Hybrid View

virtualmin install help

Hello,

I have followed many guides, especially: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubzsU2hEfuw

I followed his exact steps, and got an error: /tmp directory is mounted noexec. installation cannot continue.

I know you you're supposed to edit something in the /tmp for the noexec but I don't even know the commands to access it without getting permission denied.

I have nothing of SSH commands to access certain files/edit. I followed what was needed through the process, but can someone tell me the exact commands without getting the permission denied?

I have been at this for 2 days.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by digimonrpg; 04-01-2012 at 03:19 PM.

All you need to do m8 is 1st make sure webmin is installed.

Then download the install.sh and upload it to your root directory

then use this command (use putty)

/bin/sh install.sh

follow the on screen functions

once its finished go to

https://yourdomain.com:10000

enter root and your password

It sounds like you are trying to download and run the installation script from your /tmp folder. Try running the script from a subfolder in your home directory instead. You should not modify the noexec,nosuid options set for your /tmp folder, they are set this way to improve security.
    HostingXchange | 100% USA-Based Tech Support
    Shared | Reseller | VPS | Consulting | .NET Development

Top dollar paid for hosting companies. Please contact us...

I'm confused. On the site, it states that you should not have webmin installed... I'm really confused. I tried unmount the /tmp directory, but to no avail... same error

What is M8? how would i install webmin? doesn't it comes with the virtualmin installation through install.sh?

@hostingxchange: i don't have a home directory. how would i do this? I'm just following guides. im quite new to this. sorry

This is what im doing right now: access SSH (putty), vi install.sh, copy the code's contents fro the GPL install.sh file and insert them. set the chmod to 744 and run the install.sh file using ./install.sh. Y to execute. Error: /tmp directory is mounted noexec. installation cannot continue.

Thanks
    Last edited by digimonrpg; 04-01-2012 at 05:40 PM.

My apology for the double post, but i am unable to edit my post and don't want to misinform hostingxchange.

There is a home directory on my vz log in, but how would i accomplish what you're instructing?

thanks

thank you all

i managed to install virtualmin, but having a problem with the DNS server. it's not working.

I get this error when creating a new virtusl server: .. BIND DNS domain failed! : Failed to open /var/named/chroot/var/named/digimonrpg.info.hosts for writing : Bad file descriptor at /usr/libexec/webmin/web-lib-funcs.pl line 1360.

remove bind. use a record from domain panel its instant update and better then dns.

Do you have a link on how to do that? I'm a newbie to virtualmin and SSH. Thanks for replying Survro!