originally Posted by illegit View Post
    I agree. I've used ASO myself not so long ago and they're definitely better than their sister companies (HG, Bluehost, etc.) If you do end up using them, just keep in mind that there's always the risk of things falling apart eventually because...well.. EIG.
    That risk goes with every and any host.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

ASO is still an "EIG". Sooner or later they will start cutting down the cost and you will start feeling the crunch, It will happen. Its not worth the shot when you can go with Hostdime who have good reputation around her.
    Crypracks.com | Premium Bare Metal Servers at Budget
    Powerful Dedicated Servers and VPS servers | Instant Setup
    Quote ? - Sales @ Crypracks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Terrence View Post
    Any and every business only cares about maximizing profits (I would think),
    No.

Only super-$hitty businesses exist "only" to profit. Most businesses are in business to offer goods and/or services. While profit is (hopefully) part of the business model, there are other considerations. Profit is not the only reason it exists. There's also quality, ethics (example: child labor), etc, to consider.

EIG is owned by vulture capitalists. That's a different sort of slimy operation than a standard business.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

I am looking at my first VPS service and I am considering one of these two companies as my final choices. The list has narrowed down for me, greatly.

ASO
    I've done my research and I am aware of a bad reputation that ASO has in relation to their parent company. However, I've spoken on a few forums with people and came to the conclusion

I've spoken with ASO through sales and their ticket replies took a little longer than expected but their phone support was friendly. I also know of a forum I frequent that is presently using their VPS services and they seem to be really happy with ASO. Their support, according to that owner, is top notch and fast.

I tried testing out their phone support for techncial support and it's been 10 mins so far with no reply(idk if that is a good or bad thing).

I love their pricing.

I asked them about EIG and the guy was actually pretty candid and frank about the criticisms they have heard about EIG and he said nothing has really changed aside from his paycheck looks different. He said they have their own management teams and that they really are separate aside from a Human Resources guy. They pretty much have nothing to do with EIG for the most part was reassuring.

They don't support litespeed directly and it would be installation fee for them to set it up for me.

Hostdime
    Attractive website and Friendly Phone support from what I heard.

I have a friend who moved to them recently and is running into a slight annoyance with them which makes me wary(he is a guinea pig for me).

They are higher than ASO.

Both companies offer Phone, Ticket and Live chat support it appears.

I am a bit torn and I am curious EIG aside, which of these hosts you all would recommend for a first time VPS customer?
    I think you can't go wrong with either of them, ASO holds a solid reputation thus far even after EIG takeover.