Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Wow. A new level of "lack of customer respect" has been reached.

Before hosting with [ThisWebHost](http://thiswebhost.com), you should see this first.

Look at this thread and read everything:

http://www.reddit.com/r/web_design/c...hiswebhostcom/

And look at reason #3 of why to host with them:

http://www.thiswebhost.com/reasons.html
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Is that where you where hosting with? Never heard of "this web host."

I have to say, there's got to be more to the story here. What exactly happened originally that caused the dispute?

Precisely, there's more to the story, but we can't and won't go into detail because of privacy.

Haters just want to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesR View Post
    Sort of a childish statement there, no offense.

Sorry, but I think both sides could have been more professional here.

Deleting a customer's account and removing their backups is quite rash, I don't see how that's advantageous in any way to your business.

If you want to terminate a customer's account, you should at least give them proper notice of this.

You need to tell the full story. To me it looks like there's something missing.

It's just my perception

Quote Originally Posted by sam_basshost View Post
    Is that where you where hosting with? Never heard of "this web host."
    No, I don't host with them. I never heard of them either, but given how many hosts are out there these days, It doesn't surprise me.

Precisely, there's more to the story, but we can't and won't go into detail because of privacy.

Is there a way you could explain it that doesn't sacrifice the privacy of others? In all honesty, the reputation of your host is going down the toilet given the amount of publicity that that post is getting. I would be very interested to hear your side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Sort of a childish statement there, no offense.
    None taken. I used it for its simplistic and perfect summary of the entire situation.

Deleting a customer's account and removing their backups is quite rash, I don't see how that's advantageous in any way to your business.
    It's not meant to be advantageous. You break our terms, then be prepared for us to enforce them. We're not in the habit of providing support, service or backups to customers who are directly abusive to members of staff.

If you want to terminate a customer's account, you should at least give them proper notice of this.
    Not when they break our terms.

I understand where you are coming from, but if you haven't learned it already you'll soon learn that sometimes you can't make a rash move like that, even if warranted based on your terms.

I've been at this for several years now and can tell you while I understand your frustration (I'm sure dealing with these customers wasn't fun) that isn't a smart way to do business. The publicity this move has generated is probably a way greater issue than just dealing with the customers in a less rash manner.

Best way to handle things like this? Tell the customer nicely that you don't think you can continue the business relationship with them, give them a period of time to get their data and move out. Perhaps even refund them for the time remaining on their account, since you are the one doing the cancellation. Yes, it's true that the customer may have been abusive to your staff and broken some terms, but you don't fight fires with yet another fire.

Hopefully you learn from this.

I understand where you are coming from, but if you haven't learned it already you'll soon learn that sometimes you can't make a rash move like that, even if warranted based on your terms.

I've been at this for several years now and can tell you while I understand your frustration (I'm sure dealing with these customers wasn't fun) that isn't a smart way to do business. The publicity this move has generated is probably a way greater issue than just dealing with the customers in a less rash manner.

Best way to handle things like this? Tell the customer nicely that you don't think you can continue the business relationship with them, give them a period of time to get their data and move out. Perhaps even refund them for the time remaining on their account, since you are the one doing the cancellation. Yes, it's true that the customer may have been abusive to your staff and broken some terms, but you don't fight fires with yet another fire.

Hopefully you learn from this.
    Words of wisdom. Listen to layer0.

Please don't try and tell me how to do business. The minute someone swears at me, or a member of our staff, they automatically waive any "customer courtesy" we would be willing to offer. If you think we're alone in this, you're wrong.

No frustration here at all. You swear/abuse us, you can go elsewhere. It's not the first time, and we're certainly not unique in that - I've read many posts on these forums from others who have done the same thing.

Regarding the publicity, honestly I'm not phased in the slightest. We've had more than enough communication from people who quite correctly believe there's more to the story here than is published by the two guys who now have a vendetta. They're quite right.

*snip rest*

EDIT: What's amusing about the entire situation is most people believe that they should be able to treat the hosting provider like crap, and even swear at them if necessary, without any recourse. We enforce our terms and we're made out to be the bad guys and we "deleted data for no reason", etc.

Telling the customer to go elsewhere is one thing, but terminating their account and not offering any backup is another altogether.

When a customer is swearing at you or your staff, they're obviously frustrated. If your response back to them is instantly suspending their account and then terminating it, don't you think that's going to make them even more frustrated and increase the chances of them lashing out like this? How does that fix the issue at all? Responding rashly solves nothing. I can tell you from experience that issues like this are where "customer courtesy" is needed the most.

But you can run your business however you wish, people can make their own decisions as to whether you handled this right or wrong. And I'm not saying you were actually "wrong" as you likely did everything by your terms. I just don't think it was a good business move.

EDIT: What's amusing about the entire situation is most people believe that they should be able to treat the hosting provider like crap, and even swear at them if necessary, without any recourse. We enforce our terms and we're made out to be the bad guys and we "deleted data for no reason", etc.
    If you handled it as I described above, you'd have none of these problems. Hopefully you see what I mean.

Regarding the publicity, honestly I'm not phased in the slightest. We've had more than enough communication from people who quite correctly believe there's more to the story here than is published by the two guys who now have a vendetta. They're quite right.

*snip rest*

In the end, it doesn't matter who is right or wrong. It doesn't matter who are "the good guys" and "the bad guys". What matters is what affect this publicity will have on your business; and it should phase you. People are gullible and don't know any better. If you google your company name, this now pops up on the first page. The general public will take one glance at this and then turn away and never turn back. How can you not care about what people are saying about your business?

Please don't try and tell me how to do business. The minute someone swears at me, or a member of our staff, they automatically waive any "customer courtesy" we would be willing to offer. If you think we're alone in this, you're wrong.

No frustration here at all. You swear/abuse us, you can go elsewhere. It's not the first time, and we're certainly not unique in that - I've read many posts on these forums from others who have done the same thing.

*snip rest*

In one aspect you're right; there's no excuse for a lack of respect towards a provider.

However, as a provider, we need to be the "bigger man" and extend the courtesy towards uncourteous customer to find a new provider. Even though they may not respect you as their provider, you need to suck up your pride and do what's right.

[QUOTE=layer0;7632179]Telling the customer to go elsewhere is one thing, but terminating their account and not offering any backup is another altogether.

When a customer is swearing at you or your staff, they're obviously frustrated. If your response back to them is instantly suspending their account and then terminating it, don't you think that's going to make them even more frustrated and increase the chances of them lashing out like this? How does that fix the issue at all? Responding rashly solves nothing. I can tell you from experience that issues like this are where "customer courtesy" is needed the most.
    We're going to have to agree to disagree. You may want to turn it around and get that customer on your "good side", we on the other hand would rather immediately terminate the business relationship. It's obvious where it's going, and if you want to allow them to continue to attempt to dictate the terms of your business relationship then by all means feel free.

But you can run your business however you wish, people can make their own decisions as to whether you handled this right or wrong. And I'm not saying you were actually "wrong" as you likely did everything by your terms. I just don't think it was a good business move.
    And that's your opinion.

As a hosting provider your goal is to ensure someone's data is available. Suspending folks & then going a step further and deleting their backups is not only rash, it's despicable.

We all fire clients (and I recommend firing often, with ample notification, of course) -- but causing them damage as though you've got a personal vendetta against them is appalling. Always take the high road, separate emotion from employment & approach things that way.

(And yes, you'll state I've got some kind of personal vendetta against you yadda-yadda: I don't.)

We're going to have to agree to disagree. You may want to turn it around and get that customer on your "good side", we on the other hand would rather immediately terminate the business relationship. It's obvious where it's going, and if you want to allow them to continue to attempt to dictate the terms of your business relationship then by all means feel free.
    No, the point is that if you want to end the relationship, try to do so on good terms, or at least the best terms possible. Deleting the customers data sort of makes ending on good terms impossible...the lash out from the customer is expected here.

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    No, I don't host with them. I never heard of them either, but given how many hosts are out there these days, It doesn't surprise me.
    If this is the case then why did you come here and create this thread. If you are not the client then you do not have 100% of the story.

Threads like this annoy me when people are just out to tarnish the name of a hosting company.
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

No, the point is that if you want to end the relationship, try to do so on good terms, or at least the best terms possible. Deleting the customers data sort of makes ending on good terms impossible...the lash out from the customer is expected here.
    Again, allow them to dictate your terms

Quote Originally Posted by railto View Post
    If this is the case then why did you come here and create this thread. If you are not the client then you do not have 100% of the story.

Threads like this annoy me when people are just out to tarnish the name of a hosting company.
    To be fair, the thread was really just a link to a post on reddit. The issue was truly already publicized.

Just to clarify, the person who had their data removed (including backups) was e-mailed around 15 minutes earlier with the same message as their friend; their account had been suspended and a backup was available for them on request.

Once this person begin swearing at us and abusing it, this right was revoked.

Just to clarify, the person who had their data removed (including backups) was e-mailed around 15 minutes earlier with the same message as their friend; their account had been suspended and a backup was available for them on request.

Once this person begin swearing at us and abusing it, this right was revoked.
    You do realize that if you don't provide these folks with their backups & domains, the internet is going to fund your economic destruction, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    You do realize that if you don't provide these folks with their backups & domains, the internet is going to fund your economic destruction, correct?
    No smiley? Surely this is sarcasm, right?

The customer has full access to their domains, and I even e-mailed them to advise them to transfer elsewhere as we would no longer be supporting them.

No, you should just decide the terms that are best for you and your business. I don't see how this negative publicity and lash out from ex-customers is good for your business.

I honestly have never heard of a provider who first terminates the account and then goes the extra mile in deleting backups of the account too. It shows that you're bringing emotion into this...you're obviously angry at the customer and issue as a whole. Frankly, I don't blame you, but rash moves have consequences. This was obviously a lose-lose situation. The customer lost their data, and you got negative publicity for your company.

That's your raw pride talking.

You went ahead and settled for a lose-lose deal. Aim ALWAYS for a win-win.

I'm with layer0 on this one.

Watch The Godfather and pay attention closely. Best business lessons ever.
    Last edited by Raenk; 08-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast