Thread: A ropey riddle

* A ropey riddle

Hello there,

This is a slight modification on an easy riddle I was told recently -

Jenny decides to visit the stable to ride her horse for the day. However, firstly she must feed the horse. Jenny looks at the three different types of hay and ponders over which one to choose. Meanwhile her friend ties the horse up with a 14 and a half foot rope. The horse stands there angrily.
    Jenny chooses the food she is going to use. The chosen bail of hay is 25 feet ft away from the horse when the rope is taught yet the horse manages to eat from it, without Jenny even knowing!
    How did the horse:

a) Eat the bail of hay
    b) Do it without Jenny knowing

No hints yet

Regards,

Jordan
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

She didn't tie the horse up to a pole and it just walked over there or her friend fed the the horse?

Originally posted by Frosty
    She didn't tie the horse up to a pole and it just walked over there or her friend fed the the horse?
    You are nearly there -

"She didn't tie the horse to the pole" is correct, however, her friend did not feed the horse.

Basically, the other end of the rope wasn't tied to anything and the horse went over and fed itself. Jenny didn't know because she wasn't there! She decided which bale of hay to feed the horse before she had set off for the stable.

Regards,

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

A) is easy. She tied the horse up to a 14 foot rope like so.

HAY ---------------|Pole|-----------------Horse. So he has no issues getting to the hay.

B) I don't understand exactly. But, could she have been looking the opposite way?
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

a). shes tied to a pole.. and if the horse goes round the pole. so that its 14 1/2 feet times, the rope will be tight.

so to undo the rope its 14 1/2 feet to make the whole rope loose . and the hay is actually 14 1/2 feet away.. so the horse can walk 14 1/2 feet to the hay still tied.

b) jenny had her back turned away
    E:magineHosts (Department Of E:magine Limited)
    emagine the possibilities
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited
    Windows,Linux, VPS Hosting environments

I got it right and I suck at riddles... heh heh :)

Considering you all tried to crack the riddle that I had given the solution to in post 3 - that was very good , ha ha