Experiencing Severe problems with our Dedicated Server on HostGator

We have been using Dedicated Server (Elite) of HostGator since September 2007, there was never a major problem before.

But, unfortunately, for the last 3 days, we are in great pain using their services.

Firstly the primary drive on the server got failed and all data was lost, there was an empty drive of same size was available on the server which was never used to keep backup/mirror stuff from primary drive.

Secondly, we lost around 25% accounts in this way (were having backups of 75% accounts on our remote FTP account.

Their tech guys could not get success retrieving any of backup from the primary drive (which was failed) instead they said, it's damaged and hard drive is producing clicking noise.

We have been online for the last 48 hours and have been restoring all lost accounts by any means. Almost added everything in the lost accounts manually from scratch and made them working in any way.

Now, as we are set up again, we are having new primary drive, the server again goes offline

Again, our clients are calling us, shouting on us and we are doing nothing except giving them refunds or excuses.

I have been in great pain for the last 48 hours even couldn't sleep properly in all this.

Anyone here can suggest me some other reliable hosting (dedicated server) provider please?

Edit: The server goes offline once again

Thanks in advance!

oh this is ridiculous.. have you considered legal options against them?
    Articles, Blog Posts, Content Development and Copy Writing
    Skype me or Please send a PM for Contact Information

Quote Originally Posted by easternBrain View Post
    oh this is ridiculous.. have you considered legal options against them?
    It's just hectic and paining.

The 2 recent tickets I submitted and never got reply yet:

06:49:36 AM | Aug 14th, 2009

08:31:57 AM | Aug 14th, 2009

It's been about 3 hours and they are not responding via tickets at all

Anyways, trying their live chat once again and once again live chat person is asking me to fill the form of "reboot" request...

Always try to use at least RAID-1 on a server, and perform backups if possible.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Always try to use at least RAID-1 on a server, and perform backups if possible.
    Yes, they enabled it now as far as I know!

Restoring backups was a separate pain, What I am talking about, the frequent down times of the server incurred recently, when it comes to our clients, that just put fuel to a fire...

Quote Originally Posted by aseainme View Post
    We have been using Dedicated Server (Elite) of HostGator since September 2007, there was never a major problem before.

But, unfortunately, for the last 3 days, we are in great pain using their services.

Firstly the primary drive on the server got failed and all data was lost, there was an empty drive of same size was available on the server which was never used to keep backup/mirror stuff from primary drive.

Secondly, we lost around 25% accounts in this way (were having backups of 75% accounts on our remote FTP account.

Their tech guys could not get success retrieving any of backup from the primary drive (which was failed) instead they said, it's damaged and hard drive is producing clicking noise.

We have been online for the last 48 hours and have been restoring all lost accounts by any means. Almost added everything in the lost accounts manually from scratch and made them working in any way.

Now, as we are set up again, we are having new primary drive, the server again goes offline

Again, our clients are calling us, shouting on us and we are doing nothing except giving them refunds or excuses.

I have been in great pain for the last 48 hours even couldn't sleep properly in all this.

Anyone here can suggest me some other reliable hosting (dedicated server) provider please?

Edit: The server goes offline once again

Thanks in advance!
    Unfortunately, one has to take precautions to avoid getting in this situation altogether. Take advantage of RAID-1 (hey you had an unused HD that could have been used for this purpose). Also, backup backup and backup!

What kind of server do you currently have with HG and what is your budget?

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Post it in their forum if you actually want them to fix your problem. They have great techs and are known to go the extra mile to keep a customer happy.

If they are not responding to your tickets it probably means that they are working on it and have the ticket assigned to them self. If you want a response create an account at the forum and make a post there. Also, you can hop on their live chat at they can get someone to update you.

And always remember that hard drives fail sometimes and we have to make the best of a bad situation.
    Last edited by P10n33R; 08-14-2009 at 11:51 AM.

I don't see this as a HG-caused problem. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery. And get that RAID1 configured!
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

I am sorry for your troubles, this does happen to old hardware, this is a wake up call for everyone, we all should look at what we have in place for something like this to happen, how would we deal with similar situation, are you ready for the total fail of your server?

Unfortunately, the server is again offline It's been third time it went down and all I can do to sit back and attend calls of my clients and making desperate attempts to talk with Live Support Guys of HostGator or posting tickets to support

Post it in their forum if you actually want them to fix your problem. They have great techs and are known to go the extra mile to keep a customer happy.

If they are not responding to your tickets it probably means that they are working on it and have the ticket assigned to them self. If you want a response create an account at the forum and make a post there. Also, you can hop on their live chat at they can get someone to update you.

And always remember that hard drives fail sometimes and we have to make the best of a bad situation.
    If they are really so technical what's the hurdle fixing up our server when the server is having a fresh Primary Drive with less accounts then it was having before...

I don't see this as a HG-caused problem. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery. And get that RAID1 configured!
    Experiences vary mate! RAID1 is already configured with new setup.

I am sorry for your troubles, this does happen to old hardware, this is a wake up call for everyone, we all should look at what we have in place for something like this to happen, how would we deal with similar situation, are you ready for the total fail of your server?
    That's most important point I was thinking, the server was having almost 2 years old primary drive (may be more older who knows) May be it's life was over and it went failed!

Hello,

What is your ticket number with us? I'll be more then happy to take a look. A hard drive failing is out of our control but we certainly can get that drive replaced in a timely fashion.

When we sell a server with two drives we have no way of knowing if a customer wants to use it as a storage drive or a backup drive. We are more then happy to set it up as backup drive we just need to be contacted to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hello,

What is your ticket number with us? I'll be more then happy to take a look. A hard drive failing is out of our control but we certainly can get that drive replaced in a timely fashion.

When we sell a server with two drives we have no way of knowing if a customer wants to use it as a storage drive or a backup drive. We are more then happy to set it up as backup drive we just need to be contacted to do so.
    Here is the ticket number: ABI-12160083

I believe the major issue is frequent down time of server now, hard drive matter was resolved already (by tons of manual work from our office's guys)

I would request if you guys kindly move us to some other stable server instead of keeping us in frequent pain

HostGator is a good provider. Dont try to abuse their servers by putting up streaming sites and let ppl download huge files like mp3s. It goes with 98% shared hosts. With Dedicated server you should Not have that limit.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hello,

I noticed that you will set up the second drive as an actual backup drive (with daily backup) rather than part of a RAID set.

Do you offer dedi with RAID controller? Maybe OP is open to an upgrade.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

In addition to all the suggestions provided for having RAID 1, I'd recommend you to have R1Soft's CDP backups in place since they will provide an extra layer of backup solution (in case of RAID failure) and you can perform bare metal restores with CDP backups.

Good luck in getting things back up and normal asap.

Rick
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

The spammer that we informed you about earlier was the reason your server continued to go offline. I see that you tried to suspend this spammer however your suspension did not work due to the account being over it's quota which blocks the .htaccess from being rewritten.

We have suspended this spammer for you and your server is now stable. Please email me if at brent@hostgator.com if you have any more issues.

I noticed that you will set up the second drive as an actual backup drive (with daily backup) rather than part of a RAID set.

Do you offer dedi with RAID controller? Maybe OP is open to an upgrade.
    I believe it must be a best option for us.

The spammer that we informed you about earlier was the reason your server continued to go offline. I see that you tried to suspend this spammer however your suspension did not work due to the account being over it's quota which blocks the .htaccess from being rewritten.

We have suspended this spammer for you and your server is now stable. Please email me if at brent@hostgator.com if you have any more issues.
    Not sure, why tech guys took 7+ hours to recognize with the core problem (spamming on an account and finally blocking it)

Anyways, I have sent you an email already, can you please upgrade us to Pro server http://www.hostgator.com/dedicated.shtml please make sure, it must be a brand new server having RAID controller configured.

In short, I really want to leave this server now, kindly upgrade us to Ded Pro Server ASAP
    Last edited by aseainme; 08-15-2009 at 06:25 AM.

You might want to think about some more advanced managed hosting solutions for running a critical business (such as Gigenet or WiredTree). Hope you get your issues solved.
    I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

Quote Originally Posted by aseainme View Post

Hardware failure can happen with any host wherever you go. The most important here is that you have a remote updated backup to keep on going :-)

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I have to agree with all the other guys in here, You can never be too careful,

Best bet is to go down the three drive route if it's available on that server, 2 drives in a Raid 1 Config and a 3rd set to auto mount/unmount when creating backups, With the addition of remote (Preferably off-site) backups.

Sorry to hear of your issues, I personally would find it quite un-acceptable if the option to use your second drive in Raid wasn't given. But as per, HG are a good provider and i wouldn't be moving out so soon, There are much worse providers out there.