Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Someone left a dvd at my party. Do I have to return it?

I had a small party recently and after everyone left one of the people who was there called me and told me that they had brought a dvd and forgotten it in the DVD player.

They told me they would pick it up next time they were in the area.

Apparently they changed their mind, probably because they live about 90 minutes away, and now they want me to mail it to them.

Well I'm not too keen on spending my time and money to mail this thing, but that may not matter, because I can't seem to find it. (I had it in my hands when they first called to tell me they forgot it, but I can't figure out where I put it.)

I'm thinking about just telling the person to buzz off since I don't particularly like them anyway.

Am I legally obligated to find and return this thing or give them money to buy another one?

How did they even get to your place if you don't particularly like them?

If I don't like them, I'll tell them to buzz off. They can sue if they think I am breaking any laws...

I believe you are. Not doing so is incredibly mean. How would you feel if you left $30 at a party and the person kept it, even though they knew it was yours.

The solution? Just let them pick it up next time they are in the area.

would you want your dvd returned if you left it at someones house 90 minutes away?

Originally posted by ichris
    I believe you are. Not doing so is incredibly mean. How would you feel if you left $30 at a party and the person kept it, even though they knew it was yours.

The solution? Just let them pick it up next time they are in the area.
    Must admit, it would be a bit nasty just to deny the guy of his DVD. Wait until he's in the area and the he can make the effort to collect it. Don't think about it again and don't post it to him! He left it . he can pik it up!
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Treat others as you expect to be treated. Come on, it can't be more than $2 to ship that DVD by Media Mail.

karma...........look it up.

You really need to grow up in your attitude.
    This person was obviously a guest in your house and as such you should have the respect to return his property.

If you "don't particularly like them anyway" then don't have them in your house to begin with.

Originally posted by OKIHost
    would you want your dvd returned if you left it at someones house 90 minutes away?

Exactly. Do unto others, whether you like them or not.
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Find the DVD, and send it down to your foe. You'll learn that doing these types of things for people really builds to your character, and it might leave the other person with a better image of you.

Always be the better person
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources
    Read about your company in the news
    Web Hosting Press Releases

Re: Someone left a dvd at my party. Do I have to return it?

Originally posted by webwormx

Well I'm not too keen on spending my time and money to mail this thing
    Honestly, how much time and money can this take? Next time your out, go to the post office (max 5 minutes) and mail the DVD (max $5)

Just because your not particularly fond of the person doesn't mean you shouldn't respect their property and be generally kind.

Like stated above, how would you feel if you went to a party 90 min away, and left a DVD there and the host didn't like you much, so he decided to forget about it.

I doubt there are any legal implications but the time it took you to come on the computer and post this on WHT and read the replies would be the same amount of time it would take to mail it.

Take that extra step, it may not be your fault that he left the DVD over at your house, but thats over and done with, take the high road and don't look back

Just tell them next time they are in the area to come and pick it up.

You arnt going to spend your money on his slackness....

Originally posted by X3r0X-HybridHost
    Just tell them next time they are in the area to come and pick it up.

You arnt going to spend your money on his slackness....

Or on your slackness for not being the intentive host...
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Just tell them the truth that you cannot find the dvd now and you have lost it, they will probably understand...

You need to return it and I agree with the majority of the posts above. If you don't want to pay the postage, ask the owner of the DVD to pay shipping and then promptly get it out to them.

Honestly, if I didn't like the person, they wouldn't get in my house. Answering the door with a Katana in one hand and a Wiskey in the other sorta helps...

But to answer your question, they can pick it up when they come to your place next, or if they don't want to pay overdue fees, they can send you some money to post it to them.

Honestly, it isn't your fault they are moronic...
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Thanks for all the replies.

I've already considered and the ethical issues behind not returning it. That's something I've already decided for reasons unrelated why I posed this thread.

The DVD is not a rental, so no, I'm not subjecting the person to tons of late fees.

I'm not worried about the person sueing me over a dvd. This post was more of a matter of curiosity as to whether people still own something if they forget it at someone else's residence.

And for those of you who are concerned about this, once the DVD shows up I do intend to put it in a safe place and hold onto it in case the person comes by and asks for it. The party was held at another residence of mine, and it's possible I left the DVD there, next time I go there I will look around for it.

This person already owes me money, and it's very unlikely that they will pay for shipping, but if they do, I will send it.

I have to ask why someone who you didn't really like, would travel 90 minutes to a party at your place? Obviously they like you enough to travel that far. Do the right thing

It isn't a rental, don't ship it. Like you said, you can't find it now anyways, so...

Chances are you will have a party sometime in the near future, they can always get it then
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

If you don't return it that will mean that you stole it. Do what you think is right.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Originally posted by webwormx
    This post was more of a matter of curiosity as to whether people still own something if they forget it at someone else's residence.
    Yeah they do. A month ago my 5 year old daughter 'forgot' her bear at a friend of my sister-in-law while they they were at her place. When we realized what had happened a '**** and bull' story was concocted by her that it'd been lost outside and some 'homeless' person has found it and taken it away.

Turns out my sister-in-law knew the alledged 'homeless' person and confronted the 'thief'. Seems my daughters teddy bear was destined for her own daughter's closet.

My sister-in-law is a pretty nasty person when crossed so she rolled up and 'sorted it out'.

The end result is 'Sweeky' is back at home with my 5 year old where he should be.

Now I realize this tale is slightly different but the moral holds true, and that is:

It ain't your stuff. Be a f*cking man and return the property to it's rightful owner. You can act like a b*tch and try to gain some moral ground, but at the end of the day you're trying to justify being a f*cking thief. Remember... Be A Man.

There are four kinds of people I have no time for:

Men that hit women
    People that hurt children
    Liars
    Thieves
    Last edited by akashik; 01-22-2005 at 09:24 AM.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

It's their property not yours. They did the right thing and notified you that they had left it there. You have openly admitted it is there property and you have it in your possession. You are legally bound to surrender it to them.

If you have lost it you are then legally libel to replace it. Your quickest and safest course of action is to find it, or go and buy a new one, and send it to them by registered mail. You need to send it registered mail so that you have proof that you sent it to them.

Now if you and every body else that thinks you should keep it could kindly list your names so I can avoid you in the future.

Have a good day

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Take it - Tak it and hide ...LOL

Originally posted by Sheps
    Honestly, it isn't your fault they are moronic...

He forgot something so he is moronic?

So you have never forgotten anything anywhere?

I decided to look up the word Maronic.

moronic

ADJECTIVE: So senseless as to be laughable: absurd, foolish, harebrained, idiotic, imbecilic, insane, lunatic, mad, nonsensical, preposterous, silly, softheaded, tomfool, unearthly, zany. Informal : cockeyed, crazy, loony, loopy. Slang : balmy2, dippy, dopey, jerky, sappy, wacky. See ABILITY, KNOWLEDGE.

Sounds like a list of WHT user names

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast