VPS Package review

Hello all!

I am about to do the cold, harsh jump into VPS hosting. First, if anyone has any helpful tips for that world, I would be most grateful. I have been doing basement grade free webhosting for several years and I understand that this is an incredibly different beast!

Also, I am wondering if any or all of you could look at some of my proposed plans and let me know what you think. I am trying to make this a demo server to see if their is demand for my vision of VPS. The server will also host my own VM that runs my free webhosting.

Anyways, the server is a 8 core AMD Opteron with 16GB of ram, 2TB disk space (RAID1), 240GB SSD Disk space system and 100MBits unmetered bandwidth. I am using Citrix XEN as the Hypervisor.

I have set aside 5GB of ram for my own purposes, 100GB of SSD, and 700GB of RAID space. I have also limited myself to 50Mbits and 4 cores.

That leaves 10GB Of ram, 1.1 TB of disk space, and 120GB SSD for clients.

So roughly that means (if my math is correct) 1GB of ram for every 10GB of SSD and every 100GB of Disk Space.

Some plans I was messing around with were:

2GB Ram, 2 Cores, 200GB Disk Space, 30GB SSD, 20Mbits, 1 IP, $50/Month
    1.5GBRam, 2 Cores, 150GB Disk Space, 20GB SSD, 10Mbits, 1 IP $35/Month
    1GB Ram, 1 Core, 100GB Disk Space, 10GB SSD, 5MBits, 1 IP $20/Month
    512MB Ram, 1 Core, 50GB Disk Space, 5GB SSD, 2.5Mbits 1IP $10/month

Now to upgrade the specs on your VPS I have set the following pricing scheme.

Extra IP - $5
    Extra 256MB Ram - $5
    Extra 10GB Disk Space - $5
    Extra 1GB SSD Space - $5
    Extra 2.5MBit - $5

Well that's it. What do you think? Does it look competitive? Does it look like a good deal? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

depending on your investments and staff.
    I am guessing that you will provide unmanaged services.
    The plans does looks promising,except for the uplink speed.

having 5mbits or 2.5mbits uplink (i hope its uplink speed), is not very appealing.
    I would suggest you to increase the band speed.
    Shared,Reseller,VPS,Dedicated hosting solutions
    Reliable DotBlock VPS,Dedicated Hosting

Thank you for your comment. Thinking about it, it is a good suggestion. I just really would like to avoid oversaturation.

Do you think a something along this line would be more appealing?

2GB Ram, 2 Cores, 200GB Disk Space, 30GB SSD, 35Mbits, 1 IP, $50/Month
    1.5GBRam, 2 Cores, 150GB Disk Space, 20GB SSD, 20Mbits, 1 IP $35/Month
    1GB Ram, 1 Core, 100GB Disk Space, 10GB SSD, 10MBits, 1 IP $20/Month
    512MB Ram, 1 Core, 50GB Disk Space, 5GB SSD, 5Mbits 1IP $10/month

Right now it will start off as unmanaged, but I am looking into what services I can offer managed without too much time investment. Setting up the services is no issue, its just continued maintenance that could cause problems.
    Benjamin Leavitt
    negative0.net

yaa, these new plans are better.
    best of luck
    Shared,Reseller,VPS,Dedicated hosting solutions
    Reliable DotBlock VPS,Dedicated Hosting

Only problem I saw the uplink speed but you fixed that. Other than that the plans look good. Good luck in your new venture.
    RomesBlog - Dividend Investing, Financial News, Personal Portfolio and More.
    X - Follow me on X.

Quote Originally Posted by bleavitt View Post
    but I am looking into what services I can offer managed without too much time investment.
    Don't offer managed services if you don't have the time and knowledge for it. Just my 2c.
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

My suggestion is to set the same port speed for all packages and add a bandwidth cap for each. That's eye catching.

Thank you all for your reviews!

You are right, I should not offer managed services until I have the time. I have been doing webhosting on my own for several years, setting up and maintaining my Apache, PHP, MySQL, PureFTPD, PowerDNS, Minecraft, IRCD, and even a few gameservers. I am confident I can setup a reliable system, but until I have the time to properly invest in immediate support I should back down on that.

As for the universal port speed but limited bandwdith... I am hesetant about that. First, it is much easier with Xen to setup the port limit by speed. Second, I know when I was looking for a VPS one thing that caught my eye was unmetered bandwidth, and for the audience I am trying to attract, I believe that unmetered is the way to go. That way I can splice up my link over my clients, and they can know that no one person could tax the link for all of them, that they have a large slice to play with. It helps in not overselling the system.
    Benjamin Leavitt
    negative0.net