Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VPS for file storage

hi to all,

is there any opportunity for me to order a VPS with little memory and huge disk space with the ability of its further extension without data loss? for example, it could be 256Mb RAM and 400Gb disk space. I don't talk now about location, price and so on.... just wanted to make clear for myself, if such providers exist, I'd like to know an approximate price for this.

Yes there are a lot of providers who let you customize your package so fit your needs.
    www.time4vps.eu is an example
    Last edited by edwardjikeo; 12-28-2014 at 12:41 AM.

vpsdime.com

You can take a look at backupsy...

Regards,
    - Web Alternative
    - [CA / FR / NL / BG] cPanel & DirectAdmin Hosting / Reseller - Managed Server and VPS
    - https://webalternative.net

Yes providers exist, Backupsy is one for example. Checkout the offers section for better deals.
    BIGvps.io | Storage & VPS provider | 50TB+ Mounts
    Need multiple TB's of storage? Ask us!

Checkout backupsy.
    Offshore Web Hosting, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Protect your data & privacy.
    All servers are located in Luxembourg.
    W: beneluxservers.com | E: sales@beneluxservers.com

backupsy is currently on my mind, you could do basic stuff with 512mb RAM and huge storage room.

If you're looking for just storage, I'd suggest looking into Amazon S3. It's got a scalable API that may just be right for your purposes.

Also, it has a free tier of 5GB for the first year - and you pay for what you use
    Last edited by Zenin; 12-29-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added free

Quote Originally Posted by Zenin View Post
    If you're looking for just storage, I'd suggest looking into Amazon S3. It's got a scalable API that may just be right for your purposes.

Also, it has a free tier of 5GB for the first year - and you pay for what you use
    I'm going to second that -- S3 is definitely an optimal option - in addition to what @Zenin said, there are various storage tiers on S3, depending on what you need.

Well, first I thought about ordering a VPS and installing OwnCloud. But now I realize that Amazon S3 as well as Amazon Glacier would be much cheaper and more reliable than a simple VPS. While VPS is being controlled by me, Amazon is controlled by much more qualified ingenieurs, so... this is a win anyway

Also, if you go to any events sponsored by AWS, you're likely to find them giving away AWS credit .

I've managed to obtain a total of AWS$1,400 that way

I love S3 for my backups. Only about 20gigs on my VPS, but just costing me 50 cents a month.

For backups I tend to use dropbox, a friend of mine that works there gave me a coupon for storage there, but S3 is definitely easier to integrate from a developer standpoint.

I use the "big disk" from EcoVPS.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by Looie View Post
    vpsdime.com
    Signed up for their storage VPS yesterday and while everything works nicely, some disk space is missing, which I assume is from overselling the disk.

PHP Code:
    root@backup:~# df -h
    Filesystem         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/ploop36952p1  493G  2.2G  465G   1% / 
    Not a huge deal as I won't be using up that much space anytime soon, but still bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsunami View Post
    Signed up for their storage VPS yesterday and while everything works nicely, some disk space is missing, which I assume is from overselling the disk.

PHP Code:
    root@backup:~# df -h
    Filesystem         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/ploop36952p1  493G  2.2G  465G   1% / 
    Not a huge deal as I won't be using up that much space anytime soon, but still bugs me.
    That space is reserved for super user (5% of the blocks) since it's a ploop image.

Overselling doesn't work that way.

I stand corrected. Didn't know about this reserved space. My apologies.

----- Ignore that part please, was correctly answered while posting this -----
    Thats maybe just the typical "We sell a 500GB HD and we actually mean 500.000.000.000 byte?
    Because I was just here to check again for that hoster as my new Backup Hoster ^^"

Serverian, i have a question (had written you lately an email cuz i didn't knew how active you are here.

We have a server with more than 400 Accounts and unzipped Diskspace usage of roughly 190 - 200 GB. Compressed in Backups i am not sure where i will end up, as we have never used the Backup process.
    Could you recommend a Disk Size for 3-6 Monthly Backups? 750GB sufficent?

Kind regards
    Sascha
    Last edited by caylean; 01-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caylean View Post
    Thats maybe just the typical "We sell a 500GB HD and we actually mean 500.000.000.000 byte?
    Because I was just here to check again for that hoster as my new Backup Hoster ^^"

Serverian, i have a question (had written you lately an email cuz i didn't knew how active you are here.

We have a server with more than 400 Accounts and unzipped Diskspace usage of roughly 190 - 200 GB. Compressed in Backups i am not sure where i will end up, as we have never used the Backup process.

Kind regards
    Sascha
    What would be your backup frequency and retention cycle? If you are going to compress them then you are not probably going to use incremental backups. In that case, I'd say at least 1500-1750GB for daily backups and a week retention.

Kind regards
    Sascha
    Many people overlook the space required by the OS to organize things and make stuff "just work..."

What size are you looking at for your backups, and where are their originals located?
    BIGvps.io | Storage & VPS provider | 50TB+ Mounts
    Need multiple TB's of storage? Ask us!

The 190-210GiG of files were whole Server +/- 10GB in other small partitions.

I think the real uncompressed amount of files will be around 80-90 GiG, but thats plain estimation *coughs*

No real idea how to get together whats really there in files that will get backed up.

Plan is ONE monthly backup.. compressed properbly and only stored for times of need. Simple, easy, nothing too fancy.

Thanks

I think the real uncompressed amount of files will be around 80-90 GiG, but thats plain estimation *coughs* No real idea how to get together whats really there in files that will get backed up.

Plan is ONE monthly backup.. compressed properbly and only stored for times of need. Simple, easy, nothing too fancy.

Thanks
    Oh, I see. Then sure 750GB should be fine. If not, we can always upgrade.

The storage VPS's at hosthatch are good value:
    https://hosthatch.com/storage-vps
    LampNetworks - Affordable Web Hosting
    Hosting locations in United Kingdom & United States
    cPanel+Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime SLA | Daily & Monthly Backups
    Custom Hosting Plans Available - Select and Pay only for the Quotas YOU need

Vultr also offer KVM storage plans from their New Jersey location.

Just created a 750G Storgage Hosting Pack to VPSDime, pending but i do believe that won't last long ... Adding a hostname was.. well lets see.. seems kind of useless to me as it isn't even connected to the server in any way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast