Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

14 year olds running companies.

I see posts about 14 year old kids running hosting companies. It seems that other web hosts despise young web hosts. If the owner is mature enough, has good business skills, and provides a good service, then why would it matter how old the person is?
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.
      0 Not allowed!

School sound to you?
    how about if the child do something wrong and his parents don't let him use the computer?
    A 14 years old person can't legally run a bussines.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

It’s hard for me to get jobs and I am 19! I have more skills then most people with a Microsoft Certified Dummy Cert. they do have kids that have the skills and the maturity. It’s mostly money though.
      0 Not allowed!

1. Can't legally bind contracts
    2. School

I don't have a problem with people working for hosting companies that are that age... as the company will most likely setup some kind of system so that it can still perform even if he/she is not available. If they provide good service, skills, etc, then all the power to them.

However, I think that 14yr's old to own/run a company is a bad idea.
      0 Not allowed!

Wow, i never thought about school. I don't know what i was thinking. Anyway, i thought this would be an interesting thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Note that there is a difference between running and owning a business.....i've met quite a few minors (16/17) that have great business minds with the business registered under their father's name (who in most cases, also has a great business mind)
      0 Not allowed!

"If the owner is mature enough, has good business skills, and provides a good service, then why would it matter how old the person is?"

(Aside from the legal ramifications) Given this exceedingly rare combination then most would have no problem. How many 14 yr olds have good business skills? Many 14 yr olds may think they do, but they don't. Granted there are 30 yr olds who shouldn't be running a business - this board is littered with their failed companies. Could a 14 yr old make a great syadmin? sure, but a business person - very, very rarely.
      0 Not allowed!

The kid could be one of those geniuses that are out of college by 15
      0 Not allowed!

legal issues. Accountability. Its all fine when things go ok but who do you sue when things go wrong? Its not the individual's ability.

hosty
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

Well the most important issue is experience. Do you think running a web hosting business is as easy as 1.2.3 ?

Of course not, however anyone can be a reseller, but what about having enough experience to run it ? This business requires a certain level of knowledge in the use of Internet languages, protocols, and software.

You might think the owner just manage the business, and he will recruit some staffs in different departments. Admins, Sales, Customer services... But since the owner himself has got no experience or might not have enough knowledge of this industry, he may get ripped by his staff.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter
      0 Not allowed!

I think its only logic.
    How can a 14yr old run a business and attend schl at the same time? Running a webhost company asks alot of time to maintain and manage. How much time can a 14 yr old have to do that all at once with schl and whatever he/she is doing in his/her teen life?
    And if hes/shes not going to school then what business skills will he/she have in the future? even for that webhosting company?
      0 Not allowed!

Accountability, availability, efficacy

Accountability - Liable to being called to account;

Assuming they are responsible and accountable in their own nature, you cannot hold them legally accountable. Unless you enter into a contract with their parents you are out-of-luck. This is especially dangerous if something more than just downtime goes wrong...

Availability - Present and ready for use; at hand; accessible

Will school work, friends, and/or girl/boyfriends distract them and take them away from this serious job they are supposed to be doing for you? (Sorry the service was down all afternoon, evening, and night on Friday as well as Saturday morning..I had a date and then slept in. or I can't believe I turned down a date with the girl of my dreams and ruined that opportunity for a fruitful relationship forever because I decided to sit home and upgrade a kernel instead.)

Efficacy - Power or capacity to produce a desired effect; effectiveness.

IF they appear to have it now, will their parents take that away, for whatever reason? Sorry son. That mistake you made was unexcusable and you're grounded from your computer. or Gee son, we love you so much and hate to see you wasting the most precious years of your life in front of that box. For your own good... to encourage you to get outside more, interact with others, and broaden your horizons, we are limiting your computer time to 2 hours per day max.

I'd also really like to think responsible people would rather not put a young mind into a mode where they must decide between Fixing something for a client vs. Study for a test where the grade may have permanent affects on their future.

If the child is focussed on the hosting industry would it not be better for them to become employed with a host that can utilize their services on a part (or in some cases full) time basis? In this way the child continues to enhance his skills in an industry he is dedicated to going into yet allows him time to continue his education and relationships without the risk of ruining his entire life before he's old enough for even a driver's license.

If you're young, I would recommend going the route of obtaining a job in the industry you enjoy most rather than starting the company yourself. Your ability to earn an income is still there, and possibly you'll make even more. Your ability to build your skills in the area is still there, your ability to go on a date without the stress of it is there, and your risk of getting into serious trouble (as well as getting your parents into trouble. see accountability above) is avoided.

My 20 cents...

<edited to fix smiley that was trying to intrude>
    Last edited by Deb; 09-15-2002 at 05:06 PM.
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community
      0 Not allowed!

It's a bad idea. While it may be the same result, it's the same concept as why a client wouldnt wanna hire a 14 lawyer even if he is good enough.
      0 Not allowed!

Btw im not saying its possible, it is, but there are other issues to look at aswell as the post posted by Deb
      0 Not allowed!

If clients know your age and are still willing to sign up I don't see a problem with it. Would you entrust a domain with important contact methods such as email to a 14 year old? However mature you can be at that age you're still missing one vital aspect: real life experience.

Don't rush to grow up. You have over 50 years to act mature once school's done and I guarantee there'll always be another service industry like web hosting to get involved in at that time. Enjoy what youth provides: make friends, party (call it networking if you're a business nut), and play football.

Sincerely,

-Matt
    Matt Meier, RackNine Inc.
    email: mmeier@racknine.com
    web: http://www.racknine.com
      0 Not allowed!

If you really want to hire a kid, hire them to make you logos or webpages or templates or something. Have them script for you.

Anyways, there's plenty of people with kids to feed that would love your business hosting.

-WC-
      0 Not allowed!

Yes they can, they cannot legally own a business though ( http://www.njdiscjockey.com ). I run a disc jockey company that I started last year (I'm 15 now), and the DBA is filed under my dad's name, so he technically owns the company, and he signs the contracts.

I am responsible, and I DJ dances and parties in my spare time. I work my business around school, since it doesn't require me to be available 24/7/365, like a webhosting business would.

- Matt
      0 Not allowed!

I really don't know how anyone in school could do it. I work 16-18hrs per day and i still think I could be doing more...I coudn't imaging that you would be able to provide effective service while going to school.

Get your education first then come join the hosting world. You might realize it isn't really what ya wanna do. (not me though )
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Jedito
    School sound to you?
    how about if the child do something wrong and his parents don't let him use the computer?
    Actually they can run a business legally, I called up our business people here in utah, they said you can be any age and have a business license. What do kids do out of school? Some go skate boarding, some go out with friends, and some stay home on the computer. People may think they need a life besides sitting on the computer, well usually us teenagers don't care what you think. We like to do what we like to do. I started web hosting when I was 15, I am now 16 and by staying home on the computer every night I have learned a tremendous amount of knowledge. I do have a social life, student government, school, and lots of friends. I do business on the side preparing me for life. I have a business license for www.truji.net but I am unable to get a merchant gateway, I am in the process of having someone older sign up for me. Now, what if the teeanger did something bad and the parents got sued for it, any smart parent wouldn't just take their kid away from the computer. If they did then what happens to the customers? Most likely the parents will get sued some more, so most parents would legally shutdown the company before just banning their teenager from the computer. Anyways, those are my thoughts.
      0 Not allowed!

Why not hire the 14 year old doctor next time someone needs an operation?

mainarea sounds like a responsible 15 year old. He understands he doesn't have the time run a business.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by OverSkilled

. . . . . . . .well usually us teenagers don't care what you think. . . . . . . .
    Well, another great reason why they shouldn't try running a business.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Why not hire the 14 year old doctor next time someone needs an operation?

mainarea sounds like a responsible 15 year old. He understands he doesn't have the time run a business.
    Hey, there are 13 year olds that already have graduated from college.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by OverSkilled

Hey, there are 13 year olds that already have graduated from college.
    Yeh. There are retired people that never graduated Elementary School. So, what's your point?
      0 Not allowed!

What's wron with 14 year olds?
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

I believe first of all it's better to clarify if you mean a real hosting business or just being a reseller ?

Cause if you look around the Reseller forum in WHT you'll find out most of them are teenagers. So that's totally different if that gentleman meant to be a web hosting reseller or running his business in real meaning.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast