Man had testicles cut off after 'botched vasectomy'

A MAN who was operated on by a surgeon despite complaining of pain during a vasectomy later had both his testicles cut off.

Former soldier Daniel Stalker, of Dunbar, decided to undergo the birth control procedure after his wife became pregnant with their fourth child.

But he told a court that during the vasectomy, performed under a local anaesthetic by consultant obstetrician Dr Paul Dewart, that he could feel it but the doctor carried on.

Mr Stalker, 51, said the procedure was only abandoned when he doubled up in pain and vomited.

He said he has been in pain since then and underwent an operation to remove his testicles in 1998 to see if that would help but it did not.

Mr Stalker, of Parsonpool, Dunbar, raised an action alleging medical negligence against Lothian Health Board for £1 million at the Court of Session in Edinburgh following the surgery.

A judge has now found the health authority liable and continued the action for further proceedings to fix the amount of damages.

Lord Uist said: "I accept that it is unlikely that a surgeon would continue operating in the face of a complaint of pain from the patient, but I am driven to the conclusion that that is what happened in this case.

"Why Dr Dewart behaved in the manner in which he did I do not know – it may be simply that he was having 'an off day'," said the judge.

He added: "I conclude that Dr Dewart failed to test that the local anaesthetic which he had administered was effective, that he proceeded to make an incision on the pursuer's scrotum in an area not protected against pain by anaesthetic.

"That the pursuer told him more than once that he felt pain during the incision, that Dr Dewart proceeded to the stage of blunt dissection, involving the insertion of a blunt instrument into his scrotum, despite the pursuer's complaints of pain and that the procedure was thereafter abandoned when he was in pain and vomited."

It was argued for Mr Stalker that he suffered a nerve injury giving rise to pain disorder at the time of the blunt dissection carried out by the surgeon.

The judge said that after considering the evidence on the point he found that the patient had suffered nerve pain giving rise to the disorder after Dr Dewart inserted the surgical instrument into an unanaesthetised part during the attempted vasectomy.

The court heard that Mr Stalker, who served in the Royal Scots for 12 years , had decided to have a vasectomy in 1995.

He was referred to a family planning clinic in Dean Terrace, in Edinburgh, and attended for the surgery on May 7 in 1996.

He was given an injection and Dr Dewart started the operation. He said at first he felt a scratch "just like a wee scratch from a cat".

He said he told the doctor he could feel it but Dr Dewart told him he could not feel it and carried on.

Mr Stalker said he told him a second time and thought he also told him a third time. He saw a long instrument inside his scrotum before he doubled up in pain.

He said he was left crying and screaming and being sick following the unbearable pain.

He went home after the vasectomy but within days his family doctor came to see him because one of his testicles was "coal black", swollen to double its size and excruciatingly painful.

Dr Dewart, of St John's Hospital in Livingston, in West Lothian, estimated that he had performed a thousand vasectomies under local anaesthetic by May 1996.

The honorary senior lecturer at Edinburgh University said he did not remember Mr Stalker as a patient and had no recollection of the events involving him on the day of the scheduled operation.

He said he would never carry out a procedure without ensuring the anaesthetic was effective and if the patient complained of pain when he made an incision he would have offered more of it.

Lord Uist said that after considering the evidence he had come to the conclusion that the substance of Mr Stalker's testimony over what happened to him at the clinic was "both credible and reliable".

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/to...off.4104235.jp

hmmm.....talk about surgeons making a right balls up...this one case takes the biscuit.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 05-21-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

oww it just hurts reading that
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

"Why Dr Dewart behaved in the manner in which he did I do not know – it may be simply that he was having 'an off day'," said the judge.
    hmm..."an off day"....Jesus!!!

it reminds me of another true story where the surgeon removed the good leg instead of the bad one....how is this possible...I mean we only have two to choose from....what did the surgeon do...just put a blind fold on and pull out the buzz saw.?

these medical errors really should not be allowed to happen...I mean it's hardly like deleting a file from your pc by mistake.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 05-21-2008 at 08:45 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

Man that is just plain nasty. If my wife ever wants me to get one Ill point her to this post. That doesn't sound like much fun to me.

And why is this on a Web Hosting Forum?
    Barak Hosting
    http://barakhosting.com
    Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting - Lunatic Support is what sets us apart

Quote Originally Posted by marcbarak View Post
    And why is this on a Web Hosting Forum?
    It's the lounge.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    it reminds me of another true story where the surgeon removed the good leg instead of the bad one....how is this possible...
    I was in the hospital once for an operation, and they took me down a day early. Along the way I asked questions and they finally told me I was scheduled for my double bypass...but that wasn't why I was in there at all. Turns out someone with my name was in hospital for that, and he was in his 70's. I was 28 at the time, but no one bothered to check the chart.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Crikey bear. *shivers
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I feel SICK!! It just feel's Yuck! Give's you the creepy's!

Bet he gets a 250,000 to 500,000 for it. He wont get the million hes looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I was in the hospital once for an operation, and they took me down a day early. Along the way I asked questions and they finally told me I was scheduled for my double bypass...but that wasn't why I was in there at all. Turns out someone with my name was in hospital for that, and he was in his 70's. I was 28 at the time, but no one bothered to check the chart.
    How glad are you that you starteed asking questions...?

Imagine if you'd not bothered asking questions then awoke many hours later feeling pretty sore with a scar from your chin to your waist.

hmm

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

Poor Ruling

Let us consider the facts in this situation.

1. Upon leaving the Dean Terrace clinic in Edinburgh, Mr Stalker sat on a bus for 40 minutes to get home.

2. Stalker, who is always in "unendurable agony", and physically cannot sit down for more than app. 5 minutes. Yet he drove from Dunbar to the court.

3. Mr Stalker never appeared to be in pain upon leaving the clinic

4. Only 2 years later, after realising the potential financial gain involved in his failed vasectomy, did he complain of severe pain

5. Dr Dewart had performed 4 vasectomies per week from june 1990 to may 1996.

6. Dr Dewart was regularly audited on his performance at Dean Terrace clinic

7. This is the first medical complaint that Dr Dewart has had lodged against him in over 1200 vasectomies before and after the ordeal, and 23,000 procedures in total since graduating 27 years ago.

8. Dr Dewart is described by colleagues as the most caring of doctors. He has always been kind and conscientious with patients, often gaining the highest praise from patients and colleagues alike.

9. Dr Dewart is a FELLOW of the Faculty of Family Planning (FFFP)

10. Dr Dewart is a FELLOW and the treasurer of the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (FRCOG)

11. Dr Dewart is the lead clinician of Obs/Gynae in Edinburgh and the Lothians.

When we consider these facts, we can see that MacDonald's ruling (Alias Lord Uist) is unjust and frankly ridiculous. He has broken professional courtesy in insulting another professional, and therefore comes across as arrogant and idiotic.

I cannot tell you what to belive, but I know Dr Dewart well, and he would never commence in an operation as alleged. This is a clean cut case of a man, who was unemployed along with his wife, trying to bring up 4 kids, and grab some money along the way. This has resulted in the slander of a respectable, caring doctor by the press, and the disgrace upon the liar, and his family.

It would be soooo different if he had been a scientologist:
    No Pain Killers !

Quote Originally Posted by The_Defence View Post
    This is a clean cut case of a man, who was unemployed along with his wife, trying to bring up 4 kids, and grab some money along the way. This has resulted in the slander of a respectable, caring doctor by the press, and the disgrace upon the liar, and his family.
    hmmm...

I think that's talking bollocks, which is about all that Mr Stalker can do now too...since his were physically removed.

How many liars do you know who'd go to such lengths as having their testicles cut off?

If someone offered me £50 Million to have mines removed I'd tell them where to go....and this Mr stalker only values his at £1 Million.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/la...les.4109776.jp

A judge has now found the health authority liable and continued the action to fix the amount of damages.
    owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 05-22-2008 at 05:15 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

Did I see them dangling from the back of a Texan Truck ?

This hurts way to much to even read
    www.costlessnames.com - Get your domain names for less!
    www.costlessreseller.com - The hottest low cost reseller program!

Not Bollocks

[QUOTE=Outlaw Web Master;5122724]hmmm...

I think that's talking bollocks, which is about all that Mr Stalker can do now too...since his were physically removed.

If you knew Dr Dewart as I do, you would know the same to be true

If you knew Dr Dewart as I do, you would know the same to be true
    People who knew Dr Crippen thought he was okay and the same has been said about Harold Shipman.

Being a Dr of anything doesn't mean they won't make medical faux pas and the judicial system has found the medcal authority liable...case closed.

I've heard that Mr Stalker is now moving to Sheffield...not because of all the bad publicity but because he's stainless.

As for Dr Dewart...he'll survive ..he'll get on in life after all he has the balls to take it on the chin like a professional.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

Makes you kind of cringe at the thought.

Use this as your argument if your wife ever tries to tell you to get a Vasectomy
    Ryan G.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    Did I see them dangling from the back of a Texan Truck ?
    Wow, I just lost it!

Thanks!
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.