E-Commerce for customers

Who do you guys use for shopping carts + merchants for customers? I have been getting quite a few requests lately for this and instead of sending them to friends who are in the business I think I am going to just make some more profit off them
    James R. Clark II

For shopping carts I send my customers to oscommerce.com it's GPL software and there is quite a few people who write custom mods for it.

I make my extra money with happy customers. The happier they are the more they promote me to others.
    Mark Jervis
    admin@protechhosting.com
    http://protechhosting.com No Hassle Hosting. Fully managed accounts.
    Looking for an Admin for your server? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136076

I avoid GPL/free carts like the plague because they can be very resource intensive and buggy.

Back in 1999 we decided we had enough of Miva.. so, along with a european company, we rolled out our own commercial product. Four years later it's still quietly chugging along, version 6 is due out in May I believe. It was never pushed on end users.. it has been used mainly by web hosts, most of which re-brand the software. I recommend you form some sort of relationship with an ecommerce vendor. Take on the bulk of the support load, and you can save a lot of money.
    Hugh Buchanan
    harveyopolis corporation
    userfriendly.com / killersecurity.com

from our experience outsource the ecommerce as fast as you can.

by that i dont mean throw away the clients i mean use scripts that are supported by another party.

its nice to be the knight in shining armour and hand hold all you e commerce clients however that gets old fast and the support you must provide out strops the financial gains real fast in terms of cost for support.

oscommerce, agora are both ok and offer the mom and pops the chance to play wihtout being a burden on your support.

we have disabled akopia, and would gladly help bury it for good if offered the chance........... will bring shovel and smile

I use PowerBasket for all of my e-commerce clients. The developers are friendly and add features that my clients request.

Ryan