Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Help Configuring Bind on VPS (CentOS6)

Hey guys I have ordered a VPS and am currently setting it up. I have learnt alot today and am enjoying it thoroughly. Now I have hit a bit of a halt. Ill explain it below:

When ordering the server I had to put in hostname and dns names that I choose. As I hadnt registered the domain I want to use for the VPN yet, I just put another one of my domains in there. But since gaining access to my server I reinstalled from Ubuntu and went to CentOS 6. Now to my knowledge I believe that that would have "deleted" the previous dns configurations anyway. So now I have been looking at some guides to installing Bind such as:

http://www.ehowstuff.com/how-to-inst...os-6-2-x86_64/

Now that link explains a bit, bit before I do anything I want to know for certain which parts I change to my domain name. Is it just where it says example.com I replace with myregistereddomain.com

If thats correct, its alot easier than people were making it out to be.

Thanks to any and all replies I get, Ill be online all night so I will reply pretty quick

Yes, you certainly need to replace example.com with myregistereddomain.com. However, you also need to replace 192.168.1.20 with whatever your VPS' IP is in the example.com zone configuration.

As a side note, consider the use of NSD instead of BIND. NSD uses the same BIND style zone configuration files but is known to use significantly less RAM memory than BIND.

Thanks for that advice, I need to minimize the use of ram as much as possible, this should help heaps, Ill give NSD ago now, and report back how I go

You may want to start with a panel -- VirtualMin GPL, for example.
    Use it, then learn from it.
    Eventually, you can back yourself into knowing fully manual server usage.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Yes, a hosting control panel will take care of DNS for you. Try something free like Kloxo.

Thanks for the recommendations, Kloxo looks the most noob friendly, but Ive read an outdated topic that its a huge resource hog. Is this still true today, as for me i need to save on as much resources as possible

I don't have experience with Kloxo, but Webmin has a pretty decent interface for setting up DNS.

If you are concerned about resources, there is nothing stopping you from only running the control panel when you need to make changes to your DNS configuration. That's what I do with Webmin (I know how to configure BIND manually from the command line, but find Webmin quicker and easier, so that's what I use. It's the only thing I don't do from the command line). I just fire up the Webmin service when I need to make a change, log in and do my thing, then stop the Webmin service.

Awesome, Ill give webmin a go again, as I have had it installed before, so it musnt be too hard, although ive learn alot since i first installed it. And since its got the option to turn it off, It may be a wise decision to have it installed anyway. Thanks again!!

Ok, I installed webmin, And was absolutely confused with the settings. It might just be that im tired, and ill wake up in the morning and get it all setup straight away. But I followed this guide which was provided to me by my host:

http://michigantelephone.wordpress.c...nection-fails/

Im following everything he does, Im wondering where he puts the 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.1 IP addresses, do I put the same, or do I put the servers IP address. When I had finished with the tutorial I went to the Name Server Records in mydomain.com and instead of seeing ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com I get something along the lines of mydomain.ot

So obviously I am not on the right track. Please someone lead me in the right direction once again. I am slowly learning and thats all that matters

webmin is great but has way too many details and options in my view. Many times I was doing configuration from the command line then checking where in webmin changes would show up as I couldn't figure out the terminology. It has help files for most modules which is a plus but not too many examples for beginners. It will take you time to be familiar with it but has lots of advantages precisely because of the detailed options and you can customize it.

Another option is ISPConfig it's much simpler to use at the expense of the bundled modules. But it's also open source which means you can customize it for your own requirements and integrate whatever you want later on.

If you have programming knowledge with perl, php etc and you plan to customize it then check that too it may help.

For your dns config with webmin now you could check video tutorials first they're a bit easier to follow:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtnLTHlH0oU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm-xk835PtQ

Oh thank you very much for the video tutorials, Im going to check them out right away. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpoulte View Post
    Oh thank you very much for the video tutorials, Im going to check them out right away. Thanks
    I've written a comprehensive tutorial for configuring a VPS from the bottom up.

http://entomy.com/VPS-Server-Configuration-Guide.pdf

That should get you running.

Thats absolutely perfect, I would prefer it if they were for debian specifically, but Im sure theres a workaround for what I need. Thanks heaps.

Thats absolutely perfect, I would prefer it if they were for debian specifically, but Im sure theres a workaround for what I need. Thanks heaps.
    You're a lot better off with CentOS for a variety of reasons. CentOS is an enterprise solution that's more suitable for commercial service. CentOS is based on Redhat, so your Linux skills will be portable to IT settings.

Yea Ive reinstalled to Centos6, But the guide says 5.5, Will this make a difference, Or if I install 5.5 will I have issues with security or anything in particular. Or is it perfectly safe to use 5.5

Thanks

Yea Ive reinstalled to Centos6, But the guide says 5.5, Will this make a difference, Or if I install 5.5 will I have issues with security or anything in particular. Or is it perfectly safe to use 5.5

Thanks
    There are recipes out there for installing Kloxo on CentOS6. I've experimented with it but was never confident that it was stable. I recommend staying with CentOS 5.x 32-bit until Kloxo is specifically ported to newer CentOS platforms.

You're not going to have security issues with CentOS 5 as long as you apply yum updates regularly. That's covered in the tutorial.

Ok Thats what I will do then, Thanks alot!!!

I think this guide may be a little bit outdated, as I dont think im doing anything wrong, I have installed webmin before but not on Cent, so maybe Im in the wrong, But I downloaded the webmin using wget to the cd temp folder.

Now it says I must use this to install webmin: rpm –Uvh webmin.rpm
    Which throws up a heap of commands, If I add -i to the command it throws up yet another error.

Im off to bed now but in the morning ill reply back to report how I go. And just another thing its 3am here so if its a simple error, its all my fault

I use webmin on Debian in just 10-15 megs memory.

I think this guide may be a little bit outdated, as I dont think im doing anything wrong, I have installed webmin before but not on Cent, so maybe Im in the wrong, But I downloaded the webmin using wget to the cd temp folder.

Now it says I must use this to install webmin: rpm –Uvh webmin.rpm
    Which throws up a heap of commands, If I add -i to the command it throws up yet another error.

Im off to bed now but in the morning ill reply back to report how I go. And just another thing its 3am here so if its a simple error, its all my fault
    Should work. Are you using CentOS 5.x 32-bit?

I pretty much use the upgrade switch (-U) all the time, since it reverts to a straight if there is no rpm package to upgrade. But you can do it with the "-i switch.

# rpm -i webmin.rpm

What error do you get with that?

PS - I've changed the command in the guide to "-i" for simplicity, but it still should work either way.
    Last edited by ajonate; 04-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Ok, I got it working only with the -1 in the command. With the original commaand without the -1 I was getting this, Its not really an error, but looks like its saying its missing a command:

[-p|--package] [-W|--ftswalk] [--pkgid] [--hdrid] [--fileid]
    [--specfile] [--triggeredby] [--whatrequires] [--whatprovides]
    [--nomanifest] [-c|--configfiles] [-d|--docfiles] [--dump] [-l|--list]
    [--queryformat=QUERYFORMAT] [-s|--state] [--nomd5] [--nofiles]
    [--nodeps] [--noscript] [--comfollow] [--logical] [--nochdir]
    [--nostat] [--physical] [--seedot] [--xdev] [--whiteout]
    [--addsign] [-K|--checksig] [--delsign] [--import] [--resign]
    [--nodigest] [--nosignature] [--initdb] [--rebuilddb] [--aid]
    [--allfiles] [--allmatches] [--badreloc] [-e|--erase <package>+]
    [--excludedocs] [--excludepath=<path>] [--fileconflicts] [--force]
    [-F|--freshen <packagefile>+] [-h|--hash] [--ignorearch] [--ignoreos]
    [--ignoresize] [-i|--install] [--justdb] [--nodeps] [--nomd5]
    [--nocontexts] [--noorder] [--nosuggest] [--noscripts]
    [--notriggers] [--oldpackage] [--percent] [--prefix=<dir>]
    [--relocate=<old>=<new>] [--repackage] [--replacefiles]
    [--replacepkgs] [--test] [-U|--upgrade <packagefile>+] [--quiet]
    [-D|--define 'MACRO EXPR'] [-E|--eval 'EXPR'] [--macros=<FILE:...>]

And the list goes on. But now webmin is installed and I can continue on with the guide

Ok, I got it working only with the -1 in the command. With the original commaand without the -1 I was getting this, Its not really an error, but looks like its saying its missing a command:

<snip>

And the list goes on. But now webmin is installed and I can continue on with the guide
    I'll take any success.

But the parameter was supposed to be -i (a hyphen and a small letter I). You appear to have been using -1 (a hyphen and the digit one), which is an unknown parameter.
    Last edited by ajonate; 04-07-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Lol im not that much of a noob, I just noticed in my post that I wrote 1, But on putty I was definetly using an i. But yes I got it working, Webmins installed and I am now instaling putty. Thanks

Ok, Now installing Kloxo, The file that I have to download throws a 404 error, Instead it has to be:

# wget http://download.lxcenter.org/downloa...o-installer.sh

and then run:

# sh ./kloxo-installer.sh --type=master

Ok, Now installing Kloxo, The file that I have to download throws a 404 error, Instead it has to be:

# wget http://download.lxcenter.org/downloa...o-installer.sh

and then run:

# sh ./kloxo-installer.sh --type=master
    You are indeed correct. Thank you.

The guide has been updated accordingly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast