Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeev View Post
    i'm pretty sure they're going through bandcon's own leased lines, as i said before.. perhaps they left autonegotiation on something they shouldn't have.
    Probably saturation if it hasn't been fixed already.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

i'm pretty sure they're going through bandcon's own leased lines, as i said before.. perhaps they left autonegotiation on something they shouldn't have.
    Based on my experience with their 'network team' I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a clue. No less than 3 times in a six month period did they change my port speed to something so wacky that my server came to a crawl. I would keep saying what the problem was but they kept pushing it back on me and then finally hours later admitted they messed up. I personally am glad I don't have any servers there any longer.

Good luck trying to cancel too. It took about a month for them to let me cancel.
    linveo.com | Shared Hosting | AMD and Intel KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers
    Direct Admin | VirtFusion | TenantOS | 24/7/365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    I'm curious if Uber has direct ports with Level3 and Global Crossing through Bandcon's reseller arrangement, or if they're using Bandcon's blended bandwidth product (which has LVL3 and Gblx components in it).

Big difference, and it's hard to tell for sure from rDNS in traceroutes.
    Actually, it's quite easy to tell looking at the BGP routes. No, they do not have direct ports. They have Charter and Bandcon blend.

i think wht knows we can't really blame netriplex/uber for doing this, since they dont know much apparently.

1400 other people who've looked at this post should be asking, "where is bandcon in this post and why aren't they answering?" cause we all know they know what's going on.
    Providing World-Class Unnecessary Comments Since Birth.

i think wht knows we can't really blame netriplex/uber for doing this, since they dont know much apparently.
    I dunno about you, but when I buy from a vendor who doesn't know what they're doing... I blame two people usually.

#1 - Them.
    #2 - After I'm done blaming them, myself - for failing to do my homework.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    I dunno about you, but when I buy from a vendor who doesn't know what they're doing... I blame two people usually.

#1 - Them.
    #2 - After I'm done blaming them, myself - for failing to do my homework.
    and at what point do you fail when you can't read my first point ? if you can't read then you must not be able to do your homework. thought so. go be ignorant somewhere else, they introduced crapcon many many months after most people got service there.

The Uberbandwidth is oversold crap. They have 100's of hidden surprises. This is called "HONEYPOT". You show cheap crap oversold bandwidth and then "Nickel and dime" your clients . On gigabit port you can't have stable 100mbps so what is the point. We cancelled with them months back because route to Europe and Asia is just
    crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!! crap!!

Stay away from them if you don't want big holes in your pocket. Go with FDC or He.net or cogent BUT NOT NETRIPLEX/UBERBANDWIDTH/UBERBW

and at what point do you fail when you can't read my first point ? if you can't read then you must not be able to do your homework. thought so. go be ignorant somewhere else, they introduced crapcon many many months after most people got service there.
    I can see you clearly think you're a terribly important person.

Theres no reason to expect that a commenter would read every post in a thread, immediately prior to posting a comment. Aside from that, your initial post had little/no bearing on what I was stating (I could care less what you pay them, or who they last bought transit from).

There are several free/open route servers (eg. route-views.oregon-ix.net) which *anybody* can easily use to look up a providers connectivity. If you buy from a provider who is effectively single homed (in the functional/operational sense), this is "the norm" in many cases.

Then again, maybe your packets can make it past 5x prepends, and they're "not really single homed operationally", who knows (obviously, not me).
    Last edited by porcupine; 05-06-2010 at 02:33 AM.

I suppose we always know a one of these oversold bandwidth operations would start slowing up and letting people down. They sold that 1GiGe cabinet deal so cheap, their network is bound to be saturated - they need to keep it affordable for them and I'm sure that they'd rather *try* to fix up Bandcon for the sake of keeping pricing - rather than finding an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    I can see you clearly think you're a terribly important person.

Theres no reason to expect that a commenter would read every post in a thread, immediately prior to posting a comment. Aside from that, your initial post had little/no bearing on what I was stating (I could care less what you pay them frankly, or who they last bought transit from).

There are several free/open route servers (eg. route-views.oregon-ix.net) which *anybody* can easily use to look up a providers connectivity. If you buy from a provider who is effectively single homed (in the functional/operational sense), this is "the norm" in many cases.

Then again, maybe your packets can make it past 5x prepends, and they're "not really single homed operationally", who knows (obviously, not me).
    just admit you're wrong, that's all you have to do. dont spoil the thread to try to pretend, getting me rowdy, people like you are the reason why we need ways to kick people's faces through the internet. you dont need to teach me how to use route servers or anything else. once again, they were just fine before they introduced bandcon. i'm sorry that i was unable to read their minds 6 months down the line with the move to that provider. next time i'll use a magic 8 ball.

just admit you're wrong, that's all you have to do.
    Wrong about what exactly? I'm still not following your logic here.

you dont need to teach me how to use route servers or anything else.
    I think it's rather obvious that someone needs to. But I agree, it doesn't need to be me, and this is obviously your mess, not mine.

once again, they were just fine before they introduced bandcon. i'm sorry that i was unable to read their minds 6 months down the line with the move to that provider. next time i'll use a magic 8 ball.
    And I'm sorry that you still didn't get my point. You bought from an operationally single homed provider. My point is simply about due diligence, which is clearly something people are missing nowadays.

Would you buy from a provider who didn't have a backup generator? If you did, would you post flaming rants about how they were off-line, whenever commercial/utility power had a brown-out? Because thats what we're talking about here.

Regardless, I didn't come here to argue, and clearly you have more important things to deal with as well. Enjoy!

I have full confidence in Uber/Netriplex. I've had servers there since February of last year and have never seen any problems like this before. Make them aware that you are having issues if you have not already. A few complaints here and there will not motivate them to fix issues with their network.

porcupine, at this point i'm not going to sit here and quote you.

you insult me by saying i didn't do my homework, fact is that i dont care whether or not they were "single homed", they were going through ATL and i was fine with that, they had so many providers there i couldn't keep track, i remember going through level3 most of the time but i recall seeing a ton of other links. what are you trying to teach me that i dont know ?

seemed like netriplex used to be a lot better when they were "single homed" to atlanta. last i remember is that they were linking up to ashburn or something and this is what's happened.

your argument about a "single home provider" is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    Actually, it's quite easy to tell looking at the BGP routes.
    DOH!!! The sad part is, I looked at them via several route servers and absoltely remember seeing Bandcon's AS in the path. (Bill Engvall's shouting at me, "Here's your sign.") Now I feel like the April Fool.

Oops.

you insult me by saying i didn't do my homework, fact is that i dont care whether or not they were "single homed", they were going through ATL and i was fine with that, they had so many providers there i couldn't keep track, i remember going through level3 most of the time but i recall seeing a ton of other links. what are you trying to teach me that i dont know ?
    How were they going through Level3? Were they actually directly connected, or did they go through another upstream? That's a very important distinction.

I don't quite see why you're so vehemently opposed to using route servers; examining a network's BGP announcements is very important for analysing a network. Some providers claim upstream A, B, C, D when really they are just single homed on provider X. Others just have their list of upstreams out of date. This is very obvious on route-views, but would be very painful to investigate thoroughly using traceroutes or most looking glasses.

You should care if a provider is single homed or not, as that's how you can determine how redundant their connectivity is. Not that single-homed is always bad; personally I think it's better to be single-homed on a good Tier 2 than to multi-home with a few Tier 1's as you get access to a lot more peering. It's also hard to beat the response time of a well staffed 24/7 NOC. However, if that single upstream is not that strong, it can definitely be a major liability.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

I'm not gonna lie, i do remember seeing bandcon in there but i never recall bandcon routes or crappy service for more than half a year

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    How were they going through Level3? Were they actually directly connected, or did they go through another upstream? That's a very important distinction.

I don't quite see why you're so vehemently opposed to using route servers; examining a network's BGP announcements is very important for analysing a network. Some providers claim upstream A, B, C, D when really they are just single homed on provider X. Others just have their list of upstreams out of date. This is very obvious on route-views, but would be very painful to investigate thoroughly using traceroutes or most looking glasses.

You should care if a provider is single homed or not, as that's how you can determine how redundant their connectivity is. Not that single-homed is always bad; personally I think it's better to be single-homed on a good Tier 2 than to multi-home with a few Tier 1's as you get access to a lot more peering. It's also hard to beat the response time of a well staffed 24/7 NOC. However, if that single upstream is not that strong, it can definitely be a major liability.
    hhw, netriplex being "single homed" wasn't the issue.

as i recall, they were connected to level3 through wbsconnect.

hhw, netriplex being "single homed" wasn't the issue.
    Unfortunately, they're dual-homed now. At least that's what their routing announcements indicate, and it's a contradiction to what the Network page on their website would have us believe. It says "15 (and growing) transit providers". Well, you could twist that around and say you can REACH fifteen different transit providers through the bandwidth blends from Charter and Bandcon, but they do not actually "have" 15 different transit providers. They have TWO transit providers, who in turn have multiple transit and peering relationships of their own. Using that logic, I could say "we have Sprint transit" because one of our upstreams peers with Sprint, but that's both technically inaccurate and misleading.

Beware the marketing engine.

This all comes as a great disappointment, because our plan was to use Uber in Asheville as a standby/secondary site. Now I'm rather disappointed over what I'm seeing.

as i recall, they were connected to level3 through wbsconnect.
    Back in the good old days, perhaps. Their Level3 "transit" is now courtesy of Bandcon's mix. So in the technical sense, they really don't have Level3 transit.

sekweta, back in the good old days they used to only have point to point to atlanta i think, that's when they had all those providers connected. the good old days :/ i remember going directly over level3 then hitting their router.

sekweta, back in the good old days they used to only have point to point to atlanta i think, that's when they had all those providers connected. the good old days :/ i remember going directly over level3 then hitting their router.
    This was discussed in the past, as far as anyone could see they never had direct ports with anyone they had WBS which is what they were advertising as their ATT/Sprint/Level3, etc.

As mentioned, beware the marketing 'spin'

To dispel the notion that perhaps they have many transit providers and use them for routing outbound traffic (while only announcing 2 inbound paths) I used their website traceroute tool to do outbound traces and hit destinations all over the 'net.

Same result. Everywhere I traced, a Bandcon IP address appeared between Uber and the outside world.

If they really DID put all their Gbps in Charter and Bandcon's baskets, at those commit levels they must have some insanely sweet pricing.
    Last edited by Sekweta; 05-06-2010 at 12:56 PM.

I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall seeing the others as well. I'm not complaining though. I've always had excellent latency and uptime with them whether it's routed through Charter/WBS/whoever.

edit: Looks like I'm getting Bandcon outgoing now. Odd because I saw GBLX just yesterday.
    Last edited by Mike12King; 05-06-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike12King View Post
    I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall seeing the others as well. I'm not complaining though. I've always had excellent latency and uptime with them whether it's routed through Charter/WBS/whoever.

edit: Looks like I'm getting Bandcon outgoing now. Odd because I saw GBLX just yesterday.
    Bandcon has glbx in their mix.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

/me is still waiting for bandcon to respond to wht

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Bandcon has glbx in their mix.
    I guess that's what I saw, but I thought it went directly through GBLX rather than Bandcon first.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast