Cloud HOsting or VPS ? I am confused

HI everybody,
    I am planning to start files backup service but confused in selection. Which is good ? CLoud computing technology or VPS ?
    I will be installing cpanel/whm to run some websites and Webmin or OpenVPN.

Whats suitable for me ?
    ██ Website Hosting Mumbai | Web Hosting India
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed
    ██ cPanel-Softaculous Shared Hosting | 99.9% Uptime
    ██ sales[at]linkwayhosting.com | +91-9930-3388-67

Nether.

For a backup service you will need lots of cheap storage and lots of cheap bandwidth.

The cloud will give you lots of storage and bandwith but it wont be cheap. A vps will not have the storage you will requre.

You are better building your own server(s) with lots of disk space and collocating them somewhere with cheap bandwidth.
    hostingscorecard.com tracks and graphs host reviews.

For backups I would recommend a low end dedicated server with a large amount of space. You can collocate it at FDCServers.Net for an unmetered connection. FDC also offers a great backup feature. For $15 a month you get an FTP account with 100GB space. Additional space costs $5 a month for each 100GB you buy. They don't list it on their new website but if you send in a sales ticket you can probably buy it.

For a backup service you will need lots of cheap storage and lots of cheap bandwidth.

The cloud will give you lots of storage and bandwith but it wont be cheap. A vps will not have the storage you will requre.

You are better building your own server(s) with lots of disk space and collocating them somewhere with cheap bandwidth.
    For backups I would recommend a low end dedicated server with a large amount of space
    Thanks for your help but
    --ATOM Dedicated server will cost $99/m without cpanel from Singlehop,

--VPS from hostgator will cost $80/m (Level 4 with cpanel) [Managed hosting]

--Cloud hosting from Stormondemand will cost $50/m (Extra $20/m for cpanel) Total goes to $70. [Managed hosting]

I am confused, Pricing is also important, I want to start OpenVPN Service so that I can provide VPN connections to public
    Shall I go for VPS for use of VPN Server ?

From pricing point of view, cloud hosting of storm on demand is very good but never used cloud hosting.

EDITING-
    I saw FDC servers ATOM server which costs $79/m with cpanel. Never heard about FDCservers.
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed

The cloud will give you lots of storage and bandwith but it wont be cheap
    Stormondemand provides cheap service its affordable than having a dedicated server.

Sorry moderators, for my double post.
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed

You say you want to run a backup service, how much disk space do you expect to be needing?

The atom server you quote has a single 250gb disk, the vps you quote has 59 gb of space, stormondemand charges 10 cents per gig of disk space and 8 to 15 cents per gig of bandwidth.

Unless your backup needs are very modest the dedicated server and vps dont have enough space. If your needs are bigger the storage/bandwidth charges on the cloud will be very expensive.

I think you need to describe your needs a little better. How much total diskspace do you need now and how much in 1 year? What is your startup budget? What is your monthly budget?

Cloud computing is out of question i believe, Rest you can decided by the suggestions given above.
    www.24x7servermanagement.com
    Server Management, Server Security, Server Monitoring.
    India's Leading Managed Service Provider !! Skype: techs24x7

Quote Originally Posted by troboy View Post
    Thanks for your help but
    --ATOM Dedicated server will cost $99/m without cpanel from Singlehop,

--VPS from hostgator will cost $80/m (Level 4 with cpanel) [Managed hosting]

--Cloud hosting from Stormondemand will cost $50/m (Extra $20/m for cpanel) Total goes to $70. [Managed hosting]

I am confused, Pricing is also important, I want to start OpenVPN Service so that I can provide VPN connections to public
    Shall I go for VPS for use of VPN Server ?

From pricing point of view, cloud hosting of storm on demand is very good but never used cloud hosting.

EDITING-
    I saw FDC servers ATOM server which costs $79/m with cpanel. Never heard about FDCservers.

I recommend Interserver.net's Atom Dual Core Dedicated Server. It is only $39/mo, with good amount of space and bandwidth. They offer great speeds too.
    Jolly Works Hosting • Your Affordable Web Hosting since 2009.
    Shared | Reseller| Wordpress | VPS | Domains
    █ NVMe SSD, AMD Ryzen, 99.9% Uptime, Proven Filipino Customer Service, USA & Singapore

The cloud will give you lots of storage and bandwith but it wont be cheap
    Cloud computing is out of question i believe
    I wonder why everybody is opposing cloud hosting technology ?

Cost of 1GB is $2/m with managed hosting and cpanel/whm. (Storm charges $20/m for cpanel/whm) according to Storm2GB
    What are limitations or disadvantages of cloud hosting ?
    Is here anybody have used it ?
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed

I wonder why everybody is opposing cloud hosting technology ?
    I am not opposed to clouds. But in this case they are not appropriate.

You say you want to start a backup service. Backup services need many Terrabytes of disk space. On the cloud 1 TB of disk space will cost you $100/month.

You can buy a 1TB drive for about that, even when you consider adding extra raid drives and controllers the simple payback is a few months.

Lets look at simple low-end colocated storage server. 2U, 8 hot swap drivebays with 8 1 TB drives, software raid 5 with 1 hot spare, basic dual or quad core CPU and 4 GB of ram. Ballpark cost would be about $2000 for 5Tb of usable storage. Colocation (excluding bandwidth) would be about $100/month.

On the cloud that same amount of storage would cost you $500/month and the cloud server would cost another $100/month.

So colocated we have an upfront cost of $2000 and $100/month (ignoring bandwidth). On the cloud we have $0 dollars upfront and $600/month. So the cloud will be cheaper for the first 4 months, after that colo will be much cheaper. We still have not factored in bandwidth charges, they will be also cheaper when coloed.

The advantage of the cloud is that it is scaleable. If you had a web site that received a low amount of traffic during the year, but received 20x the traffic during the christmas season (or tax season, or playoffs, of during special promotions, etc.), then the cloud would allow you to scale up as needed and then scale down when no longer needed. You could save because you would only be paying for what you are using. If your load is constant then there is little advantage.

I have nothing against the cloud, it is simply not economic to store large amount of data in the cloud when compared to a colocated setup.
    Last edited by fava; 01-28-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Your budget will definitely influence your choice here, go for cloud if you will spend about $80+ - you'll have a decent fail over system out of the box.

VPS if you are willing to pay about $40+

Youtube will give you some good explanations and nice explanatory videos from providers that offer cloud, this is probably the best way to understand cloud hosting - to see it in action.

do what most people do and build your back stoage service around Amazon S3.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

Quote Originally Posted by network82 View Post
    do what most people do and build your back stoage service around Amazon S3.
    Isn't Amazon S3 a cloud offering?

Quote Originally Posted by ig77 View Post
    Isn't Amazon S3 a cloud offering?
    Yes, its a selection of cloud services..
    Cloud servers, Cloud Storage/CDN, Cloud Database/MOM. Complete with powerful API's...

To be honest, unless you have a spear $20-40k to build a redundant/loadbalanced cloud infrastructure fully licensed, S3 is your only option. Cost of Storage/Bandwidth is cheap, you pay for what you use, and you can easily make a quick return.
    Last edited by network82; 02-09-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

HI everybody,
    I am planning to start files backup service but confused in selection. Which is good ? CLoud computing technology or VPS ?
    I will be installing cpanel/whm to run some websites and Webmin or OpenVPN.

Whats suitable for me ?
    Hey:

Ofcouse the cloud technology is the best for you proyect, if you want the best for your client and you.

Why all recomendations from this forum is based to price ? This is not the question.

I do not want to offend anyone, but it seems that everyone in this profession only think about money.

Me too, but my first responsability is the best for my clients, and as they know it, they pay the money i want.

Together we can raise the level of services is what we should do, not be the cheapest option when our knowledge, studies, IQ, and effort, is over who hires us.

Thanks for that
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed

Cloud hosting might be good for a back-up solution in some cases. Just calculate costs and make sure you will avoid paying high monthly fees for a service you will not use all the time. A regular VPS hosting service or one delivered from a cloud would also work. All depends of the solution you need.

Stormondemand is a LiquidWeb service and it might work for you. I would suggest you to go search for other clouds as well.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone