what is better for windows hosting? More CPU or more RAM...

Hi,

I am providing linux hosting for a while now, but want to expand my services to windows hosting as well.

I am looking to get a dedicated server, but could use some help in deciding what to chose.

What would be better for windows 2003 hosting? It would normally be used for asp.net pages, and people can use ms sql (but the free msde edition). There will also be mysql on the server.

What would be better, more ram or more cpu?

config 1: less cpu, more ram

Xeon QUAD-CORE Clovertown E5130 (4 times 1,6 Ghz)
    8 GB ECC DDR2 ram

config 2: more cpu, less ram

Dual QuadCore 5310 8 times 1.6GHz Cores
    4GB ECC DDR2 Ram

Also, I am looking at offering ajax for asp.net. Does this take a lot of resources on the server?

And what about running apps in isolated application pools for every user. Does this take a lot of server resources?

Thanks for your help guys!

Hi DCvoluwe,

Be careful about using MSDE/SQLExpress - it has some limitations in terms of maximum DB size, concurrency, etc.

In terms of RAM & CPU, they should usually be matched, 1-2GB per CPU is ideal - but it really depends on the workload of your servers and what types of applications you'll be hosting. Generally though RAM is better than CPU.

AJAX on asp.net - it doesnt necessarily take any more resources on the server - if coded correctly it can actually reduce the load on the server (only part of the page has to be re-rendered, not the whole page). Depends on how the developer writes the code.
    BitFlow Hosting
    High Performance Windows VPS & Dedicated Servers
    100% Canadian
    www.BitFlowHosting.com

Unless you are running the 64 bit version or are using one of the AWE aware products, you cannot use the extra 4GB.

On second thought, yes you can if you are using virtualisation software.
    Last edited by plumsauce; 09-29-2007 at 03:12 AM.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Unless you are running the 64 bit version or are using one of the AWE aware products, you cannot use the extra 4GB.

On second thought, yes you can if you are using virtualisation software.
    we will be using the enterprise edition of windows 2003, so I don't think that will be an issue?

Does anyone know if running apps in isolated application pools for every user takes a lot of server resources?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DCvoluwe View Post
    Does anyone know if running apps in isolated application pools for every user takes a lot of server resources?

Thanks!

It would take more resources than if you were to put everybody in a single application pool. However, there are tradeoffs - using isolated application pools prevents one bad app from taking them all down. GENERALLY speaking, I would not recommend putting different apps in the same app pool - especially if they're different customers in a shared environment.
    BitFlow Hosting
    High Performance Windows VPS & Dedicated Servers
    100% Canadian
    www.BitFlowHosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by DCvoluwe View Post

Thanks!
    Typically 7mb of ram per wwp.exe.

I would highly recommend practicing strict app pool/virtual directory/etc best practices from STEP ONE. This will save you a lot of time in the future.

Keep your inetmgr, and directories extremely organized or you will completely regret it in the future. I've had to administer some shared server clusters containing hundreds upon hundreds of domains that were a complete joke, and I'd spend more time tracking down tiny little logistical details than actually troubleshooting and resolving issues.
    Last edited by mrjit; 10-04-2007 at 05:20 PM.
    > mike