Smile How does web hosting work?

I'm a newbie to web hosting and I'd like to know how do websites work...

How do web hosting companies and their web servers connect to the internet?

When I type in a website url, how does it find its way and retreive the HTML for the website and how does a website url translate to an IP address?

Are ISPs all connected to one another? Because there are more than 3 isps in my area and only one plug for the coaxial cable...

And what I really want to know is, say if I don't want to pay a web host like Bluehost to host my website, how can I host it myself? I know it's gonna cost a huge amount of money but I'd like to know how it all works...

Quote Originally Posted by johndeer65 View Post
    how can I host it myself? I know it's gonna cost a huge amount of money but I'd like to know how it all works...
    The best DIY way to do it would be to colocate your own hardware to a data center near your area/willing to ship over to. That's way your in control while still being able to completely rely on their infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMine View Post
    The best DIY way to do it would be to colocate your own hardware to a data center near your area/willing to ship over to. That's way your in control while still being able to completely rely on their infrastructure.
    How does a web server connect to the internet?

How does a web server connect to the internet?
    Just like your computer connecting to the internet.
    Mind you some ISPs don't allow you to run servers on home internet so if you do, you might get fined or whatever their penalty is.
    Cloudoo | Your Web Hosting Guru
    Very solid Shared and Reseller Hosting
    NginX, Daily Remote Backup, Softaculous, cPanel
    https://www.cloudoo.net

You can rent a server from data center if you want to host it by yourself but you will need to have technical knowledge to manage server. That is why many users prefer web hosting provider as they offer free server administration along with their hosting plan which would be cheaper than actually renting or co-locating a server.

Hi johndeer.

As per your questions:

1. Web servers connect to the internet through an ISP, in turn allowing you to connect with the web server.

2. When you type in a URL, you are essentially telling your browser to connect to a web server, where the URLs hostname (domain.com) is located/pointed at, and the web server is sending your requested file (domain.com/file.html) back to your browser.

3. You choose one ISP of your choice. Different areas provide different ISPs, which offer different speeds, services, etc...

4. If you want to host your own, you will need your own hardware, or you can always establish a web server on your local machine, such as WAMP or XAMPP, but like clse pointed out, some ISPs do not allow it.

I hope this clears things up.
    Morgan Klaif
    Business Manager / System Administrator / IT
    MorganKlaif28 [at] comcast [dot] net

Are ISPs all connected to one another? Because there are more than 3 isps in my area and only one plug for the coaxial cable...

all most all normal collocations has optical connection to the global internet

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HostIntro View Post
    Hi johndeer.

As per your questions:

1. Web servers connect to the internet through an ISP, in turn allowing you to connect with the web server.

2. When you type in a URL, you are essentially telling your browser to connect to a web server, where the URLs hostname (domain.com) is located/pointed at, and the web server is sending your requested file (domain.com/file.html) back to your browser.

3. You choose one ISP of your choice. Different areas provide different ISPs, which offer different speeds, services, etc...

4. If you want to host your own, you will need your own hardware, or you can always establish a web server on your local machine, such as WAMP or XAMPP, but like clse pointed out, some ISPs do not allow it.

I hope this clears things up.
    Ok thanks

Read this: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/in...s/internet.htm
    The top picture is more useful than the text.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||