How many go on irc?

I was wondering how many people went on irc and if you consider a irc bouncer as a specialty hosting market please discuss?

I do....... and I guess you could.
    AS395558

I'm an IRC frequenter, but I would personally never use a bouncer service. If I ever want to use one, I just load it on one of my VPS. Also, it is a specialty market.
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

Bouncers aren't really popular like they used to be, I'm sure there's still a market for them but it's not going to make you rich by any means.

There are many IRC channels which are active.
    I use it frequently.
    As per my observations, generally there are more IRC Channels for Open Source Software
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

I'm a rizon staff member, and frequently am on both freenode and rizon

I host my own BNCs though, heh.

I use IRC on a daily basis since 1998. I use to receive tech support on quick questions in free software, I do offer some support too but most of the time I keep contact with close friends in private/restricted channels.

IRC shell hosting was popular ages ago but nowaday seems better to get some lowend but still decent vps for 3 - 5$ to host bouncer and maybe some IRC bot (I mean regular non abusive bot i.e. eggdrop) with own unique rDNS hostname than to pay 3$ for irc shell with lets say 2 IRC processes allowed.
    IRC networks aren't like they was years ago. Most of them are nowaday half abandoned places full of idle nicknames. But well.. I still like it.

Hello.

Yes, I'm always connected to a few IRC servers. We also sponsor and provide servers for two very large popular IRC networks. I use a bouncer from my IRC.Box I call it, I have a bouncer for each network I hang on, and have it connected 24x7. My "IRC.Box", is just my server/box that I have thats setup for my IRC Needs, hosting my bouncer, I give out some shells on it too friends, and I have a few of my domains hosted on it, and many vanity hosts for myself and friends to use across the networks...

I believe unix shells, irc shells, and bouncers(BNCs) would fall into "specialty hosting". I don't see why it wouldn't. IRC Shells, Unix Shells, and BNC Hosting has been around for years, and still very popular, I would believe it's up there with web hosting still :-)

We've been into the IRC Business for many years now and have enjoyed it, even at stressful times that it brings, which is why many providers don't allow IRC but, it's also a good market to get into if wanted.

Don't think theres much demand for it, most people will use a VPS/Dedi, which they probably already have.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

I use IRC, but I don't use a BNC as I mainly frequent servers with NickServ or similar, so a BNC isn't needed. Also due to IPv4 shortage BNC isn't valid justification for most hosts/DCs.

I use IRC alot, but I don't see a need for a bouncer either

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1080 View Post
    I use IRC alot, but I don't see a need for a bouncer either
    It is good only if you have your own channel.

I was active during the year 1998-1999 via dalnet.

But not anymore :-)

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Wow! Long time ago, I kinda wish I was more into IRC back then now!

Agreed, marketing BNC's now considering the small demand may be difficult.

Still considered a "Specialty Hosting Market" though.

I don't like IRC.