Thread: Macs vs PC

Macs vs PC

I have always owned PCs but I have lately become infatuated with the idea of a Mac.

My 3 year old Dell has 1 GB of Ram which is just barely enough to run Dreamweaver and photoshop and surf the net etc all at the same time.

If I get a Mac would 2 GB ram be about right?

Is Applecare a good investment

I never use games and primarily use my computer for photos and web building.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thank you!

This thread belongs in the lounge or PC forum. not here.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Quote Originally Posted by fastnoc
    This thread belongs in the lounge or PC forum. not here.
    Wherever is best is fine with me if a moderator wants to move the thread.

My thoughts are primarily on what is best for webdesign which would indirectly make this forum area a good one if not the best one

Quote Originally Posted by Mulberrywood
    I have always owned PCs but I have lately become infatuated with the idea of a Mac.

My 3 year old Dell has 1 GB of Ram which is just barely enough to run Dreamweaver and photoshop and surf the net etc all at the same time.

If I get a Mac would 2 GB ram be about right?

Is Applecare a good investment

I never use games and primarily use my computer for photos and web building.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thank you!
    Hi,

Personally if you get a Mac with 2GB that will give you enough to do whatever for the next years... Sure depends if you get an iMac or a Mac Pro, a Macbook Pro or whatever, they all have different amount of slots available for expansions, iMac (like what I have) can only take 2GB (2 slots). Like I said 2GB for photos and web building would be perfect. My personal Mac had only 512 in it and managed much more than my PC with 2GB.. Macs are good for that. Many cool programs for photo managements, etc..

Apple Care, well.... I don't know, I wouldn't be able to give you any advice on this as I never purchased it for any of my Macs, just didn't see it good nor did my Mac ever had a problem *cross my fingers* not yet. It's been 4 years and no problems, pretty good I think. So in that case it's hard to say.

To give you an idea, my personal iMac right now has 2GB and it's running at 1.8Ghz. I can run Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Font Agent, Firefox, IE, Safari, MSN, Thunderbird, all at once usually without having it halt, freeze, or slow down. All these programs would be active too, have things loaded into memory.

My personal PC, well its different, same amount of ram, much faster but for some reason Photoshop and Illustrator will slow it down enough..

Hope it helps.

PS: For everyone else, I'm not saying I hate PC's nor do I want to start a discussion what is better PC over Mac type of war just a Mac Lover.

Thank you.
    Artur B. @ Kenton Networks, New York Reliable Dedicated Servers with SSD.
    Office: 1.716.220.8995

I myself would stick to Windows. Mainly because it supprots more applications.

I like my PC over my MAC any day...

I have the last years model powerbook 15inch with 2GB and i run all the apps from Adobe and Aperture and Final Cut. It runs fine no complaints on the performance side.

Al tho i don't like iTunes..

For me it was when i travel between networks/locations on a PC i thought i might be more prone to virii and other nasty things, but for a mac i didn't have to bother with the firewalls and virus scanners etc...

When i pull out my mac in front of clients they do look at me odd, i sure wish i had a serial port.

Doesn't look that my 'review' would help be yea
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

I would buy the Apple for sure. You can run both MacOSX and Windows on any mac with an intel processor

An Apple Computer is the best investment you could make Applecare is also great.

You may want to check out macrumors.com which is a good board to ask questions like this one you had

I wouldn't bother with AppleCare, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

2GB's fine.

Make sure you get Core 2 Duo.

Quote Originally Posted by catbones
    Personally if you get a Mac with 2GB that will give you enough to do whatever for the next years...
    Well yes and no - I remember three years ago when 512MB was more than enough RAM. I'd honestly expect 2-3GB to be the standard in a few years time.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

The site about Mac I really like is http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/...advantages.htm. You can read and compare Mac to PC.

Quote Originally Posted by transops
    Well yes and no - I remember three years ago when 512MB was more than enough RAM. I'd honestly expect 2-3GB to be the standard in a few years time.
    Same expectations here.
    /It is very hard to forecast what technology is going to look like in even a few years time, having that faster-than-light nature of development.../

On the topic more specifically - I would recommend definitely a Mac. My reasons are just the same as those of catbones but lacking *the emotional attachment* to Macs . Even objectively compared, a Mac is still the choice to be recommend.

Of course, in the end, Mulberrywood, you have the final say.

Quote Originally Posted by catbones
    Hi,

.... Like I said 2GB for photos and web building would be perfect. My personal Mac had only 512 in it and managed much more than my PC with 2GB.. Macs are good for that. Many cool programs for photo managements, etc..

To give you an idea, my personal iMac right now has 2GB and it's running at 1.8Ghz. I can run Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Font Agent, Firefox, IE, Safari, MSN, Thunderbird, all at once usually without having it halt, freeze, or slow down. All these programs would be active too, have things loaded into memory.

My personal PC, well its different, same amount of ram, much faster but for some reason Photoshop and Illustrator will slow it down enough..

Perfect information! Thank you.

Also thank you so much for the other replies especially the ones with the links for me to explore further.

I have heard that in terms of webdesign Macs have an advantage because the main programs were written first for Macs and later revised for windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulberrywood
    Perfect information! Thank you.

Also thank you so much for the other replies especially the ones with the links for me to explore further.

I have heard that in terms of webdesign Macs have an advantage because the main programs were written first for Macs and later revised for windows.

I have found for my own personal use, that mac software has the best editors I could not live without textmate, transmit ftp and freakin great.

Mac has more web designer software then windows, most of the big guys like Adobe puts out products for both windows and mac at the sametime.

Quote Originally Posted by truz
    I could not live without textmate, transmit ftp and freakin great.
    I couldn't agree more.

Yes, the best editors do belong to Macs.

I can't really advise on a Mac since I don't have one but I do have a Dell laptop which has 1GB of RAM.

In XP it (dreamweaver + photoshop + firefox etc.) use to crash infrequently however since getting Vista, it's yet to crash. While Vista handles memory better, if you have the money and want a Mac, I don't see why not.
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

I’ve owned both a Mac and a PC, but mainly for business purposes. I could recommend a mac, if you can “start over” in apps and there are not apps that you need that are only included on the PC. There are big savings to upgrade an app than starting over and paying full retail again.

In addition, make sure your hardware will work with the mac. My laser printer would work, but only after spending hours trying out different drivers that were not included. Even after I got it to work, the double-sided printing would not work. I had to use a HP driver for a Panasonic.

And jumping from Mac to PC and PC to Mac, was a pain. At the end, I just decided to abandon the Mac and work in the PC full-time.

Macs are nice though… if you won’t have any of the issues above, or don’t mind starting over, then I could recommend them 100%. I more than likely will pickup a new mac later this year when apple releases the new OS. Macs are addicting.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Does the MAC have a built in FYP client and ability to unzip files tar etc..?

If not suggestions?

Dear lord...

First of all, NOT ALL PCS RUN WINDOWS PEOPLE. Thank you. And plus, A PC IS ANYTHING THAT CAN FIT ON OR UNDER A DESK AND CAN COMPUTE. iMacs are PCs.

As for Windows vs OS X, it really depends on what you think. OS X is pricier, has less software available, and the hardware is locked-down to mostly just Apple. The hardware is mostly the same as those in Dells and HPs. I guess it's all due to the iMac's All-in-one approach that people enjoy Mac OS X and Apple's hardware.

I have a personal hate for Mac OS X's interface. I find it assbackwards and a pain to work with.

If you like it, go for it. Don't listen to anyone else.

One last thing: That Dell is prolly slow because it's OS is filled with viruses (Be they malware or not) and nagware+spyware. 1GB is a lot of RAM. KDE flies on machines like that.