Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

i dont want to move.

High, as you can tell from the review i wrote about 1&1, i really really dont want to move, but im fed up with the measly 1 mysql database they offer. Could anyone please reccomend me a free host which has mysql databases? ive been looking, but i cant find any at the moment. all i would really like is the hostname for the databse and the username and password, this way i can keep my account with 1&1 and use the free database remotely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Saqib Mughal
    SMPhones - ...the UK's unbeatable online mobile phone shop - www.smphones.co.uk

A free hosting with mysql...There are a few, but the downside is, they are slow, each query has to be sent to a remote server and back, they slow down your site alot...Why not just use table prefixes....
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

well....at current i have 466 tables in my database. i do use prefixes, but with so many tables it just gets TOO messy and when goin manually into the database (by manually i mean through phpmyadmin) its a nightmare gettin down to the right table.

Also, if i use a php script from the internet, a lot of them don't use prefixes, so i end up scripts overwriting tables that were made by other scripts. its just too messy. Plus the fact that my site uses php nuke, and nuke uses LOADS of table anyway, i woudl just really prefer more then one database.

is it possible to have mysql, php, asp and mssql/access database on one server? or am i just being stupid? lol

Can you afford very cheap hosting? You can get what you are looking for for under $10/year, pretty close to free

$10 a YEAR?? i dont mind that! where i can i get this?

Im not allowed to say due to the site rules unfortunately.

Jesus. On average we pay about $10 to see a movie in the theater in California. How could anyone survive by charging only $10 per year for an account?
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

by providing support by discussion forum only, and selling lots every day.

Yup. I made big money from these $10/yr accounts in europe Look here; http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd....php?forumid=4

i can't find them

please could splashhost.com or shoey email me these websites? or pm me with them? thanks.

saqibisdon@hotmail.com

Make sure that the cheap packages you are looking at allow remote access for MySQL.

Another issue to be concerned about is your bandwidth at the cheap host. If you have over 400 tables in a database I would guess that you use quite a few database driven applications, every access to the MySQL server is transfer that will be counted on your cheap host bandwidth allocation.

My advice is find a host that will give you a more generous amount of MySQL databases and move everything over to them...

Originally posted by saqibisdon i can't find them
    ..psst...Alan, throw the hint a little harder...he didn't get it...

You uhm... might want to try ripplehost.com

Originally posted by Pilgrim
    You uhm... might want to try ripplehost.com
    Have you tried them before?

You and saqibisdon need to take a workshop "understanding subtle hints".

Your wife and Alan will appreciate you for it

that was a bit harsh Pilgrim.....i'm 17

Since I am not married that throws the wife bit out the window. What I do understand are the rules regarding the recommendations of hosting providers at WHT.

Well that makes three single guys posting on a messageboard.
    What has my life come to.

Better look for affordalbe web host - for a little year fee you'll be able to get what you want. There are a lot of affordable hosts over there - make a research. Good luck

Originally posted by HQHost
    Better look for affordalbe web host - for a little year fee you'll be able to get what you want. There are a lot of affordable hosts over there - make a research. Good luck
    correct try http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php

cheers

Originally posted by Hurga
    Jesus. On average we pay about $10 to see a movie in the theater in California. How could anyone survive by charging only $10 per year for an account?
    DSL hosting + no over head.... the sky is the limit
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Greetings:

"DSL hosting + no over head.... the sky is the limit"

1. DSL, like cable, is a shared network.

Bandwidth speeds often vary tremendously; and as the people on the network grow, the speeds go down.

2. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall a single DSL provider having any service level agreements for network uptime.

3. Because DSL and cable are shared networks, there tends to be more hackers on them. The DSL neighbor of yours could be a hacker; and they just might be sniffing your line.

4. There is no redundancy in DSL; it is not like you are going to have BGP4.

5. No overhead? Does that mean the people running the company work for free? If it is just you, does that mean you have zero value? Does it mean you are worth absolutely nothing?

Does that mean that if the company can grow, you cannot afford to hire anyone that requires money for pay?

Does that mean if you run out of room in your house, you cannot expand anywhere due to lack of capital?

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

DSL hosting + no over head.... the sky is the limit
    I hope he was just kidding...

well..i have found http://freesql.org/

i don't know if they are any good though. does anybody have any experience with them?

you can only create databases through their signup form and not through phpmyadmin, but from what i understand you can sign up as many times as you want...i think anyway.

i haven't had any time to test them properly, i have tried them remotely and they do work, but i want to see how fast it is but i dont want to put any live script on my site using them, just incase they arent that fast or they mess up or you know, anything else like that.

anyway, just want to know if anyone knows about their capabilities?

if not, then yeah, i'll just go for paid hosting...oh yeah, does anyone know of any mysql specific hosts? for example, someone offereing remote mysql databases to buy> rahter than a complete hosting package.

Thanks in advance

Saqib Mughal

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

"DSL hosting + no over head.... the sky is the limit"

1. DSL, like cable, is a shared network.

Bandwidth speeds often vary tremendously; and as the people on the network grow, the speeds go down.

2. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall a single DSL provider having any service level agreements for network uptime.

3. Because DSL and cable are shared networks, there tends to be more hackers on them. The DSL neighbor of yours could be a hacker; and they just might be sniffing your line.

4. There is no redundancy in DSL; it is not like you are going to have BGP4.

5. No overhead? Does that mean the people running the company work for free? If it is just you, does that mean you have zero value? Does it mean you are worth absolutely nothing?

Does that mean that if the company can grow, you cannot afford to hire anyone that requires money for pay?

Does that mean if you run out of room in your house, you cannot expand anywhere due to lack of capital?

Thank you.
    Look at what he charges. In my opinion, he's not in for the long haul. But anyways, back on topic.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast