* 8 Things to Look for in a Reseller Hosting Provider

What to Look For In a Reseller

Before purchasing a reseller hosting account, they are 8 rules to consider.
    1. What type of resources are you allowed? Think in terms of how many accounts you can fit on this reseller. Does this host oversell? Is this host a reseller or “master” or “alpha” reseller themselves?
    2. What type of free add-ons do they have compared to the competition? When starting a hosting company it is imperative to have a billing system, dedicated IP address, and SSL certificate. These add-ons are usually provided by your hosting company free of charge!
    3. What Type of promotions does your potential host offer? Usually you can find a pretty good deal on hosting, especially when checking out this forum for discounts, coupons, etc. It is wise to always check the offers forums for the best deals!
    4. What Type of uptime does your host offer and can they back it up? This is important; some hosts offer a 99.5% uptime guarantee while others offer a 99.99%. This may seem like a small difference, but it could mean the difference between a sale for your company!
    5. What type of reputation do they have? The first place to look is here. Run a search on the forums with the name of the hosting company in the keywords space, usually followed by review. This should pull up a list of reviews. Keep in mind that many customers say nothing when they are satisfied, but speak often when they are upset. So if you do see a pretty good amount of positive reviews then it should pretty much speak for itself!
    6. Do they have a live chat? Tickets are great, but does your host offer live chat? It is much easier to get things straightened out when you have a live person that you are able to coincide with. Friendly, knowledgeable, and well speaking support agents can truly make or break the functionality of the live chat!
    7. How old is the host? This is very important. If a host is less than three months old, there a probably still laying the ground work? Typically, it is wise to ask the date the business was founded. This will help you ensure that your host is not a “fly by night” type that will pack up shop after the first month.
    8. Are they active? Does your host participate on WHT, do they have an active blog? A Facebook account, Twitter account? Active hosts will usually offer incentives to customers!

That is it! Eight rules to finding a superb reseller hosting professional! I have done all the hard work for you, now just follow these eight simple steps and you will be on your way to finding a reliable, cost effective, quality hosting provider!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TBradley View Post
    What to Look For In a Reseller

Before purchasing a reseller hosting account, they are 8 rules to consider.
    1. What type of resources are you allowed? Think in terms of how many accounts you can fit on this reseller. Does this host oversell? Is this host a reseller or “master” or “alpha” reseller themselves?
    2. What type of free add-ons do they have compared to the competition? When starting a hosting company it is imperative to have a billing system, dedicated IP address, and SSL certificate. These add-ons are usually provided by your hosting company free of charge!
    3. What Type of promotions does your potential host offer? Usually you can find a pretty good deal on hosting, especially when checking out this forum for discounts, coupons, etc. It is wise to always check the offers forums for the best deals!
    4. What Type of uptime does your host offer and can they back it up? This is important; some hosts offer a 99.5% uptime guarantee while others offer a 99.99%. This may seem like a small difference, but it could mean the difference between a sale for your company!
    5. What type of reputation do they have? The first place to look is here. Run a search on the forums with the name of the hosting company in the keywords space, usually followed by review. This should pull up a list of reviews. Keep in mind that many customers say nothing when they are satisfied, but speak often when they are upset. So if you do see a pretty good amount of positive reviews then it should pretty much speak for itself!
    6. Do they have a live chat? Tickets are great, but does your host offer live chat? It is much easier to get things straightened out when you have a live person that you are able to coincide with. Friendly, knowledgeable, and well speaking support agents can truly make or break the functionality of the live chat!
    7. How old is the host? This is very important. If a host is less than three months old, there a probably still laying the ground work? Typically, it is wise to ask the date the business was founded. This will help you ensure that your host is not a “fly by night” type that will pack up shop after the first month.
    8. Are they active? Does your host participate on WHT, do they have an active blog? A Facebook account, Twitter account? Active hosts will usually offer incentives to customers!

That is it! Eight rules to finding a superb reseller hosting professional! I have done all the hard work for you, now just follow these eight simple steps and you will be on your way to finding a reliable, cost effective, quality hosting provider!
    Cheers
    I'm looking for reseller hosting, so what would be your answers for those questions that you posted? I want to know.

He provides the answers in the same sentence as the questions.

Some good information to keep on mind when signing up with a Reseller Account. Thanks for sharing the information the should help out a lot of newbies out in the web hosting reseller industry.

Just trying to provide valuable information for new hosts entering the scene, there is nothing worse then starting off your business on the wrong foot and blemishing your brand.

redcoder, I supplied the answers to the questions with each paragraph, but I can not answer what host choose, that is entirely up to you. There are several hosts on this thread that are awesome, so finding a good one should not be hard as long as you do your homework! A word of advise, contact the hosts support before you purchase. Hosts that are willing to help you would be ideal!

Good luck!

nice information you provide here
    Reliable Web Hosting In Pakistan
    24/7 Support With 99.9 % Uptime Guaranted
    Reseller Hosting Also Available

I forgot to mention that it was a nice list. Good work!

Also look for typos on their websites, that can be a bad indicator.

What Type of uptime does your host offer and can they back it up? This is important; some hosts offer a 99.5% uptime guarantee while others offer a 99.99%. This may seem like a small difference, but it could mean the difference between a sale for your company!
    Sadly, the uptime guarantee figure can be meaningless, and the real uptime achievements of hosts can be hard or impossible to find. Most customers will tell you "great uptime", which can mean just about anything, since measurements techniques and expectations vary so much.

Do they have a live chat? Tickets are great, but does your host offer live chat? It is much easier to get things straightened out when you have a live person that you are able to coincide with. Friendly, knowledgeable, and well speaking support agents can truly make or break the functionality of the live chat!
    Live chat can be great, though one shouldn't have too great expectations from it. It generally only makes sense to have low level techs manning live chat, so help will be somewhat limited to basic problems.

Are they active? Does your host participate on WHT, do they have an active blog? A Facebook account, Twitter account? Active hosts will usually offer incentives to customers!
    I'm not quite sure what you meant.

In terms of the "active hosts" part, I'd imagine he would mean that if a host is obviously very active posting daily on their social sites, updates their blog often, etc, you know you have a host who A is around and actively thinking about their company and B might be more willing to dish out coupons.

Sadly, the uptime guarantee figure can be meaningless, and the real uptime achievements of hosts can be hard or impossible to find. Most customers will tell you "great uptime", which can mean just about anything, since measurements techniques and expectations vary so much.
    Really, are you saying that most hosts do not offer public uptime reports to their customers? As a typical rule, if a host is not able to provide facts for server uptimes I, personally, would stay away!

Live chat can be great, though one shouldn't have too great expectations from it. It generally only makes sense to have low level techs manning live chat, so help will be somewhat limited to basic problems.
    Very true! Checking to see a more advanced issue worked out on the tickets would be smart as well!

I'm not quite sure what you meant.
    I meant pretty much exactly what Jeff Bee said...

In terms of the "active hosts" part, I'd imagine he would mean that if a host is obviously very active posting daily on their social sites, updates their blog often, etc, you know you have a host who A is around and actively thinking about their company and B might be more willing to dish out coupons.

I meant pretty much exactly what Jeff Bee said...
    The main advantage I see when a company is very much out there, sharing inside information, is that you get a feel of the way the company is run, what their style and goals are. It helps diminish the risks you have. A kiddie host will tend to sound like one.

But I don't see the extra volume of communication making the company more likely to have better offers, be they coupons based or otherwise. Then again, I didn't look that much into it to have a statistically significant report on that.

I have seen many hosts who run special exclusive offers through their social networking sites. Its not a guarantee that a particular host will be offering more coupons or discounts than one that doesn't use social networking, but it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    The main advantage I see when a company is very much out there, sharing inside information, is that you get a feel of the way the company is run, what their style and goals are. It helps diminish the risks you have. A kiddie host will tend to sound like one.

But I don't see the extra volume of communication making the company more likely to have better offers, be they coupons based or otherwise. Then again, I didn't look that much into it to have a statistically significant report on that.
    It is not so much the coupons that make a transparent and active host awesome! It's the fact that when something bad happens, such as raid failure, the host will have more medians to explain themselves, rather then a host that is not transparent and is unwilling to release any information.

Thanks for sharing, some very important things there!

You forgot the most important one of them all, which is sticking to realistic hosting plans (quota/price-wise). =)
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting