Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • .nu

8 57.14%
  • .ws

6 42.86%

.nu or .ws for generic domain?

Hi all,

Just wondering on your opinion of what's best (or your favourite).

I personally couldn't decide (that's the point of this thread I guess). I currently own one .nu and one .ws

I think ".nu" sounds cool, yet ".ws" looks like it stands for WebSite (maybe more professional).

Opinions welcome

Thanks,
    Shockuk.

.nu is more professional in my opinion

I don't like both, but .nu sounds better then .ws in my opinion...
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

.ws,

I do not know what .nu is

They're both crap, imho... but I voted anyway

.nu was a big hit here in Sweden. It means "now".

But my feeling is that now the local .se is considered more professional than .nu altough it's quite popular.

i still prefet .com well i voted anyway

I agree with those who dislike both, but these days it seems every .com is taken

In my opinion, I'd rather own e.g. playgames.nu more than randomwordarcade.com - I think it grabs a lot more search engine traffic too.

Quote Originally Posted by shockuk
    I agree with those who dislike both, but these days it seems every .com is taken

In my opinion, I'd rather own e.g. playgames.nu more than randomwordarcade.com - I think it grabs a lot more search engine traffic too.

ya true, nwadays when register .com its alwasy some long names or with "-".

They both are useless
    Domain Maven

You won't get any type in traffic with almost any tld domain other than .com. If you develop a great site and do good seo and get backlinks you'll make it into the search engines which'll give you traffic, with almost any tld, even the crap ones

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    You won't get any type in traffic with almost any tld domain other than .com.
    That is not entirely true at all.

I'd rather own RandomArcade.com

It depends on your target audience. If it's in the US, .ws is naturally better.

However, I only have one non-.com/.net name [.bz] And that was only because it was a short one-word domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard H
    That is not entirely true at all.
    Oops... I put the almost in the wrong place

You won't get almost any type in traffic with any tld domain other than .com.

Is that better?

And I would add... the big country level tlds to the .com
    Last edited by stub; 02-19-2006 at 02:00 AM.

I like .ws which is why we decided to become a .ws registrar.
    Mike
    cPanel/WHM scripts at Premier Website Solutions (all your website needs)
    Support young figure skaters in training. juniorskaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    Oops... I put the almost in the wrong place

You won't get almost any type in traffic with any tld domain other than .com.

Is that better?

And I would add... the big country level tlds to the .com
    This is probably true, but the only domains that get any type-in traffic that's worth something are "sex.com" and "shop.com" style one-word domains.

I highly doubt randomnamedwebsite.com will get ANY type-in traffic (or anything worthwhile anyway). I feel that the search-engine bonus you get from a domain name matching what your site is (e.g. webhost.EXT) would far outweigh any possible type-ins you'll get to a random .com...

Out of the two options I'd choose [.nu], although if [.com] isn't available then why not try for [.cc]?

This is probably true, but the only domains that get any type-in traffic that's worth something are "sex.com" and "shop.com" style one-word domains.

I highly doubt randomnamedwebsite.com will get ANY type-in traffic (or anything worthwhile anyway). I feel that the search-engine bonus you get from a domain name matching what your site is (e.g. webhost.EXT) would far outweigh any possible type-ins you'll get to a random .com...
    Nobody types in sex.tk

I prefer the .ws ccTLD
    Toeki - a Fikarast Co., Ltd. business (Accredited .WS & CentralNIC Registrar)
    We accept PayPal, Bank Transfers and all crypto currencies (BTC, ETC, LTC ...etc)
    █Domain Registration http://www.toeki.net

Not to ruffle any single persons feathers but both of these names are worthless in my view. To someone who knows mainly .com and .net I cannot even comprehend what these two extensions denote

Quote Originally Posted by technanny
    Not to ruffle any single persons feathers but both of these names are worthless in my view.
    I've owned a dozen .nu domains when .nu was first introduced. It is an overpriced domain that does nothing for you. I had various generics but after about 4 years, I let them expire and walked. All my .nu's were replaced with .coms/.nets.

I own names in both TLDs, but if I have to choose, I prefer .WS, so I voted for that one.