Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[FOR HIRE] Sr. Sys admin, programmer, L1/L2/L3 support w/ 12+ years experience.

I am available for hire immediately for a telecommute position. I am unwilling to relocate at this time, but will consider a position with a company where, if things work out, I would be willing to relocate after 6+ months. I have over 12 years experience as a systems administrator, programmer and support (level 1, 2 and 3) for web hosting providers. I have acted as Sr. admin and lead programmer for some companies and am able to work on my own or in a team environment. My primary focus and experience is on Linux Redhat, Redhat Enterprise (RHEL), Fedora and CentOS.

The last company I worked for that I think people here would know about, was HostingZoom, Inc., where I was with them for over a year, and I was the original and first senior administrator, and helped start and design the company's servers infrastructure in planning how and what everything would run, designed and coded scripts to make those things happen, and did all of the admin and support staff hiring, created staff, support and administrator policies, coordinated projects and tasks, and created a lot of in-house server clustering solutions for various services and staff features to make support and admin tasks easier. The job entailed far too many things to list here, and I had left them in late 2006, but you get a general idea of what I did at a company some people at WHT might at least recognize anyway. Since then, I've been working with some other company's and haven't looked back. Now, I'm seeking a position with a hosting company again, which I can help grow and do my part to ensure they have a stellar reputation.

I have experience in shell without control panels, as well as a great deal of experience with control panels such as Cpanel/WHM. In fact, I've worked on the backend code of the Cpanel/WHM interfaces fixing and modifying or adding scripts and modules. I am not your general Cpanel/WHM admin whom has just "used" the interface, in other words. My experience with interfaces, tools, programs and protocols are too broad to list, but cover all the common services and softwares such as Apache, MySQL, kernels, Exim, Qmail, BIND, TinyDNS/djbdns, POP, IMAP, SMTP, SSL, SSH, ProFTPD, Pure-FTPD, CGI, iptables/firewalls, PHP, Perl, shell scripts (bash, csh), tcpwrappers, and too many others to list, with modifying, installing, and configuring them.

I am comfortable providing level 1, 2, 3 (admin) support via email, phone, live chat, forums, ticket/helpdesk interfaces, AIM, ICQ, etc., by working with a team, or being a team leader or just being part of a team. I can create interfaces, programs, clients, servers, and various scripts to add features, fix issues, create solutions and automate tasks, or just make tasks easier via a controlled and secured environment.

My experience ranges from creating tutorials for users/clients as well as for staff, to coding scripts and programs. From support level 1 to admin tasks and support for shared, reseller and dedicated server users. From installing and configuring things such as kernels, web server configurations, limits and security settings, to tweaks, fixes, upgrades and additions. From process monitoring, to tracking of abuse issues (attacks, spam, etc.) and preventing such issues. Once again, I have a varied and broad range of skills and experience, from the first level of support, to high level admin tasks, to designing infrastructures for every aspect of an entire company, to programming control panels, forums and kernel patches and everything in between and beyond.

I can do sales and billing, but would prefer to be doing administration and/or programming. Prefer Linux distributions and to not work in a Windows environment (sorry). I am seeking a full or part time position that will be long lasting, I am not looking for free hosting or meager wages. I will discuss desired wages if someone is interested, but expect it to be over $20/hr., as I'm a real admin with a lot of experience and skills. I am the type of person that will put in extra time if it's needed and help when I'm around off shift, though I'm not looking to work 16 hour days every day of the week, of course. I am a serious and dedicated, and loyal contractor/employee and wish to get into a long term position where I can help the company grow and be more successful. I desire a stable relationship with a company that has a good head on its collective shoulders (not people with their head in the clouds or worse).

I am in the United States, I am over 18 years of age, being in my 20's and want to drive home the point that I am looking for a good position with a good company and don't wish to waste time with a per-ticket position or something that's one "as needed" and sporadic, nor any one-time positions unless they are a contract that lasts at least 6 months. I have a lot of experience, knowledge and ideas and suggestions that can result in a stable and secure web hosting service, with good security and no load issues, and have developed patches, modifications, configurations/settings and various solutions to accomplish this with good success. If you're a serious host and know what you need and are considering my services, please contact me via email (rob2132@charter.net) or AIM at rob2132 (or PM me here on WHT). Regardless if you're a new start up or a well established company, I believe I can play an integral and positive part in your company. Please contact me for work history, references or just a general outline of what I have done or can do for you. Thank you.

I'd just like to say that I know Rob personally (he was just here in my office earlier today) and have worked with him many times throughout the years and consider him a good friend and a great admin (I'm surely only one of many that think this). I am able to provide a positive (and raving) reference any time and any potential employers are welcome to contact me regarding that. So, please feel free to use my name as one of your references!

I also have a resume available upon request and if there is further interest after being emailed or AIM'ed, I can provide my phone number so we can speak in more detail (or I can call you). Thank you.

Rob,

I sent you an email last week but I haven't heard back yet.

Hi Rob,

Please send your resume, references, and your desired wages/salary/compensation to jobs [at] fluidhosting.com. Looking forward to it.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

If you haven't already found a position, I'd like to see your resume + salary requirements: bdiaz [at] site5.com. We have immediate openings available.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Hi everyone. I've not yet been placed with any company, so I am still available for hire and shall be until I update this thread to state otherwise. I was out of town for a short (and unexpected) admin work related contract, which I've been doing on and off while I seek alternative employment (tired of traveling all of the time), so I'm just looking over a lot of the recent contacts and positions. I will be getting to everyone over the next day or two. I also see this post was just made sticky. Thanks for your patience, I'll be contacting everyone very shortly.

Where in the USA are you located?

I'm in Chico, California.

Rob i am still looking fo you have MSN?

I've added you on AIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2132 View Post
    Hi everyone. I've not yet been placed with any company, so I am still available for hire and shall be until I update this thread to state otherwise. I was out of town for a short (and unexpected) admin work related contract, which I've been doing on and off while I seek alternative employment (tired of traveling all of the time), so I'm just looking over a lot of the recent contacts and positions. I will be getting to everyone over the next day or two. I also see this post was just made sticky. Thanks for your patience, I'll be contacting everyone very shortly.
    I still didn't get any response whatsoever.

I apologize for the lack of responses. I didn't check this site due to only a few PM responses initially, and only saw this thread a little bit ago. Thus, I was responding over email, but I was working a contract out of town for a couple of more weeks (again), responding to the emails over Charter's webmail interface (which I never used) and it wasn't sending emails out, which I only found out the hard way by reading this thread.

I'm now back home using my own system, which is on a dedicated line and doesn't exhibit these problems (I'm using my own email client now). I also should not be doing any further contracted work out of the area, so responses will not be an issue. Once again, I apologize for this, I had no idea the emails weren't going out of their webmail system while I was out of town on a contract and it's quite embarrassing to realize only now.

I understand the poor impression that can give, but I didn't have the ability to effectively follow up with every response I had personally to have noticed that their email system was not sending the emails out (the last thing I'd do is pay for a sticky post to end up not responding to potential offers, after all).

I hope that clarifies, and I'll re-send emails from my home office (if it's not too late). That said, please keep any IM's or emails (or PM's) of interest coming my way. Thanks so much.

Hello Rob,

If you're still seeking a position, please drop me a line with your resume, references, and salary expectations.

Kind Regards.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

Hi,

Yes, I am still available. I just left a company I gave a shot at. I had accepted an offer the other month and worked at a company for 5 weeks before deciding to leave last week (the shortest duration I've ever been with anyone before).

The money wasn't great and there were elements that were not clearly outlined in the duties I'd be performing. I felt I ended up having higher expectations and demands than the salary justified and I was being constantly micro-managed by a non-admin oriented owner prioritizing my work day to the point where I was being told to drop one task to perform another, and so on.

Overall, I didn't feel it was a conducive environment and I felt my skills and time would be better utilized at another company. Therefore, I am currently still seeking a position and looking for that "other" company.

I've had a few good offers recently (a far shot better than where I was a week ago) and am talking to a company on Monday or Tuesday, and it looks promising (I like these guys all around), but you never know. Until I sign on and it's a definite deal, I am still seeking offers (we still have to see if I'm the right fit for them, and them for me, after all).

I appreciate everyone's time and interest very much.

PS: Please note, I've had a lot of people contacting me about offers that turn out to be partnership offers. Some are better than others, but at this time, unless someone is willing to provide a salaried position until the company where to profit enough to equal or surpass the salary, I will have to pass on those offers.

After all, I can just put in a few hundred per month myself to start a hosting business and not end up with less profits in the long run. That is, there's really no incentive to partner with anyone, as much as I appreciate the offers, unless it pays a salary, otherwise I would just put in the time and money myself anyway and not risk disagreements about operations, ideas, features, data centers, platforms and services, etc.

So, please, no more partnership offers, unless you can reliably pay a set and stable salary until the business were to profit enough for my percentage to equal or surpass that salary (and you should have a time frame in mind that you'll allow before you call it a lost cause (so I don't risk ending up spending time and efforts only to end up seeking employment again a few weeks or months later if it doesn't become as successful as you hope)). I hope that's more clear and will save some time. Thanks.

Hi Rob. Send me a resume please.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

Hey everyone. I'm still looking for a position. I had to take some short term contracts in the meantime, on and off. Not a lot of people seem to be hiring full time or want to pay very small wages (usually citing the economy). I'd like to get something permanent going, so please contact me if you have any interest. There are a lot of things my posts didn't cover and I can make things happen. I'd really like to get into a full time position, but might consider part time as well. Thanks.

Hi Rob,

Send me your resume.

nickn@midphase.com
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

I will settle for a lower wage than the original quoted $20/hr., if that's a problem. I realize the economy is slow, but apparently $20/hr. ($38K/yr.) is asking too much at this point. I've not worked for less than $25/hr. in the last 8+ years, but if things are that bad, I'm going to have to take what I have to take. I need a job.

I'm really selling myself and my skills dirt cheap here, but I will accept any serious offers as low as $15/hr. It has to be full time! (please remember, I've made at least $40/hr. full time the last several years. This economy and job seeking is killing me here! You are getting an unreal wage for someone with my experience!)

PS: I've had some real, genuine offers, but they required I would relocate. It's not that I'm opposed to relocation, but I'd want to ensure job security and a long term future with a company before I moved (being several months working there and us agreeing it's something we both want to do), but I'm not willing to relocate for such small wages).

Email me at rob2132@charter.net or hit me up on AIM at rob2132. We can chat on the phone as well. Seriously, I am in a situation where I need a job soon!
    Last edited by Rob2132; 10-06-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Rob out of interest could you drop me a line on who you have contacted/contacted you that are not even willing to pay $20/hour ?

To be perfectly frank you should not be looking at less than $20/hour and if you really can't find anything then time to look at another similar industry. Don't undersell yourself.

I am actually rather shocked that you can't even find $20/hour.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

I really wouldn't want to say who wouldn't pay $20/hr, and I have had offers for more, but required relocation immediately, which I can't do and am not willing to do. It's too much of a risk to just relocate without having some existing history and working relationship with a company.

So, I'll have to drop my wage expectations if people aren't or can't pay more. It sucks, but I have to get a job. I can provide other similar services, but the same issue exists with pay. So, I'll have to settle for whatever I can get at this point. I am also surprised at the difficulty of a normal salary, but the economy is worse than it has been in 20 years, so I suppose I have to work through it like everyone else. For now, I'll just have to take whatever I can get.

I've had some contact, but nothing solid yet (and still most people want someone to relocate ASAP). I don't know if many of the original viewers of this thread were aware I would take less of a salary if needed (I doubt many re-read it or saw my updates). Please consider contacting me if you're interested. Thanks.

Rob,

Are you still available? If so, please contact me (PM or email). Thanks.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Hey guys, I haven't been to WHT for a while now, and wasn't aware of the (another?) exploit, or them restoring the older posts/threads. I did find employment a while ago, but I can recommend someone just as qualified as myself. This sticky was removed a couple of months ago, but I guess it went back to a sticky when they restored the older backups? Anyway, I am happily in a position with a company I've been with a few months now. I do have a trusted friend and respected member of WHT that I know to be looking for work (or looking soon) that I could recommend though, so PM me if you're in need of a good admin, support guy or programmer, and I'll pass his info to you (I don't want to post it all over WHT without an okay, and I'm sure he'll make his own job seeking posting otherwise when he's ready to, if he does). Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast