Generic domain name

I have recently started an online store and have very limited knowledge at present as to how to enhance my search engine rankings.

I have been advised that I should have purchase domain names that are relevant to the products in my store.

Obviously the aim is to get as high as possible in the search engine rankings.

I have noticed on google that if I type into the search bar the words :- eg corgi toys, the first site to appear under the sponsored links is corgi.co.uk, if I type the words arsenal one of the first sites is arsenal.com, get the picture!

If it is the case that domain names directly relating to the search subject appear first or certainly near the top, of google does this mean that if i purchased names relating to products i sell that these would automatically appear first on google?

For example if I sold walkers crisps and purchased the domain name walkers-crisps.co.uk does this mean I would appear first when somebody typed walkers crisps into google?

Surely it cant be that simple!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1
    For example if I sold walkers crisps and purchased the domain name walkers-crisps.co.uk does this mean I would appear first when somebody typed walkers crisps into google?

Surely it cant be that simple!!

Steve
    You're right, it's not that simple. However, Google gives bonus points if your domain has the keyword in it, but it's certainly not bread and butter of your rank. Google takes alot into account. If I can find my info on Google and their ranking system I will post it here, there was a great site explaining it all that I found one day. Keep in mind though, it also makes sense from a user's perspective that your domain be related to your products (or your company name). If I type in "www.dog-accessories.com" and find a site that sells mostly fish tank gear, I'm going to be disappointed, and that site will permanently be out of my memory. When I look through Google's results after a search, I'd be more inclined to click on a domain that looks more relevant than not.

I have been advised that I should have purchase domain names that are relevant to the products in my store.
    Names like, say, amazon.com, google.com, yahoo.com, godaddy.com, altavista.com?

I suppose what I really need to know is the following example:

If I owned a supermarket and I found that domain names relating to what I sell are available should I snap them up.

For example if the following were available:

walkers-crisps.co.uk
    fairy-liquid.co.uk
    cadburys-chocolate.co.uk
    etc etc

Is it benifial to me to have multiple names relating to my goods and If so how whould these be used.

Whould it affect my rankings having multiple domain names linking to my site and if so would it be advisable to link these to the relavant catagory pages in my store

crisps.co.uk, washing-up-liquid.co.uk, chocolates.co.uk are fine.

Put brand names in there and you'll be in trouble with the owner of the trademark or brand name.

Be careful of registering trademark names, you can potentially be sued or lose the domain name
    Domain Maven

yeah, check with the owners of those trademarks first. if you sell their items, they might be ok, but then again they might not.

The names were only examples, what i really want to know is as follows:

If I sold bread and I found that bread.com was available to buy, would it be benificial to me to buy it and link it to the page on my site that showed this item.

If so what is the best way to make use of this domain and would it enhance my search engine rankings?

If so what is the best way to make use of this domain and would it enhance my search engine rankings?
    Like people said above, there's no simple answer to this question. Google ranking has become very serious 'science' recently. The bad thing is, that (like everything 'google') nobody knows everything for sure...

I *suspect* that a domain name with the keyword in it has some effect for better rankings.

You might want to try visit some sites which are writing about these issues professionally.

Anyway, good luck!
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).